Timing chain - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 03-16-2009, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
MKV
1st Gear

Timing chain

Hi all,

never posted here before, since i don't drive a Honda.

But my mom has an 06 accord, 114K miles, and the other day her timing chain broke on the freeway going around 70mph..
Have any of you ever heard about this? I thought the whole point of putting a chain there was so it lasts for life, am I wrong?
What should we do? contact Honda about this? any chance they would cover the damage?

Thanks a lot

P.S. Its an I4, if that makes any difference..

Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-16-2009, 11:02 PM
4th Gear

They might tell you that your suppose to change it at 105k miles. IINM I think they are timing belts, at least thats what Ive heard them called. They could be different between the I4 and the V6

Looking to make a nice car even nicer....

2003 Accord EX-L AV6
post #3 of 24 Old 03-17-2009, 02:40 AM
KENYA DIG IT?!

Send a message via AIM to Gen7coupe Send a message via Skype™ to Gen7coupe
the I4 has a timing chain and the V6 has a timing belt. since your mom's car is a I4, it has a timing chain. i think the manual says to change it out at 150k for a timing chain but i'm not sure.....it's worth calling the honda dealership to see what they can do for you though since it's an 06! if they don't fix it, then it's prolly gonna cost a good $1100 to fix it becuz now everything is out of timing and you might have some bent values, some grooves on your piston head from your values and so on......i had this happen to me on my last car. hope all is good though for you and your mom! lets us know if you need any more info!

2003 Honda Accord EX-L
195,xxx miles (as of Nov 2012)
USAF

Old Cars

2001 MituSHITbe Galant
2000 Honda Civic Si
1995 Honda Prelude
1989 Nissan Sentra

post #4 of 24 Old 03-17-2009, 02:42 AM
KENYA DIG IT?!

Send a message via AIM to Gen7coupe Send a message via Skype™ to Gen7coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKV View Post
I thought the whole point of putting a chain there was so it lasts for life, am I wrong?
oh yeah, forgot to answer this question.....no the timing chains aren't suppose to last for life....just A LOT longer than the timing belts. you still need to change it out, just not at 100k like the timing belts do. good luck again!

2003 Honda Accord EX-L
195,xxx miles (as of Nov 2012)
USAF

Old Cars

2001 MituSHITbe Galant
2000 Honda Civic Si
1995 Honda Prelude
1989 Nissan Sentra
post #5 of 24 Old 03-17-2009, 05:19 AM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
Honda's Timing Chain is DESIGNED to last the LIFE of the engine.

Time to send it to a dealers service department so that you car see if Honda will goodwill and repair/replace your engine for free. Contact 1-800-999-1009 with your VIN number in hand to talk to Honda about this issue.

Honda only specifies changing timing BELTS. Chains have no change interval and are self-adjusting as the car ages. Something has gone wrong.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-17-2009, 05:35 AM

I bet they are going to pull 114K miles in 3 years crap. Unless of course your mom has a good relationship with the dealer. Usually if the car gets serviced there and they have records they are more willing to help.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #7 of 24 Old 03-17-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
MKV
1st Gear

Thanks a lot for your help guys

So we contacted Honda Customer Assistance, they weren't very helpful, told us to bring the car to a dealer and get it diagnosed.

Then we called the dealer, they sounded very lost, and said there is no chance they would cover it because the car isn't under warranty anymore. they did say, however that the chain is supposed to last as long as the car lives, and they never heard this happen before. They told us, if the engine isn't damaged, chain replacement would cost around $950. If it is damaged, then replacing the engine with a used one with about 60K miles would be around $3500. New one - $6000.

Do you guys think these prices are reasonable? If the engine is damaged, would it be worth replacing it, keeping in mind that the rest of the car has 114K miles on it?

My dad use to have a 2000 accord, he didn't have a single problem on it, until the clutch died at 300K. And that's when he picked up the 06. Its amazing how much they last.

Thanks,
Kris
post #8 of 24 Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
Kris,

Get the car to Honda. You will have to pay for their official diagnosis. It will probably be around $100.00.

Once you have a diagnosis, ask your service advisor to help you in contacting Honda for financial assistance. Have all proof of diligent maintenance on hand. Also, try to make sure the car looks well kept, it will make a difference!

If they will not help you contact Honda, (find out beforehand), go to another dealer who will. Some are very good about trying to get Honda to help customers who have issues which should not have happened (regardless of mileage) if they took good care of their car. Once you have an official diagnosis from Honda, American Honda will be much more willing to help you. They probably had little help for you today because they needed the diagnosis from a dealer.

So find the dealer who is willing to assist you in "goodwill" repairs from HONDA (not the dealership - don't confuse this. The dealer will not pay, but HONDA might).

A regional manager will probably have to come out to see the car as well. Honda will send someone to the dealership if they decide to help; hopefully they will.

Keep Us Updated
post #9 of 24 Old 03-17-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
MKV
1st Gear

well the problem is that my parents HATE dealerships.. We never took the car to the dealer for service, everything was done by a close friend of ours, who owns a shop. He was also taking care of the old car. But there is no proof of service..

But thanks a lot for your advice, we are going to take the car for diagnosis today, i'll give you an update hopefully tomorrow.

thanks again!!

kris
post #10 of 24 Old 03-17-2009, 02:11 PM

Worse case scenario, if you have to pay for engine replacement have the same guy who does all the work get a used one for way less than what Honda is charging. I see those go for around $1000 with low miles.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #11 of 24 Old 03-17-2009, 04:53 PM
6th Gear

I would argue there is no service recommendation for servicing the chain so how would you know?

If that does not work, asking for half (you pay for labor and they pay for parts) might get you further than demanding full coverage. For whatever reason, most people look at cars with higher than average mileage different than ones with lower mileage like they are abused or something.

Let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKV View Post
well the problem is that my parents HATE dealerships.. We never took the car to the dealer for service, everything was done by a close friend of ours, who owns a shop. He was also taking care of the old car. But there is no proof of service..

But thanks a lot for your advice, we are going to take the car for diagnosis today, i'll give you an update hopefully tomorrow.

thanks again!!

kris

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 265k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP
post #12 of 24 Old 03-17-2009, 04:53 PM

What oil was this "friend" using in this car at what change interval?

I've heard of and seen K's break and jump chains, always due to guide wear when using either the wrong viscosity and/or low quality engine oil.

The chain may have broken from an outside influence as well, are one or both of the cams seized in the head?

At bare minimum, it's going to have to be leakdown tested. But more than likely at least the head is trash, if not the pistons at those engine speeds.

At 110k which it passed, had it had a full service done, i.e. plugs (proper ones), coolant and valve adjustment, someone may have seen an issue with either the valvetrain or chain guides that could have prevented what happened.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #13 of 24 Old 03-23-2009, 10:54 PM
2nd Gear

if you need to replace the motor just order it online. I know on the k series forums I see em going for $1000 shipped. Thats the norm. the dealer just wants to make a killing. buy it and have it delivered there if you have em do the labor and its the motor that needs replacing.
post #14 of 24 Old 03-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Out of Control

drop a tsx motor in there and hondata it. If it for your parents then just get one on ebay or k20a. I see k24a4 going for 600 on ebay.
post #15 of 24 Old 03-24-2009, 02:07 PM
5th Gear

Talking

It still had the original oil in it. Do you think that might have had something to do with it? HAHAHAHHAHAA!

Durka Durka
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.