Cutting extra transponder keys for 2004 Accord? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-17-2015, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
K24 VTEC 5spd - 138k

Garage
Cutting extra transponder keys for 2004 Accord?

Hey there, fellow Accord drivers. I just bought a 2004 Accord Couple LX but it only came with one key and I have to get 1-2 spares cut for my mother. The key looks like the one in the picture, however that's not the original key--just wanted to give you an idea of what it looked like. Apparently, it's one of those electronic transponder keys and can be costly to cut/program them. I can program the fobs myself, but I'm wondering if I have to take it to a dealer or can any old locksmith cut the key itself?

Thanks!

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,003 Times in 757 Posts
key to fold down backseat

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-17-2015, 05:21 PM
I love plastidip

It is going to be different dealer to dealer and even among local key cutting places.

I recently had an aftermarket switchblade key cut for my accord. I called around to no avail. Brought it in to a few places as well, with the same results. Finally, I visited a Honda dealer by chance that was almost one hour away, because it was by my university. They cut the aftermarket key for something like 10 dollars. My old fob was broken so I just transferred the transponder and remote over to the switchblade. And now I have my switchblade key.

So, just search around. If possible try to actually go into places. A lot of places are going to want you to buy the blank key directly from them.

2004 2.4L 2dr ex auto
K&N SRI, TSX intake manifold,
Ralco RZ underdrive pulleys, dc sports headers,
Megan testpipe, Tanabe catback exhaust,
TL-S front and rear sway bars
^none of that matters my speed3 is faster zoom zoom
The Following User Says Thank You to Animal_Mother For This Useful Post:
NightFire (01-18-2015)

post #4 of 12 Old 01-17-2015, 08:17 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
ha, I just read that this morning, and when I opened this forum, I was going to point to that one

Current:
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
2017 Honda Pilot EXL AWD w/ Sensing

Previous:
2016 Honda Crv AWD EXL
2006 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Navi I4
2013 Honda Ridgeline RTL Navi (Wife's)
2003 Mercedes ML500
2007 Pontiac Torrent (Wife's)
1994 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
1992 Mercedes 300SE
1988 Mercedes E260
post #5 of 12 Old 03-07-2015, 03:18 PM
emoze

Exclamation me too -

X2 - yesterday i was quoted "about $200" at Auburn, CA dealer

- $60 for the blank & "about 1.5 hrs in the shop to cut key program it"

- done by appointment only

I have one key & the code card, & can program the locks myself (04 EX)

anyone here have tips on finding a local locksmith to cut & set up a complete new key ?? (as OP also wants)

(especially Sacramento area)

the link above is not helpful for this situation

TIA
is offline
post #6 of 12 Old 03-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Out of Control

Ace hardware cuts the key for ten bucks, if you bring a blank, which you can find on ebay. By cutting, I mean imparting the ridges in the metal that will allow the key to turn in the ignition. The problem is the programming of the transponder chip inside the casing. Without that, the car will not start. I've heard that there are places outside the dealer that can do that, but I have not researched it too hard. You see, I live life on the edge and have had a single key, since 2008.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #7 of 12 Old 03-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Just here for the food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post
Ace hardware cuts the key for ten bucks, if you bring a blank, which you can find on ebay. By cutting, I mean imparting the ridges in the metal that will allow the key to turn in the ignition. The problem is the programming of the transponder chip inside the casing. Without that, the car will not start. I've heard that there are places outside the dealer that can do that, but I have not researched it too hard. You see, I live life on the edge and have had a single key, since 2008.
so it is true about ace hardware.. nice, i've got a couple blank fobs i need to get cut, and they're both programmed to unlock/lock the car. open the trunk too. and initiated the alarm. tragically, there are no ace hardware stores close by to where i live

'09 EX-L Sedan L4 "Nina" | NH578
Current mods:
  • LED interior lights (warm white dome + map | blue courtesy/door)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 6000k COB LED Bar DRL/Fogs (just for looks) INOP

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • NOKYA Hyper Yellows for DRLs/Highs
Upcoming:
– Plasti-dip stuff
– 2G TSX XM antenna swap
– Deck lid spoiler
– Black out roof
– LED fog light kit/mod

"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 12 Old 03-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by teezythakidd View Post
so it is true about ace hardware.. nice, i've got a couple blank fobs i need to get cut, and they're both programmed to unlock/lock the car. open the trunk too. and initiated the alarm. tragically, there are no ace hardware stores close by to where i live
Understand that the remote entry piece is not the transponder (if you do, then sorry). The transponder is a tiny black chip, which sits next to the remote. When my key broke apart, I dug it out and moved it to the new key I had cut at Ace.

Here is a pic.

My toughest oil thread:

post #9 of 12 Old 03-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Just here for the food

yup with the 7G and older, the transponder chip was separate from the remote/circuit board anyway. 8G and up, transponder is soldered onto the remote. its all one unit. random, with the flip keys and 8G remotes though you have to remove the transponder and sit it in the space designated for it so that the immobilizer in the car can communicate with the transponder, otherwise the car won't start because the transponder is too far away. or something like that. i screwed up an extra remote i had trying to get the transponder off the circuit board so i can use my flip key lol. i actually got my flip key cut last year.. and it turns! can't use it to start the car though. and i refuse to screw up another remote trying to get the transponder off lol

Current mods:

Upcoming:
– Plasti-dip stuff
– 2G TSX XM antenna swap
– Deck lid spoiler
– Black out roof
– LED fog light kit/mod

post #10 of 12 Old 03-07-2015, 04:45 PM
Out of Control

Gotcha. Am just now seeing that you have an 09'.

My toughest oil thread:

post #11 of 12 Old 03-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Just here for the food

yup! its really like pulling teeth, getting aftermarket keys cut. i wanna get these extra blanks done but this locksmith is charging $50 a pop.. which, really, is still a win compared to the $115 my honda dealership wants. but come on... it makes me look dumb because you guys are getting keys cut for 10 bucks lmao

Current mods:

Upcoming:
– Plasti-dip stuff
– 2G TSX XM antenna swap
– Deck lid spoiler
– Black out roof
– LED fog light kit/mod

post #12 of 12 Old 03-12-2015, 07:27 PM
emoze

Unhappy answers - just pay the money to Honda dealer

update - see these links

take away - call around - dealers are not uniform on pricing, they know a captive when they see 'em
is offline
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.