Use Honda Dealer to replace AC Clutch/Coil? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-05-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Desert Mist Metallic

Use Honda Dealer to replace AC Clutch/Coil?

My car has the bad case of the ten year itch.

I have a feeling my compressor clutch is/has gone bad on me. I check the pulley to pressure plate clearance and got 0.81 mm (spec is 0.35 to 0.60)

The ac works and blows cold for the first 5 minutes and then the clutch disengages. When it tries to engage again it really boggs down the engine. After that I get nothing and turn it off. It will work again after the engine cools down for a while. For grins I did replace the relay under the hood but didn't help.

I plan to take it somewhere and have the system checked but if in fact its just the clutch thats bad and not the compressor whats the consensus on taking it to the dealer for repairs instead of an independent shop? and will the dealer even change just the clutch/coil or will they insist on replacing the whole compressor.

The reason I'm asking is because the dealer usually is more expensive.

Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-05-2015, 03:17 PM
BRWNFLSH now

The local dealership charged me $650 to change the clutch and stator (coil). Not long after that I found out I could have changed them myself, without disconnecting the refrigerant lines. The person told me he unbolted the compressor from the mount, and moved the compressor to make room, and replaced the clutch and stator, without disconnecting the lines. The parts are not cheap, even from online dealerships, but well under $650. My A/C is still working fine, and it's probably been at least 6 years ago now. Good luck, if you decide to try it.

Some people say, simply removing the clutch, and taking out shims until you get the correct clearance works, without spending a dime.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
The Following User Says Thank You to BLCKFLSH For This Useful Post:
CTR2112 (04-06-2015)
post #3 of 20 Old 04-05-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Desert Mist Metallic

So the Honda dealer was ok with just changing the clutch and coil huh, did you have to fight them to do it or was that their recommendation? I have 2 dealers around me, one I don't trust and won't give them work and the other is a 50 minute drive.

Can I ask why you went with the dealer instead of another shop?

2005 Accord EX-L V6 Auto Sedan 114,000 miles

post #4 of 20 Old 04-05-2015, 03:46 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I didn't really know what was wrong with it. I brought it to the dealership to get it diagnosed, then they said the clutch and coil needed to be replaced. Not knowing I could replace the parts, without disconnecting the lines and having to recharge the system, I let them do it. This is the only time my car has been to any shop, and it will be the last if I can avoid it. I do all my own maintenance and repairs, if I can.

03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
post #5 of 20 Old 04-05-2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Desert Mist Metallic

I guess I'll have to call around and find somebody to check it out and verify what the problem is first. Its good to know they (Honda) will repair just the clutch and not force you to buy the whole setup.

post #6 of 20 Old 04-05-2015, 04:29 PM
BRWNFLSH now

The local dealership didn't even mention replacing the compressor. There is no need to do that, and I probably would have gone somewhere else if they had. One of my best friends father used to own a shop, and it was great knowing he would not screw me over. He is retired now, so I have no idea which shop I could trust in my area. Like I said, my cars don't see any shop, if I can possibly do the job myself.

post #7 of 20 Old 04-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Out of Control

The fact that it engages and bogs the engine down would bother me. That sounds like a bad compressor or an overcharged system to me. You can get a compressor and clutch online for less then the Honda parts to replace the clutch.

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
The Following User Says Thank You to greg1c For This Useful Post:
CTR2112 (04-06-2015)
post #8 of 20 Old 04-05-2015, 06:56 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Yes, that is different from my situation. My engine would not bog when the compressor kicked in. The compressor would just run for a little while, then stop.

post #9 of 20 Old 04-05-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Desert Mist Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1c View Post
The fact that it engages and bogs the engine down would bother me. That sounds like a bad compressor or an overcharged system to me. You can get a compressor and clutch online for less then the Honda parts to replace the clutch.
The system has never been touched so overcharged should be ruled out I think or would a blockage cause an overcharge situation.

To clarify when I say bogged down there is a change in the engine rpm's briefly. Before it would always come back on but today was different in that it wouldn't come back on while out driving I had to wait till we got home, unpack the groceries and then tried it again and it worked.

Does it mean anything that it runs quiet, never hear any groans, squeaks etc...

post #10 of 20 Old 04-06-2015, 01:07 PM
Out of Control

The question is, if the coil on the compressor has power and does not engage then it is positivity a bad clutch. If there is no power to the clutch that is a different issue.

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
post #11 of 20 Old 04-06-2015, 01:27 PM
Reflections Auto Detail

One thing to consider is the fact that the compressor (and receiver drier, condenser, etc.) are just as old as the clutch assy. If the compressor isn't failing at this moment, it probably will soon if it's the original.

I went through this last year and after weighing all the options, I ended up buying the AC compressor kit from Rock Auto and doing the work myself. I ended up saving well over $1000! The kit costs $190.00 and consists of:
Brand new Nippondenso compressor
Receiver/drier/accumulator
Expansion valve
O-ring kit

Even if you aren't able to do the work yourself, you could buy this kit and have the work done by a local mechanic you trust and still save a helluva lot of money. Just food for thought..

2003 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 3.0L V6 A/T
220,200 miles on original transmission!
Satin Silver
Full Nose Mask & Bra
SuperBrite Interior LED Kit
Eagle Alloys Chrome 192's
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 245/45/17 Tires

"You may want to invest in a torque wrench, since your torque by feel only consists of gorilla mode." - Drew03Accord

Eat, Sleep, Detail, Repeat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coach Steve For This Useful Post:
CTR2112 (04-06-2015)
post #12 of 20 Old 04-06-2015, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Desert Mist Metallic

I had the system checked over today and the coil is definitely shot. After debating my options and taking into consideration the age of the system (as Coach was saying) I agreed to have them install a new Denso compressor. They quoted me just under $700 installed.

The car is the wife's daily driver that gets her to and from work everyday and with the temps here in Arizona already over 90 degrees I value my life and sanity too much to force the wife to drive around hot and angry while I try to save money, lol.

post #13 of 20 Old 04-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
The local dealership charged me $650 to change the clutch and stator (coil).
That was a rip. You can buy an OEM Denso compressor online for roughly $220.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-06-2015, 09:26 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post
That was a rip. You can buy an OEM Denso compressor online for roughly $220.
Oh, I know it was a rip, but I didn't need a compressor. If I would have waited a few more days I would have figured out how to change the clutch and coil myself, without having to evacuate and recharge the system. But, when the wife wants A/C, she gets it, because a happy wife is a happy life. The wife drives the truck now, since it's an automatic, so I have more time to diagnose any problems I have with the car. When I had the manual truck, she wasn't going to drive it, A/C or not.

post #15 of 20 Old 04-07-2015, 01:14 AM
Reflections Auto Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR2112 View Post

The car is the wife's daily driver that gets her to and from work everyday and with the temps here in Arizona already over 90 degrees I value my life and sanity too much to force the wife to drive around hot and angry while I try to save money, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
But, when the wife wants A/C, she gets it, because a happy wife is a happy life. The wife drives the truck now, since it's an automatic, so I have more time to diagnose any problems I have with the car. When I had the manual truck, she wasn't going to drive it, A/C or not.
Add me to this group whose Accord is the wife's DD. I consider myself lucky that my wife was somewhat patient in the days waiting for the parts to arrive. Rock Auto has the best price on parts most of the time but when it comes to shipping, they're most def not the quickest. IIRC she was without AC for 5 days when the compressor went south last June. And, aside from 2 beatings (one of which left me with a concussion), the daily screaming lectures which were more degrading than the verbal beat-downs I endured while she was in labor with my first daughter, and the absence of any kind of spousal attention for the next several weeks, she really was a trooper!

RickBlaine likes this.

2003 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 3.0L V6 A/T
220,200 miles on original transmission!
Satin Silver
Full Nose Mask & Bra
SuperBrite Interior LED Kit
Eagle Alloys Chrome 192's
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 245/45/17 Tires

"You may want to invest in a torque wrench, since your torque by feel only consists of gorilla mode." - Drew03Accord

Eat, Sleep, Detail, Repeat.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.