Ordering factory paint by the Pint? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-15-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Question Ordering factory paint by the Pint?

Is it possible to order honda factory paint by the pint or even quart? I know you can easily get those little touch ups but I'm looking to actually paint a couple of items. If it IS possible, is there anywhere online to order or would I have to go to dealer or body shop? Thanks.

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-16-2009, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

Any body shop supplier should be able to mix you either a pint or a quart with the paint code from your car. The paint will be a two stage: base coat clear coat type paint like Dupont or PPG. These suppliers usually have shake a can clear coat available also rather than buying a gallon of clear, reducer, and activator. In the central Ohio area there are several Dupont and PPG dealers where I live. I am sure there are quite a few in most areas of Kentucky also, check the local yellow pages under body shop suppliers or automoblie body shop supplies.

post #3 of 9 Old 04-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

eemichael83... might want to get a pro' body-shop/paint-vendor to properly blend the paint for you in-person, based on their expertise/experience & equipment to make your paint so it'll properly match the surrounding parts/areas. In ~4yrs, paint-fade/dulling/changes do occur on original paint (obviously more-or-less depending on overall usage/exposure). Just ordering paint from the color-code might not match 100%, hence why blending in-person is generally preferable.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2009, 06:43 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemichael83 View Post
Is it possible to order honda factory paint by the pint or even quart? I know you can easily get those little touch ups but I'm looking to actually paint a couple of items. If it IS possible, is there anywhere online to order or would I have to go to dealer or body shop? Thanks.
Depends on what your trying to paint but you can actually get the paint in a spray can

Looking to make a nice car even nicer....

2003 Accord EX-L AV6
post #5 of 9 Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Thanks for the response guys... any idea on what a pint or a quart might cost? I was going to possibly use this for a few things... the brake calipers, the splash guards, and also I might do a retro and paint the area of the headlight where most people would paint black, the deep green pearl that matches my car instead.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Arrow

Quote:
Thanks for the response guys... any idea on what a pint or a quart might cost? I was going to possibly use this for a few things... the brake calipers, the splash guards, and also I might do a retro and paint the area of the headlight where most people would paint black, the deep green pearl that matches my car instead.
In that case, you can just order from online a color-code matched spray-can (FWIRC, ~$25 +$10 s/h for 12oz can). For OEM-accessory splash-guards (only paint the exterior) & OEM headlight shrouds/bezels, (1) 12oz spray-can would be sufficient (I did my splash-guards & have barely used 1/3 the can... remember, 2-3 very light coats!). Don't forget about SEM-additive adhesion promoter primer for plastic-parts ($5-$6), and a clear-coat ($5-$6) for durability/longevity. . .

You don't need a pint/quart unless you have your own high-pressure paint-spray equipment (air-compressor, spray-gun, nozzles, etc'). Besides, (1) pint is 16oz of actual paint & it'd cost ~$75+ & (1) quart is 32oz of actual paint & it's cost ~$125+. Those are quantities used to paint entire body panels & then some. . .

Also, you can't use body-paint on brake-calipers. You need high-temp' engine paint or caliper paint or bbq-grill paint.

There are numerous online OEM paint vendors, one that I've used is . Use the search as there are a handful other ones people have used. If you want to save ~$10+ in s/h, just get it in-person from a paint-supply shop. . .

Reference: Deep Green Pearl Metallic Clearcoat (G-516P)
post #7 of 9 Old 04-19-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris_x11 View Post
In that case, you can just order from online a color-code matched spray-can (FWIRC, ~$25 +$10 s/h for 12oz can). For OEM-accessory splash-guards (only paint the exterior) & OEM headlight shrouds/bezels, (1) 12oz spray-can would be sufficient (I did my splash-guards & have barely used 1/3 the can... remember, 2-3 very light coats!). Don't forget about SEM-additive adhesion promoter primer for plastic-parts ($5-$6), and a clear-coat ($5-$6) for durability/longevity. . .

You don't need a pint/quart unless you have your own high-pressure paint-spray equipment (air-compressor, spray-gun, nozzles, etc'). Besides, (1) pint is 16oz of actual paint & it'd cost ~$75+ & (1) quart is 32oz of actual paint & it's cost ~$125+. Those are quantities used to paint entire body panels & then some. . .

Also, you can't use body-paint on brake-calipers. You need high-temp' engine paint or caliper paint or bbq-grill paint.

There are numerous online OEM paint vendors, one that I've used is . Use the search as there are a handful other ones people have used. If you want to save ~$10+ in s/h, just get it in-person from a paint-supply shop. . .

Reference: Deep Green Pearl Metallic Clearcoat (G-516P)
Thanks for the help and suggestions... I have come across and was wondering if you or anyone has had any eperiences with them? The reason why I was looking at them is because in their FAQ it says their paint has a relatively high temperature tolerance and can be used on brake calipers. Its about $18 for the 2oz bottle, I figured that would be plenty for painting the calipers and I'd still have a little left over for a couple of scratches and chips in the body. I think I might pass on the splash guards though mainly because their are already a few black plastic pieces that span the length of the car anyway along with a couple of other black accents and with the darker paint color I already have, the splash guards don't really stand out anyway.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the help and suggestions... I have come across and was wondering if you or anyone has had any eperiences with them?
That's a very good site in terms of information provided, while I've no direct exprience, I would feel comfortable ordering from them based on the knowledge they demonstrated throughout the website.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Arrow

Quote:
I have come across and was wondering if you or anyone has had any eperiences with them? The reason why I was looking at them is because in their FAQ it says their paint has a relatively high temperature tolerance and can be used on brake calipers. Its about $18 for the 2oz bottle, I figured that would be plenty for painting the calipers and I'd still have a little left over for a couple of scratches and chips in the body...
Quite interesting they make such a statement! Obviously they know more of their formulation than I do. Worth a shot if you want precise color-match for the calipers, instead of a near-match using over-the-counter high temp' engine/caliper paint!

Generally, it's not the paint that fails on high-temp' applications (ie. peel/flake off). It's the hue-inducing particles (ie. mica, pearl/'metal' flecks, etc') that change physically over-time due to the heat/conditions. This then causes overall discoloration/degradation of the finish (look muddy/cloudy/hazy or brown). Just as short-instances of high-demand braking (ie. track/road-course) can cause caliper finishes to change, regular braking over time can do as well (due to the paint-components to physically/chemically change). High-temp' paints have ceramic or similar components, which aren't present in conventional acrylic/enamel paints meant for appearance. Short-term temperature tolerance is one, durability is another!

As paint/refinishing brake-calipers/brackets is such a messy & time consuming D.I.Y. project (though simple), I always tell everyone to do it right the first-time (in terms of cleaning/surface-prep'/correct-paint/etc').

Also, I believe ~2oz' will be well on the short-end in terms of quantity needed for the application. After-market caliper-paint kits are at least ~4oz', and usually very little (if any) is left-over following proper application (at least 2 liberal coats for OEM/stock 4-brake calipers/brackets).

Peruse online & look for G2 brake-caliper paint kits (also VHT & drum/brake paints), as well as other after-market paint kits. Compare their green color offerings. Even if it's not an ideal match, you can blend it by adding gray/white high-temp' paint (titrate in small quantities) to lighten or dark-green/blue to darken (such cans are ~5'ish). Also, adding a high-quality/durable clear-coat lightens/accentuates the finish. Just food-for-thought. . .

G'luck!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.