What causes BAD Fuel Economy? I am only getting about 17 MPG. HELP! - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What causes BAD Fuel Economy? I am only getting about 17 MPG. HELP!

Hello,

I have a 2005 Honda Accord EX i4 sedan, auto, 53,500 miles

For the past three fill-ups (since I owned the car), I measured and calculated the miles driven and the gallons that are filled up into the tank and have consistently gotten about 17-18mpg.

I hear of people averaging about ~25 mpg which I can never get!

All four tires are new and balanced (General HP) and also all the brakes/rotors have been checked (recently replaced rear rotors/brakes). Mechanic also checked ball joints, axles and they seem to be fine.

One thing he suspects is possibly a rear left wheel bearing (wheel hub assembly?) that may start to have play (but I don't hear any humming noise just as of yet, though sometimes notice very slight wobble when turning right).

Pumping gas every week is starting to bother me, before in my Civic I would pump every two weeks. And I drive carefully and don't accelerate hard etc.

What do you guys think causes poor fuel economy like this? The bearing, the new tires?

Please help, thanks!

zymcpcp is offline
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 10:57 AM
3rd Gear

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tune up?


oil change, this and that change.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mktng is offline
post #3 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Osiris_x11's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
location: Austin, Republic of Texas
Posts: 5,667
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
- Manual or automatic?
- Driving-style (ie. aggressive, enthusiast, average, conservative, Mr. Sweetchuck)?
- location (ie. elevation/altitude, mountains/hills)?
- % of city:highway miles?
- Service-history (ie. plugs, oil-changes, air-filter, injectors/fuel-system)?
- Mods' (ie. larger/heavier after-market rims, exhaust, intake, etc')?
- Fuel used (ie. % ethanol-based, etc')?
- Overall performance (ie. bogging, sluggish, underwhelming, throttle response, etc')?

I'd consider checking the tire air-pressures, resetting the ECU (disconnect/reconnect the battery), check all the filters/plugs, etc'. Also consider a D.I.Y. fuel-system cleaning (possible the injectors are clogged or not operating optimally, it happens), replace the inexpensive fuel-filter, etc'. Just thinkin' out-loud. . .
Osiris_x11 is offline

post #4 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
tune up?


oil change, this and that change.
Did oil change at dealership three weeks ago. Changed cabin air filter myself. Will be attempting to change air filter myself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris_x11 View Post
- Manual or automatic?
- Driving-style (ie. aggressive, enthusiast, average, conservative, Mr. Sweetchuck)?
- location (ie. elevation/altitude, mountains/hills)?
- % of city:highway miles?
- Service-history (ie. plugs, oil-changes, air-filter, injectors/fuel-system)?
- Mods' (ie. larger/heavier after-market rims, exhaust, intake, etc')?
- Fuel used (ie. % ethanol-based, etc')?
- Overall performance (ie. bogging, sluggish, underwhelming, throttle response, etc')?

I'd consider checking the tire air-pressures, resetting the ECU (disconnect/reconnect the battery), check all the filters/plugs, etc'. Also consider a D.I.Y. fuel-system cleaning (possible the injectors are clogged or not operating optimally, it happens), replace the inexpensive fuel-filter, etc'. Just thinkin' out-loud. . .

Thanks for the long list!

It is automatic, average driver, live in urban city (Ottawa, Canada), about 70% city/30%hwy, recently did oil change, transmission flush, wheels are stock alloy 16", fuel used is 89 octane (not sure if ethanol based)

Asked the dealership about changing o2 sensor or spark plugs (sometimes i hear these can be a cause), they said unless the "check engine" light is on for the former, or if more than 100k miles for the latter, than no need.

I made sure tire-pressures are 5psi higher all around. Don't know about resetting ECU, not sure about the fuel-system injector cleaning / filter stuff.
zymcpcp is offline
post #5 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 11:58 AM
3rd Gear

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heeey im from Ottawa.
!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mktng is offline
post #6 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Moderator

Fredsvt's Avatar

Join Date: May 2004
location: Morganville, NJ
Posts: 4,373
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
The type of driving you do is why you're only seeing such dismal mileage.

The I4 has to work harder to move the car in repeated stop go driving, how far is your daily drive to work? Less than 10 miles each way, expect no better.

My '04 V6 6 speed, when I visit Winnipeg, the SLOWEST, most idiotic amount of 3, 4 and more way stops, driving I've ever encountered, I can only manage 24. That is piggish for my car.

That wheel bearing would just about have to have the tire dragging to make the car eat fuel. At 53k, there should be no issues with spark plugs, or air/fuel sensors. The valves should still have the same clearances they did when it was built, I've very rarely seen a K24 have way out of adjustment valves.

Gregster on here had a similar issue with his '05, it was actually worse on fuel that yours. Honda deemed it normal. Although when I looked at it, cam to crank timing was off (retarded) by one tooth. Honda said that it wasn't and it ended there.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Fredsvt is offline
post #7 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 05:21 PM
5th Gear

Aarmin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
location: Indiana
Posts: 562
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recorded 17mpg a couple weeks ago on my '05 I4 EXL; but then again, I was driving to work that week (less than 2 miles) even though before I usually walk. I also was driving out and about more than usual; the city traffic around my area gets pretty congested.

I went ahead and seafoamed, changed my spark plugs, air filter, cleaned my MAF sensor, and a oil change. I went ahead an drove a mixed freeway/city driving and recorded 26mpg.

Maybe my car needed the tune up, but I have a feeling it may have been the short distance driving along with bad WaWa gas

My Accord is getting old, with 105,*** miles.
Aarmin is offline
post #8 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
The type of driving you do is why you're only seeing such dismal mileage.

The I4 has to work harder to move the car in repeated stop go driving, how far is your daily drive to work? Less than 10 miles each way, expect no better.

My '04 V6 6 speed, when I visit Winnipeg, the SLOWEST, most idiotic amount of 3, 4 and more way stops, driving I've ever encountered, I can only manage 24. That is piggish for my car.

That wheel bearing would just about have to have the tire dragging to make the car eat fuel. At 53k, there should be no issues with spark plugs, or air/fuel sensors. The valves should still have the same clearances they did when it was built, I've very rarely seen a K24 have way out of adjustment valves.

Gregster on here had a similar issue with his '05, it was actually worse on fuel that yours. Honda deemed it normal. Although when I looked at it, cam to crank timing was off (retarded) by one tooth. Honda said that it wasn't and it ended there.
My daily commute is less than 10 miles each way.
I have yet to drive solid highway. But will be testing this in a couple weeks when I head for a short trip.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarmin View Post
I recorded 17mpg a couple weeks ago on my '05 I4 EXL; but then again, I was driving to work that week (less than 2 miles) even though before I usually walk. I also was driving out and about more than usual; the city traffic around my area gets pretty congested.

I went ahead and seafoamed, changed my spark plugs, air filter, cleaned my MAF sensor, and a oil change. I went ahead an drove a mixed freeway/city driving and recorded 26mpg.

Maybe my car needed the tune up, but I have a feeling it may have been the short distance driving along with bad WaWa gas

My Accord is getting old, with 105,*** miles.

Interesting. Where is the MAF sensor (is it that square/silver sensor between the tube and air filter box?) And how would you go about cleaning this?
zymcpcp is offline
post #9 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 05:59 PM
5th Gear

Aarmin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
location: Indiana
Posts: 562
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zymcpcp View Post
Interesting. Where is the MAF sensor (is it that square/silver sensor between the tube and air filter box?) And how would you go about cleaning this?
Correct, its attached right next to the filter box. Just unscrew it, detach it, and take it out; please be careful, its quite sensitive.

I used MAF sensor cleaner; you should be able to find it at the local auto parts store. I suppose a electronic cleaner will also work.

I once did this to my old Cavalier, and the slightly harsh idling actually went away! Usually the shops try to get you to pay the $100+ to replace it.
Aarmin is offline
post #10 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

Dave in WI's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
location: 40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality (Madison, WI
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW my 05 4 cylinder auto gets pretty bad mileage in the city. 22 is about normal for all city, stop & go, short trip driving. My lowest ever was 19 mpg. That was in the cold, cold winter, 100% city driving, and letting it warm up in the driveway every morning for 10 minutes or so.

Mine will still pull 35 mpg on the highway, for whatever reason its really bad in the city.

Dave in WI
2005 Accord 4AT
2006 Toyota Sienna
2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
1975 Honda XL100
1988 Yamaha DT50
Dave in WI is offline
post #11 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 06:26 PM
5th Gear

Aarmin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
location: Indiana
Posts: 562
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
It sucks. Its the whole reason I choose a 4-cylinder; admitting, a pretty good one.

*wonders what the 6-cylinder gets*
Aarmin is offline
post #12 of 35 Old 04-18-2009, 09:17 PM
4th Gear

03Accord EX-L's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
location: Chicago Land Area
Posts: 336
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the V6 and if I do a lot of in town driving Ill get 22mpg or so. Kind of sucks because most people buy the I4 thinking their going to get better gas mileage which is true if your doing highway but because the Accord is extremely torque stingy the I4 suffers with even less torque which could cause horrible city mpg

Looking to make a nice car even nicer....

2003 Accord EX-L AV6
03Accord EX-L is offline
post #13 of 35 Old 04-19-2009, 09:22 AM
3rd Gear

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iuno guys
but city/hwy i get amazing mileage.

change ur air filter. it'll do wonders... :P you never know it could be so clogged up..


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mktng is offline
post #14 of 35 Old 04-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Jimmy Rustler

GolftangoV2's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
location: CT
Posts: 1,804
Thanks: 17
Thanked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zymcpcp View Post
Interesting. Where is the MAF sensor (is it that square/silver sensor between the tube and air filter box?) And how would you go about cleaning this?
Try this:

Seafoam, clean MAF and new fluids

Also, I see you mentioned a transmission fluid "flush"? That is a big no-no. Only drop and replace your fluid with Honda Z1, never flush.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GolftangoV2 is offline
post #15 of 35 Old 04-19-2009, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
iuno guys
but city/hwy i get amazing mileage.

change ur air filter. it'll do wonders... :P you never know it could be so clogged up..
I'll be doing that very soon myself. Was going to also get some air flow sensor cleaner before doing the whole thing. I'll report back after a fuel fill-up interval and see if it makes much of a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
Try this:

Seafoam, clean MAF and new fluids

Also, I see you mentioned a transmission fluid "flush"? That is a big no-no. Only drop and replace your fluid with Honda Z1, never flush.
Thanks for the link, good tutorial, i will be following this one.

As for the "flush", sorry didn't mean to say that, bad terminology. Took it to the dealer couple weeks ago to do this, it was more of a transmission "drain and fill".

zymcpcp is offline
Advertisement

Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to


Related pages


1997 honda passport problemsulev iiled vs hid fog lightssway bar brokenborla 350z exhaust2006 honda ridgeline seat coversmassachusetts tint lawshonda accord 2005 aux portbest teflon coating for carsnissin caliperrobn sharmahonda pilot a1 service codehonda accord map sensormichelin primacy mxv4 reviewshonda accord dieselaccord forums 7th genwagner brite litehonda civic 2007 wipershonda b123 service cost2002 honda accord lx mpg2000 ford ranger door lock actuator99 civic catalytic convertersymptom of bad mass air flow sensorhonda crz forumhow much does it cost to replace a car headlinercatalytic converter cleaner autozoneford f150 radio not workinglubegard.comoem glass replacementhonda odyssey catalytic converter replacementduplicolor graphite2003 honda civic batteryavs window vent visoridle control valve costcommision for car salesmanhonda civic 2005 floor matshonda accord alternator replacementhfp rims 19magnaflow street series mufflerkey wont turn ignitionhonda crv starting issueshow much to install a remote starterfiesta st headlight bulbpioneer xm tunerbmw 328i bolt patternacura tl brabattery voltage fluctuation2003 acura tl lip kithyundai santa fe alternator problemsh8 h11 differenceidatalink maestro rrwhat is the difference between lx and ex honda accordhonda s2000 clutch replacementstoptech cryo sportstop drilled rotorviper 5706c5 corvette brahow much does it cost for a sunroof2003 accord recallcheck engine light 2001 honda accordarcan xl35r floor jackhonda accord drl2009 honda crv air conditioner problemsmazdaspeed3 vs civic siwalmart tire mountinghonda civic radio unlock codehonda accord 2002 v6waze apkwalmart tire installation cost98 civic headlight bulbrsx alternatordls component speakerstires cupping2005 honda civic fuse diagramhonda atf dw1 transmission fluidradiator overflow tank boilingijmdtoyhow much should a brake job cost