Leaking Struts - Possibly - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
  • 1 Post By Keystone
  • 1 Post By DreaminAccord
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-17-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Leaking Struts - Possibly

I've been going to the same (non-dealer) garage for five years, but lately they've been making me feel like they're pushing repairs too hard. Today, I declined strut replacement as the service writer was unable to show me the leakage and the tech wasn't there. Supposedly, the front left and rear left were both leaking. If true, I agree all four should be replaced - if true.

Also, I thought $1500 was too much for the work; again, I thought things just weren't as they should be. I just don't trust them anymore.

Leaving aside my trust issues, if I find they were right about the leaking struts, what should four struts cost to replace at a reputable mechanic shop that isn't a dealer?

(2005 Accord four-door, I4)

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-17-2015, 06:54 PM
3rd Gear

wow that is way too much just for the struts. buy the whole assembly online and replace them yourself checkout DYI videos is not that hard of a job. I believe you are looking at 150 each side so it will be around 600 for the parts plus shipping from hondapartsunlimited.com, college hills, bernardi etc... you pick. Good luck and do yourself a favor run away from that place.

post #3 of 9 Old 04-17-2015, 07:29 PM
BRWNFLSH now

OEM strut assemblies would cost $6-700, so that would leave $800 for labor, for something that should only take a professional few hours. But good luck finding a shop that will not bend you over. If they charge much less, they are probably using some cheap aftermarket struts.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far

post #4 of 9 Old 04-17-2015, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Do I need the whole OEM strut assembly or can I get by with having four struts only replaced?
post #5 of 9 Old 04-17-2015, 08:02 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
Do I need the whole OEM strut assembly or can I get by with having four struts only replaced?
It is best to get the entire assemblies replaced, because you will get all new springs and mounting hats. In addition, you may be able to save a little money on labor charges if you get the entire assembly replaced instead of just the shocks, since there is no spring compression required when replacing the entire assembly.

However, $1500 is a ridiculous price for 4 shocks, even at the dealer! When I needed my front shocks replaced last year, the Honda dealer quoted about $600 including genuine Honda parts and an alignment afterwards. I didn't end up having it done at the dealer, but I just wanted to throw that number out there to show you how outrageous $1500 is for all 4.

By the way, 7th gen Accords technically use shocks and not struts. Macpherson struts didn't make it into the Accord until the 9th generation . 7th gen Accords still use double wishbones at all 4 corners, with coilover spring/shock assemblies.

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
post #6 of 9 Old 04-17-2015, 10:56 PM
Reflections Auto Detail

Last weekend I replaced the entire strut assy. on both sides of the front end of my son-in-law's Mustang GT and I'd never done struts before. These were coil-overs too. The only things that weren't replaced were the coil springs. As noted above, it's really not that difficult of a job. You just have to be respectful of the springs when compressing them - there's enough energy being compressed to kill you or at least leave you permanently messed up.
Bought the struts, tie rod ends and stabilizer bar end links from RockAuto for a fraction of what they would have been at a Honda dealer or any shop for that matter.

Just did a quick check for struts for your car at RA.
They've got a strut kit which includes all 4 struts (OE Monroe gas struts, mounting kits and bellows & strut-mate bumper kit) for $299.00 - That's 1/5 the price you were quoted for those keeping score at home. I realize that doesn't include labor but c'mon... you have to figure they're getting their parts pretty darn close to that price so in reality, they're quoting you $1200 labor for a 3-4 hour job - hood up to hood closed.
If nothing else, at least do the rears yourself. They're super easy.

Just food for thought.

2003 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 3.0L V6 A/T
220,200 miles on original transmission!
Satin Silver
Full Nose Mask & Bra
SuperBrite Interior LED Kit
Eagle Alloys Chrome 192's
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 245/45/17 Tires

"You may want to invest in a torque wrench, since your torque by feel only consists of gorilla mode." - Drew03Accord

Eat, Sleep, Detail, Repeat.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-18-2015, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03EX View Post
By the way, 7th gen Accords technically use shocks and not struts. Macpherson struts didn't make it into the Accord until the 9th generation . 7th gen Accords still use double wishbones at all 4 corners, with coilover spring/shock assemblies.

Color me embarrassed - I knew that, and I recall shaking my head with sadness over the change to the Gen9...

The shop referred to them as struts, and I knew I didn't want to do struts, so the two parts of my brain didn't connect. I have done shocks and they're easy. My, oh my.

Here's a link:

Thanks, all.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-20-2015, 09:31 AM
3rd Gear

It should be very obvious if they're leaking. This is what my front driver's side looked like when I got underneath it to check on the rattling noise was hearing over every bump in the road.
Attached Images
DreaminAccord likes this.

'05 Accord Coupe SE - 2.4, 5MT (Daily Driver)

'03 Dodge Ram 1500 - 4.7, 5AT (Work Truck)

'12 KTM 500EXC; '04 Ducati Multistrada 1000
post #9 of 9 Old 04-20-2015, 10:40 AM
I <3 My Honda

An even easier way to check struts, rather than disassembling or climbing under the car is just by doing the "bounce check" on each corner. This isn't the definitive diagnosis test BUT it's a good starting point.

Sheit. For $1500 you could purchase some of the best coilovers AND get them installed Find a new garage.
7gAccCarter likes this.

Ben

'07 EX-L HFP V6 Coupe w/ Navi - "Tawonda"
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather
(Sold 07/26/17)

'17 Touring HFP V6 Coupe - "Bianca"
White Orchid Pearl / Black Ivory Leather
(Purchased 5/18/17)
The Following User Says Thank You to DreaminAccord For This Useful Post:
7gAccCarter (04-20-2015)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.