HELP!!! removing starter - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

HELP!!! removing starter

Can anyone help me locate the starter for a 2003 2.4L auto accord? Or if anyone has a service or repair manual pdf so that I can visually see where it is. Thanks

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 09:05 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
To find it just follow the cable running down from the battery.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 03 starter.pdf (142.6 KB, 6877 views)
File Type: pdf 03 intake.pdf (750.8 KB, 8876 views)
post #3 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 AM
banned

Send a message via AIM to 421
pretty sure it's behind the intake manifold white wire from the battery.
Attached Images

post #4 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

thanks alot for the quick reply guys!
post #5 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

took the starter to advance auto parts to check it and it's still good.....i don't know why my car isn't turning over.
The battery is fully charged and I just replace the alternator yesterday.
They said to check the grounds especially between the battery and the starter. can you guys help me or direct me to which grounds i should check and where? Also any tips on what else to check such as fuses or relay etc.. thanks
post #6 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 01:33 PM

Is the car doing anything at all when you turn the key? If it cranks but doesn't start check to see if the green key is flashing in the instrument panel. If not then it the immobilizer. Try a different key.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #7 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 02:34 PM
6th Gear

Make sure you describe EXACTLY what happens (clicking, motor whirring, lights dimming, dash lights, everything) so we can help diagnose this. Our odyssey had a bad starter but it tested out fine at Autozone.

-03 Honda Accord EX V6
-Debadged-17mm sway bar-UR crank pulley-AEM CAI
post #8 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

ok, when i put my key in and put to on, the cel, engine, battery and oil light comes on. After about 2 secs the cel light turns off and the engine, battery and oil light stays on. During the 2 secs I can hear the fuel pump whirring and the click of the relay. When I go to ignition I can hear the starter turn but the car doesn't start! All the accessories, windows, door locks, and even my alarm still work fine. What's the deal?!?!

Oh, the dash lights do flicker when I attempt to start the car but that is normal isn't it?
post #9 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 02:44 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by supralicious View Post
ok, when i put my key in and put to on, the cel, engine, battery and oil light comes on. After about 2 secs the cel light turns off and the engine, battery and oil light stays on. During the 2 secs I can hear the fuel pump whirring and the click of the relay. When I go to ignition I can hear the starter turn but the car doesn't start! All the accessories, windows, door locks, and even my alarm still work fine. What's the deal?!?!

Oh, the dash lights do flicker when I attempt to start the car but that is normal isn't it?
Ok, so you can hear the starter motor running but the engine isn't turning over?

-03 Honda Accord EX V6
post #10 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I can hear the starter motor turn but the engine never starts.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 03:49 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by supralicious View Post
I can hear the starter motor turn but the engine never starts.
Then the solenoid isn't engaging. Check and make sure that the little cable (not the + cable from the battery) on the starter is connected properly.

-03 Honda Accord EX V6
post #12 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I made sure that I connected all of the cables onto the starter correctly when I reinstalled it. Could it be a problem elsewhere?

********PROBLEM SOLVED************ Thank goodness I found a solution before resorting to going to the dealership. The ground that went from the battery to the chassis had somehow corroded and wasn't getting good contact. From the outside it looked fine until I actually unscrewed the bolt and found the thread was somehow rusted. I have since ran a new ground to a point where the engine is grounded. Soon I will run an isolated ground loop through the engine bay! Thanks to everyone for their help!!
post #13 of 14 Old 02-12-2009, 05:11 PM

Do you hear a high pitched whine or the normal cranking rhythm?

If it's sounding normal but doesn't actually fire, what's the immobilizer light doing?

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #14 of 14 Old 11-23-2017, 06:02 PM
My First Post

Tools You Need Prepare:
  • Replacement starter motor
  • Socket set
  • Wrench set
  • Hydraulic jack
  • Jack stands
  • Protective eyewear and gloves
  • Flashlight
  • Screwdriver set

Note: Take a couple pictures before your start taking stuff off so that we can get it back easy.

1> First thing we should disconnect the battery negative terminal. Lift the hood and remove the negative battery cable from the battery making sure the cable end is clear of the battery to avoid an accidental connection.

2> Next remove the intake tube from the throttle body going to the air filter box, you do not need to remove the air filter box.

3> Then, we need to remove intake manifold. There are 12 mm 6 bolts and nuts that is holding the intake manifold. Two on the top and 3 on the bottom of the intake manifold. Also, one 12 mm bolts intake manifold bracket that is holding in place, remove it.

4> If you want to remove intake manifold that you need make room for it. We can remove the beam above the battery. It is not difficult, just remove 6 bolts.

5> Finally, we can find the Honda CR-V Starter. There are two starter bolts 1 14 mm bolt on the top and 1 17 mm bolt on the bottom we need remove.

6> Once the old starter has been removed, match the replacement unit to ensure a proper installation.

7> After cleaning the mounting surfaces thoroughly, gently install the starter motor. (Note: Starters contain magnets which are brittle and can crack hindering the starter performance if not handled carefully.)

8> After all starter bolts have been installed, use a socket or wrench to tighten evenly and insert the positive battery cable onto the starter solenoid.

9> When reconnecting the negative battery cable, quickly (lightly) touch and release the cable to battery terminal, this quick check tests for a short circuit. Though a light (little) spark is normal, a large "zap" means there is a problem with the starter installation.

10> Once the job is complete, turn the ignition key to check the starter operation, if the starter does not work or makes abnormal noises, recheck the job wiring and starter mounting bolts.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 11-23-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.