SRS Light Intermittently Comes On - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-27-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

SRS Light Intermittently Comes On

Hi All,

I have a 2003 Accord EX Sedan with an intermittent SRS light. I can't seem to reliably reproduce the issue. The light will even come on with two adults in the front seats, and other times it will not.
In case you're wondering, I have nothing sitting in my seats that would otherwise make the system believe a small child was the passenger.

I've searched the forum with several different search terms, but to no avail. Can anyone offer troubleshooting advice?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-28-2009, 07:25 AM
KENYA DIG IT?!

Send a message via AIM to Gen7coupe Send a message via Skype™ to Gen7coupe
see if you can reset the SRS light somehow...i know when the light came on in the girls car, i just reset it and then checked all the connectors underneath both seats to make sure they were tight and it was good.....other wise, try to pull the srs light fault code and look that up. if it has anything to do with the seat belts system, honda should replace it for free....good luck

2003 Honda Accord EX-L
195,xxx miles (as of Nov 2012)
USAF

Old Cars

2001 MituSHITbe Galant
2000 Honda Civic Si
1995 Honda Prelude
1989 Nissan Sentra
post #3 of 10 Old 03-28-2009, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

You may have a wheel sensor going out. The yaw sensor rarely fails. Have you taken it to the dealer to have them recalibrate the system or see if you are throwing any codes?

post #4 of 10 Old 03-28-2009, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. Just wanted to see if I could confirm the exact cause first, in case it's something I can resolve myself.

You mentioned a wheel sensor going out. Would that cause the ABS light to illuminate and not the SRS light?
post #5 of 10 Old 03-28-2009, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquared22 View Post
I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. Just wanted to see if I could confirm the exact cause first, in case it's something I can resolve myself.

You mentioned a wheel sensor going out. Would that cause the ABS light to illuminate and not the SRS light?
No, the most common cause of the SRS light going on is either the wheel sensor or the yaw sensor. If it is neither of the two, it may be the SRS module itself. Hope it is a wheel sensor...
post #6 of 10 Old 03-29-2009, 08:24 AM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Even easier, it is most likely your driver side seat belt buckle. Honda will replace it free of charge, they warrant the seat belt system for the life of the vehicle. The buckle is wired into the SRS system. Take it to the dealer and they will diagnose the airbag system. I have an '03 EX coupe and my light started coming on like you described and they replaced the seat belt buckle. It wears over time due to use.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 08:44 AM
My First Post

SRS light fix

I had the same issue with my Honda Accord 2009. I fixed it by doing the following.

1. Get some alcohol cleaner, higher the percentage better for cleaning electronics.
2. Use either spray kind, can get at radio shack, or get WD electronic spray can from car parts store or just get some qtips.

I pushed the driver side car seat far back as possible to get some room.
Then I looked under and noticed some wire harnesses,two white and one yellow. I removed the white connector tab by pressing on the release and wiped the inside of the connector with qtip soaked in alcohol cleaner. Did the same with other white connector.

I did not remove the yellow connector since I couldn't figure out how to disconnect.

After reconnecting, I started the car and found that the SRS light stays off. Not sure if this is a permanent fix or temporary.

Last time I took it to the dealer in town, they charged me $120 dollars and said that they couldn't figure out what was wrong but they just cleaned the contacts. I presume this is what they did.

Good luck with the fix.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 10:07 AM
RoopsPhoto.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
Even easier, it is most likely your driver side seat belt buckle. Honda will replace it free of charge, they warrant the seat belt system for the life of the vehicle. The buckle is wired into the SRS system. Take it to the dealer and they will diagnose the airbag system. I have an '03 EX coupe and my light started coming on like you described and they replaced the seat belt buckle. It wears over time due to use.
Is this true? I am pretty sure mine is with the driver side seat belt sensor. The seat belt light does not come on when the seat belt is not buckled. So, when the airbag system checks the seatbelt, thinking that it is plugged in (since the system thinks its connected), then the airbag light comes on.

I tried cleaning it with alcohol and it did not fix the problem. If I buckle before starting the car, the light will not come on. If the airbag light is on, I turn off the car for 2 seconds and restart the car. This is my method to fix the light. It is a bit annoying though. If Honda will fix it, then that would be awesome.

Can anyone confirm if Honda will fix it?

03 Accord EX-L Navi 5spd 95k miles| 05 CRV 5spd Manual | 01 Porsche 911

Retired: 94 5spd Accord -300k RIP :( -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
01 Porsche Boxster | 00 BMW 528i | 03 Suzuki GSX-R1000 | 04 Honda Aquatrax Jet Ski

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #9 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 11:48 AM
06' 6-6 Sedan

Holy old post....You can read the codes yourself with a paper clip. Youtube has quite a few how-to's involving SRS codes in Hondas. If you look around you'll also see the Accord has differing codes from most Honda's.
I had an issue with the driver side occupant position sensor wiring. SRS light would come on if I moved around in my seat or got out of it with the car running. It was a recall in 03-05 I believe, but not covered for 06-07. Removed the driver's seat, replaced the 8$ shorted wire, retorqued the bolts holding the seat down, problem solved. The seatbelt latch is probably the most common issue regarding the SRS light, mine might be the second most common.
If the seat belt light is acting funny, I'm sure that is your issue. Try pulling the codes and the dealer should replace it free.

2012 EX-L V6 6MT Coupe Crystal Black Pearl / Black
2006 EX V6 6MT Sedan Carbon Bronze Pearl / Ivory (sold)
2005 EX I-4 5AT Sedan Redondo Red Pearl / Black
1996 Harley-Davidson FXD
post #10 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 02:57 PM
BRWNFLSH now

The seatbelts are lifetime warranty, for the 03 model, in the USA. If you have another year, or live somewhere else, check the SRS warranty booklet that came with your car or the owner's manual.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 14,000 miles so far
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.