What causes BAD Fuel Economy? I am only getting about 17 MPG. HELP! - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

What causes BAD Fuel Economy? I am only getting about 17 MPG. HELP!

Hello,

I have a 2005 Honda Accord EX i4 sedan, auto, 53,500 miles

For the past three fill-ups (since I owned the car), I measured and calculated the miles driven and the gallons that are filled up into the tank and have consistently gotten about 17-18mpg.

I hear of people averaging about ~25 mpg which I can never get!

All four tires are new and balanced (General HP) and also all the brakes/rotors have been checked (recently replaced rear rotors/brakes). Mechanic also checked ball joints, axles and they seem to be fine.

One thing he suspects is possibly a rear left wheel bearing (wheel hub assembly?) that may start to have play (but I don't hear any humming noise just as of yet, though sometimes notice very slight wobble when turning right).

Pumping gas every week is starting to bother me, before in my Civic I would pump every two weeks. And I drive carefully and don't accelerate hard etc.

What do you guys think causes poor fuel economy like this? The bearing, the new tires?

Please help, thanks!

Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 10:57 AM
3rd Gear

tune up?

oil change, this and that change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

- Manual or automatic?
- Driving-style (ie. aggressive, enthusiast, average, conservative, Mr. Sweetchuck)?
- location (ie. elevation/altitude, mountains/hills)?
- % of city:highway miles?
- Service-history (ie. plugs, oil-changes, air-filter, injectors/fuel-system)?
- Mods' (ie. larger/heavier after-market rims, exhaust, intake, etc')?
- Fuel used (ie. % ethanol-based, etc')?
- Overall performance (ie. bogging, sluggish, underwhelming, throttle response, etc')?

I'd consider checking the tire air-pressures, resetting the ECU (disconnect/reconnect the battery), check all the filters/plugs, etc'. Also consider a D.I.Y. fuel-system cleaning (possible the injectors are clogged or not operating optimally, it happens), replace the inexpensive fuel-filter, etc'. Just thinkin' out-loud. . .

post #4 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
tune up?

oil change, this and that change.
Did oil change at dealership three weeks ago. Changed cabin air filter myself. Will be attempting to change air filter myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris_x11 View Post
- Manual or automatic?
- Driving-style (ie. aggressive, enthusiast, average, conservative, Mr. Sweetchuck)?
- location (ie. elevation/altitude, mountains/hills)?
- % of city:highway miles?
- Service-history (ie. plugs, oil-changes, air-filter, injectors/fuel-system)?
- Mods' (ie. larger/heavier after-market rims, exhaust, intake, etc')?
- Fuel used (ie. % ethanol-based, etc')?
- Overall performance (ie. bogging, sluggish, underwhelming, throttle response, etc')?

I'd consider checking the tire air-pressures, resetting the ECU (disconnect/reconnect the battery), check all the filters/plugs, etc'. Also consider a D.I.Y. fuel-system cleaning (possible the injectors are clogged or not operating optimally, it happens), replace the inexpensive fuel-filter, etc'. Just thinkin' out-loud. . .

Thanks for the long list!

It is automatic, average driver, live in urban city (Ottawa, Canada), about 70% city/30%hwy, recently did oil change, transmission flush, wheels are stock alloy 16", fuel used is 89 octane (not sure if ethanol based)

Asked the dealership about changing o2 sensor or spark plugs (sometimes i hear these can be a cause), they said unless the "check engine" light is on for the former, or if more than 100k miles for the latter, than no need.

I made sure tire-pressures are 5psi higher all around. Don't know about resetting ECU, not sure about the fuel-system injector cleaning / filter stuff.
post #5 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 11:58 AM
3rd Gear

heeey im from Ottawa.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 02:00 PM

The type of driving you do is why you're only seeing such dismal mileage.

The I4 has to work harder to move the car in repeated stop go driving, how far is your daily drive to work? Less than 10 miles each way, expect no better.

My '04 V6 6 speed, when I visit Winnipeg, the SLOWEST, most idiotic amount of 3, 4 and more way stops, driving I've ever encountered, I can only manage 24. That is piggish for my car.

That wheel bearing would just about have to have the tire dragging to make the car eat fuel. At 53k, there should be no issues with spark plugs, or air/fuel sensors. The valves should still have the same clearances they did when it was built, I've very rarely seen a K24 have way out of adjustment valves.

Gregster on here had a similar issue with his '05, it was actually worse on fuel that yours. Honda deemed it normal. Although when I looked at it, cam to crank timing was off (retarded) by one tooth. Honda said that it wasn't and it ended there.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #7 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 05:21 PM
5th Gear

I recorded 17mpg a couple weeks ago on my '05 I4 EXL; but then again, I was driving to work that week (less than 2 miles) even though before I usually walk. I also was driving out and about more than usual; the city traffic around my area gets pretty congested.

I went ahead and seafoamed, changed my spark plugs, air filter, cleaned my MAF sensor, and a oil change. I went ahead an drove a mixed freeway/city driving and recorded 26mpg.

Maybe my car needed the tune up, but I have a feeling it may have been the short distance driving along with bad WaWa gas

My Accord is getting old, with 105,*** miles.
post #8 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
The type of driving you do is why you're only seeing such dismal mileage.

The I4 has to work harder to move the car in repeated stop go driving, how far is your daily drive to work? Less than 10 miles each way, expect no better.

My '04 V6 6 speed, when I visit Winnipeg, the SLOWEST, most idiotic amount of 3, 4 and more way stops, driving I've ever encountered, I can only manage 24. That is piggish for my car.

That wheel bearing would just about have to have the tire dragging to make the car eat fuel. At 53k, there should be no issues with spark plugs, or air/fuel sensors. The valves should still have the same clearances they did when it was built, I've very rarely seen a K24 have way out of adjustment valves.

Gregster on here had a similar issue with his '05, it was actually worse on fuel that yours. Honda deemed it normal. Although when I looked at it, cam to crank timing was off (retarded) by one tooth. Honda said that it wasn't and it ended there.
My daily commute is less than 10 miles each way.
I have yet to drive solid highway. But will be testing this in a couple weeks when I head for a short trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarmin View Post
I recorded 17mpg a couple weeks ago on my '05 I4 EXL; but then again, I was driving to work that week (less than 2 miles) even though before I usually walk. I also was driving out and about more than usual; the city traffic around my area gets pretty congested.

I went ahead and seafoamed, changed my spark plugs, air filter, cleaned my MAF sensor, and a oil change. I went ahead an drove a mixed freeway/city driving and recorded 26mpg.

Maybe my car needed the tune up, but I have a feeling it may have been the short distance driving along with bad WaWa gas

My Accord is getting old, with 105,*** miles.

Interesting. Where is the MAF sensor (is it that square/silver sensor between the tube and air filter box?) And how would you go about cleaning this?
post #9 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 05:59 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymcpcp View Post
Interesting. Where is the MAF sensor (is it that square/silver sensor between the tube and air filter box?) And how would you go about cleaning this?
Correct, its attached right next to the filter box. Just unscrew it, detach it, and take it out; please be careful, its quite sensitive.

I used MAF sensor cleaner; you should be able to find it at the local auto parts store. I suppose a electronic cleaner will also work.

I once did this to my old Cavalier, and the slightly harsh idling actually went away! Usually the shops try to get you to pay the $100+ to replace it.
post #10 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

FWIW my 05 4 cylinder auto gets pretty bad mileage in the city. 22 is about normal for all city, stop & go, short trip driving. My lowest ever was 19 mpg. That was in the cold, cold winter, 100% city driving, and letting it warm up in the driveway every morning for 10 minutes or so.

Mine will still pull 35 mpg on the highway, for whatever reason its really bad in the city.

Dave in WI
2005 Accord 4AT
2006 Toyota Sienna
2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
1975 Honda XL100
1988 Yamaha DT50
post #11 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 06:26 PM
5th Gear

It sucks. Its the whole reason I choose a 4-cylinder; admitting, a pretty good one.

*wonders what the 6-cylinder gets*
post #12 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 09:17 PM
4th Gear

I have the V6 and if I do a lot of in town driving Ill get 22mpg or so. Kind of sucks because most people buy the I4 thinking their going to get better gas mileage which is true if your doing highway but because the Accord is extremely torque stingy the I4 suffers with even less torque which could cause horrible city mpg

Looking to make a nice car even nicer....

2003 Accord EX-L AV6
post #13 of 35 Old 04-19-2009, 09:22 AM
3rd Gear

iuno guys
but city/hwy i get amazing mileage.

change ur air filter. it'll do wonders... :P you never know it could be so clogged up..

post #14 of 35 Old 04-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymcpcp View Post
Try this:

Seafoam, clean MAF and new fluids

Also, I see you mentioned a transmission fluid "flush"? That is a big no-no. Only drop and replace your fluid with Honda Z1, never flush.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

post #15 of 35 Old 04-19-2009, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
iuno guys
but city/hwy i get amazing mileage.

change ur air filter. it'll do wonders... :P you never know it could be so clogged up..
I'll be doing that very soon myself. Was going to also get some air flow sensor cleaner before doing the whole thing. I'll report back after a fuel fill-up interval and see if it makes much of a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
Try this:

Seafoam, clean MAF and new fluids

Also, I see you mentioned a transmission fluid "flush"? That is a big no-no. Only drop and replace your fluid with Honda Z1, never flush.
Thanks for the link, good tutorial, i will be following this one.

As for the "flush", sorry didn't mean to say that, bad terminology. Took it to the dealer couple weeks ago to do this, it was more of a transmission "drain and fill".

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.