03 Accord Transmission - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

03 Accord Transmission

I am new to this forum and to Honda !
Just bought my first 03 Accord LX 4cyl AT 40,000 miles. I have read alot about how bad the 03 Accord AT is, should I be worried? I checked by running the VIN on the honda website and the recall for the AT from Honda was done on the car. I still plan on taking to the my local Honda dealer and having the fuild and filter replaced.

Thanks for the help !

Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 08:05 AM

I wouldn't be too worried. The prev gen had more probs. There was a guy on here who got 238k on his 03 4cyl before trading it in. He was on the orig trans. He was doing mostly hwy miles which helps alot and changing the atf on a regular basis. What color is your atf?

post #3 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply and sorry about the double post wasn't sure if it was in the right area. I will check the color and reply back

post #4 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 01:57 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
The only "recall" on the 4 bangers was a no reverse under certain conditions.....
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 03 4 cyl AT 03-042.pdf (93.8 KB, 663 views)
post #5 of 10 Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Then I am not sure what this is about, It does list the 2003 accord
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Tranny Recall.pdf (152.3 KB, 894 views)
post #6 of 10 Old 04-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Token Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1antbo View Post
Then I am not sure what this is about, It does list the 2003 accord
Although it doesn't say so explicitly (I wonder why?), the answer is that it's about models with 6-cylinder engines.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"The legitimate powers of government extend only to such acts as are injurious to others." -- Thomas Jefferson

04 San Marino Red Accord EX-Navi Coupe V6 6MT
post #7 of 10 Old 04-24-2009, 02:37 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
If your VIN is on it, then you must have a V6.....
post #8 of 10 Old 05-28-2009, 02:59 PM
2nd Gear

I know this posting is a bit old but someone suggested to me somewhere to sign up for Honda OwnerLink
from there I see that it shows my car as being a part of a recall for the tranny

Here is the press release it has.

American Honda Expands Voluntary Transmission Recall to Certain Honda and Acura Automobiles

Torrance, Calif. 06/29/2004 -- American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today announced that it will expand its existing voluntary recall of light truck models for a potential transmission defect to include certain Honda and Acura passenger cars. The voluntary action involves approximately 499,000 Honda and Acura passenger vehicles with V6 engines and 5-speed automatic transmissions. Affected models include certain 2003 and early 2004 model Accord V6 sedans and coupes, 2000-2003 and early 2004 Acura TL sedans, and 2001-2003 Acura CL coupes.

The company has found only one confirmed instance of a transmission failure related to this defect in its passenger cars, with no accidents or injuries. "We are acting out of an abundance of caution to ensure that this doesn't become an issue for our customers,'" said Tom Elliott, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

The situation is created by insufficient lubrication of the transmission's secondary shaft second gear that can occur under certain driving conditions. Prolonged operation under these conditions can lead to heat build-up and under certain circumstances may eventually result in chipped or broken gear teeth or breakage of the gear. In the event of a chipped or broken tooth, the owner will likely experience abnormal noise from the transmission and seek repairs. In rare instances, this condition may lead to gear breakage and possible locking of the vehicle's transmission, creating a potential safety hazard.

Owners of affected vehicles will be contacted via mail and will be asked to take their vehicle to an authorized Honda or Acura dealer to be repaired free of charge. Customer mailings will begin in late July. In most cases, the repair involves a simple gear inspection, which is accomplished without removing or disassembling the transmission, and a modification to increase the flow of transmission fluid to the affected gear. If there is any indication of damage to the gear, the dealer will replace the complete transmission assembly. Customers concerned about the condition of their vehicle may visit Honda's Ownerlink website at . Customers may also contact their local Honda or Acura dealer or call Honda customer service at 1-800-999-1009 or Acura customer service at 1-800-382-2238.

Editor's note: This information is being released in conjunction with an announcement concerning a related recall action for Honda models in Japan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a copy of the letter that was sent out to the owners of Accords I am assuming (people that bought theirs new)
Summer 2004

Safety Recall: Accord V6 Automatic Transmission Second Gear Inspection

Dear Accord Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

What is the reason for this notice?
Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has decided that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2003-04 Accord V6 vehicles with automatic transmissions.

Certain operating conditions can result in heat buildup in the transmission second gear set and may lead to gear tooth chipping. In very rare cases, gear breakage can occur. Gear failure could result in transmission lock-up, and a crash could occur without warning.

What should you do?
Call any authorized Honda dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. For vehicles with less than 15,000 miles, the dealer will install an oil jet kit to provide additional lubrication to the gears. For vehicles with more than 15,000 miles, the dealer will inspect the affected gear for heat discoloration, which indicates possible damage. If heat discoloration exists, the dealer will replace the transmission. If heat discoloration is not found, the dealer will install an oil jet kit. This work will be done free of charge. Please plan to leave your vehicle all day to allow the dealer flexibility in scheduling the inspection and installing the oil jet kit. If transmission replacement is needed, the work will take more than one day.

Who to contact if you experience problems.
If you are not satisfied with the service you receive from your Honda dealer, you may write to:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

If you believe that American Honda or the dealer has failed or is unable to remedy the defect in your vehicle, without charge, within a reasonable period of time (60 days from the date you first contact the dealer for a repair appointment), you may submit a complaint to:

Administrator
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
400 Seventh Street, SW
Washington, DC 20590

Or call the toll-free Safety Hotline at (888) 327-4236.

What to do if you feel this notice is in error.
Our records show that you are the current owner or lessee of a 2003-04 Accord involved in this campaign. If this is not the case, or the name/address information is not correct, please fill out and return the enclosed, postage-paid Information Change Card. We will then update our records.

If you paid to have the transmission replaced, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Refer to the attached instructions for eligibility requirements and the reimbursement procedure.

Lessor Information.
Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within 10 days.

If you have questions.
If you have any questions about this notice, or need assistance with contacting a Honda dealer, please call Honda Automobile Customer Service at (800) 999-1009, and select menu option #2.

We apologize for any inconvenience this campaign may cause you.

Sincerely,

American Honda Motor Co. Inc.

Honda Automobile Division
post #9 of 10 Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 AM
My First Post

Can you replace an '03 tranny with an '05 tranny? Or any other year for that matter?
post #10 of 10 Old 01-10-2012, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess View Post
The only "recall" on the 4 bangers was a no reverse under certain conditions.....
i think even with that recall for 2003 accord L4 that wont stop me from getting a second hand accord. anyway m/t is not affected by the recall so i think it will be a go signal for me to continue aiming for that 2003 accord. used but still in good condition. anyway thanks for the info whether you are still active or not. just wanted to make sure before buying a thing.

honda is everything to me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for it are becoming cheaper these days . y transfer to other faulty automakers?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.