55w hid vs. 35w - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-15-2009, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Oh if only I had money...

Send a message via AIM to pozerpholife
55w hid vs. 35w

One of my old ballasts just failed me and so I'm in the market for a new set. At the time I bought mine I only knew of the 35 watt ones, now I've seen that there are 55 watt. From a few things I've read it sounds like the 55 watt ones make the bulbs appear a little differently than I'm used to. I read something that said that 8k with a 55w would like like a 6k in a 35w(what my current set up is). I've also seen a quote that says the 55w ones pump out 40% more light than the 35w. I was just curious if anyone could tell me if it's worth upgrading now to the 55w if they pump out more light, or if I should just stick with the 35w ones. Also if anyone knew anything about the differences in the "color" of the bulbs between the 35w and the 55w that would be greatly appreciated. I like the 6k look but am a little scared to by 8k's because I definitely don't want that over the top blue look.

Thanks in advance,
Poz

'03 Accord 4dr I4 Taffeta White
Tinted windows, splash guards, gold accents, fogs
LED dome, doors, map light, and license plate
6k lows and fogs, Nokya Hyper Yellow highs
Custom flat black front grill
Cold Cathodes in the trunk
Pioneer F90BT bypassed
EX door switches
K&N cold air intake
Valentine 1 radar

To Come:
Near:Blacked out headlight housings
Far:Rims and a drop
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-15-2009, 01:56 PM
5th Gear

Stick with the 35watt variant. The amount of light 35w HIDs produce is bordering on excessiveness with reflectors designed for halogens. Not only will you truly start blinding people with 55w HIDs but you'll also see some nasty reflector patterns. Furthermore, in inclement weather it may even be blinding to you!

2008 Accord EX-L i4 AT Polished Metal Metallic
19" HFPs (245/40R19); trunk tray; clear bra; LED footwell lighting; rear spoiler; LED (interior/exterior); 35% tint; V6 bumper; 3000k HID fogs, 4300k HID lows

post #3 of 11 Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 PM
6th Gear

Agreed. 35W in those housings is pushing it. I would stick with 35, or if anything go back to halogen.

2008 NBP EX Coupe | 5000k HIDs | LED interior/reverse | Harmon Kardon Ipod Interface | 35% tints | Hyper Yellow DRL | LED Halo Fogs | Silverstar Turn Signals | Chrome Grille Strips/Mesh lower grille | Taillight Tint

post #4 of 11 Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Oh if only I had money...

Send a message via AIM to pozerpholife
Does it change anything if I plan to retrofit this summer?

'03 Accord 4dr I4 Taffeta White
Tinted windows, splash guards, gold accents, fogs
LED dome, doors, map light, and license plate
6k lows and fogs, Nokya Hyper Yellow highs
Custom flat black front grill
Cold Cathodes in the trunk
Pioneer F90BT bypassed
EX door switches
K&N cold air intake
Valentine 1 radar

To Come:
Near:Blacked out headlight housings
Far:Rims and a drop
post #5 of 11 Old 03-15-2009, 02:32 PM
5th Gear

If you retrofit (projectors) then you'll probably need a bulb with a different base.

2008 Accord EX-L i4 AT Polished Metal Metallic
19" HFPs (245/40R19); trunk tray; clear bra; LED footwell lighting; rear spoiler; LED (interior/exterior); 35% tint; V6 bumper; 3000k HID fogs, 4300k HID lows

post #6 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 01:20 AM
2nd Gear

If you do a retrofit you'll definitely need new bulbs. And please I speak for every other driver that's coming towards you.... Get a retro done or take the HIDs out. The glare hurts.... a lot!
post #7 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

I had an old hid setup as well with 35w, about last week i had to replace one of my burnt bulbs. i thought about upgrading to 55w, but after seeing some of these new kits on the roads, i refrained from doing so.

like you, i was used to the light output and color of my existing hid kit, i dont see a reason to upgrade and waste money. i do believe that the 55w IS excessive, and the 35w does the trick without attracting too much negative attention.

if you were already happy with the 35w, and dont have a problems driving through the night, imo, there is no need for upgrade.

04sedanv6ex 18 inch tenzoR rims, injen cai, neuspeed front upper tie bar, jdm headlights, jdm folding & signal mirrors, jdm tail lights, hid foglights/headlamps, shaved side door moldings, kamanari body kit, completely shaved trunk, painted oem grille body color.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 06:16 PM
RIP :(

I have seen some 6thgen accords with the 55watt kits, and the glare is not as bad as I thought it would be. The key is to aim the headlights down, but I agree how some could see the kits as pushing the envelope.

2004 Desert Mist Metallic Accord V6 Coupe
Suspension mods/Brakes-HFP suspension,neuspeed Strut bar,oem 6mt strut bar,tls sway bars,SS brake lines
Exterior mods- RX330/phillips D2S retrofit,06 accord EX 6mt Rims,ebay fogs/oem switch,oem moonroof visor, 15% tint
Sound-Kenwood navi, Polk audio 4 chan amp, Kicker solo baric L5
Engine-UR crank pulley,K&N air filter,03 CLS muffllers
post #9 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxcord View Post
I have seen some 6thgen accords with the 55watt kits, and the glare is not as bad as I thought it would be. The key is to aim the headlights down, but I agree how some could see the kits as pushing the envelope.
+1

yup. i aimed my inspired beams really low, i prolly over did it, but im very respectful to other drives. eh. i live in a small town/city, only drive small residential roads, "aimed lower to see the potholes better"

04sedanv6ex 18 inch tenzoR rims, injen cai, neuspeed front upper tie bar, jdm headlights, jdm folding & signal mirrors, jdm tail lights, hid foglights/headlamps, shaved side door moldings, kamanari body kit, completely shaved trunk, painted oem grille body color.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Out of Control

get the 55w and aim it down. Then when you get the retrofit use the 55w ballast and get the converter plugs and new philips dl50 or if you can't find them 85122+ 35w blubs and overdrive them. That is what I am doing for my retro. And it freaken bright. Rapes all the bmw and tsx hid no problem
post #11 of 11 Old 11-03-2010, 11:57 PM
1st Gear

if you want to install 55w hid in your truck or tractor, ok, no problem, you can go for it...but if it is your accord, you'd better stick with 35w....
no need to spend more extra money on 55w if you dont want to blind others eyes...

If you really need maximum light output, if you drive on very dark roads, you will want to install a 55W HID kits for more lighting power. you firstly can know the difference between 35w hids and 55w hids...

Last edited by Aviography; 11-04-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Deleted VVME site URL, suspect spammer
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.