oil recommendation for engines that burn oil - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 11-15-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

oil recommendation for engines that burn oil

I've noticed that many of you are upset with the 4 cyl engine burning oil.
I too had given up and was spending $10 a quart every 2 weeks on premium oil...

Then somehow i started using Mobil1 ADVANCED full synthetic..and i noticed a decrease in the rate of oil the engine was burning...I drove it like i normally did, and may have even pushed it a bit more..But its the oil itself!
I've only had to buy 1 quart since i changed my oil atleast 2+ months ago..
I recently just bought a 5 quart jug for around $27 from walmart. This should last me for a loooong time...
mind you, Im also using a long life, high performance oil filter that is supposedly good for 12K miles..but ill pretend its 6K miles and change in 4K miles..

Now im not saying that using this oil will stop your engine from burning oil, It will definitely not burn as fast...
Also, no one is paying me to say this..so try it out and let me know if its just me or if the oil is the stuff.

Good luck!

Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 11-16-2014, 05:51 AM
6th Gear

I switched to high mileage and it's done wonders for me. Burning way less.

Carlos
Honda Civic 2009 EX Sedan - Royal Blue Pearl -
Honda Accord 2003 EX Sedan - Taffeta White - Sold 12/15/14
post #3 of 38 Old 11-16-2014, 06:55 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cD5myeleanor View Post
I too had given up and was spending $10 a quart every 2 weeks on premium oil...

Then somehow i started using Mobil1 ADVANCED full synthetic..and i noticed a decrease in the rate of oil the engine was burning...I drove it like i normally did, and may have even pushed it a bit more..But its the oil itself!
I've only had to buy 1 quart since i changed my oil atleast 2+ months ago..
I recently just bought a 5 quart jug for around $27 from walmart. This should last me for a loooong time...
mind you, Im also using a long life, high performance oil filter that is supposedly good for 12K miles..but ill pretend its 6K miles and change in 4K miles..

Now im not saying that using this oil will stop your engine from burning oil, It will definitely not burn as fast...
Also, no one is paying me to say this..so try it out and let me know if its just me or if the oil is the stuff.

Good luck!
This is the oil that I use all the time in my car, maybe a little more than other oils, but I have been happy and don't have any oil loss when I change it.

Current:
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
2017 Honda Pilot EXL AWD w/ Sensing

Previous:
2016 Honda Crv AWD EXL
2006 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Navi I4
2013 Honda Ridgeline RTL Navi (Wife's)
2003 Mercedes ML500
2007 Pontiac Torrent (Wife's)
1994 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
1992 Mercedes 300SE
1988 Mercedes E260

post #4 of 38 Old 11-16-2014, 07:25 AM
4th Gear

Find out why your car is burning oil and fix that.

Could be anything from a PCV valve to piston rings
post #5 of 38 Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballer View Post

I need to change my piston rings? I think if you read most just look at the PCV valve but beyond that Im not pulling my pistons out anytime soon to change the rings.

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 265k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP
post #6 of 38 Old 11-16-2014, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

It's not worth it to me. Car drives just fine. I'll be upgrading to the tsx engine in a year or so anyways, so there's no point.
post #7 of 38 Old 11-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by cD5myeleanor View Post
Those that are upset, are justified if they have have been practicing good maintenance all along. If you use decent quality oil, change and check it regularly, never run low, never saw your oil light flip on... then you have a right to be upset.

If you've seen your oil light turn on or witnessed little or no oil on your dipstick, don't be surprised if your oil burning is now highly accelerated. If you've ever had to add more than a quart (I'm being generous), you waited too long. It only takes one episode to become a true oil burner.

If you bought your car used with high mileage, it's a risk you take because you really don't know for sure if the previous owners had good practices. Many sell their car because of oil burning so you really have to do your homework. Any bit of glaze, brown spots on a dipstick says a whole lot. When frequently pull and wipe the stick (IE; check oil), it doesn't accumulate glaze. Fresh oil on a glazed dipstick is laughable because the owner probably had the oil changed just for those coming to look at it. Oil bottles rolling around in the trunk? Might be a burner/leaker. Gassing the car in place to see if smoke emits from the tailpipe is a great idea. So is peering in the tailpipe, oil fill cap (check for buildup) and shining a light down into the valve cover. Spend more time looking under a used car for leaks. So many never do. Bring cardboard, run one side up on a curb and crawl under if you don't want to jack. Some "oil burners" are actually oil leakers, but the owners don't know it.

I've had people laugh at me when I pop my hood at the gas station (my passengers). It's something I do with every fill up. One lady pumping on the other side of me asked me if everything was okay because I had my hood up.

...Drew...

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 38 Old 11-16-2014, 10:09 AM
07 I4 MT coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post
Those that are upset, are justified if they have have been practicing good maintenance all along. If you use decent quality oil, change and check it regularly, never run low, never saw your oil light flip on... then you have a right to be upset.
^ This

I have had many Honda's prior to this one and loved them all, but with this problem I think this Accord could very well be the last Honda I own.

07 4cyl 5MT LX coupe
LONG LIVE THE MANUALS!
Let my manual play you the song of its people *burnout*
post #9 of 38 Old 11-16-2014, 01:46 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post

If you've seen your oil light turn on or witnessed little or no oil on your dipstick, don't be surprised if your oil burning is now highly accelerated. If you've ever had to add more than a quart (I'm being generous), you waited too long. It only takes one episode to become a true oil burner.

If you bought your car used with high mileage, it's a risk you take because you really don't know for sure if the previous owners had good practices. Many sell their car because of oil burning so you really have to do your homework. Any bit of glaze, brown spots on a dipstick says a whole lot. Fresh oil on a glazed dipstick is laughable. Oil bottles rolling around in the trunk? Gassing the car in place to see if smoke emits from the tailpipe is a great idea. So is peering in the tailpipe, oil fill cap and shining a light down into the valve cover. Spend more time looking under a used car. So many never do. Bring cardboard, run one side up on a curb and crawl under if you don't want to jack. Some "oil burners" are actually oil leakers, but the owners don't know it.

I've had people laugh at me when I pop my hood at the gas station (my passengers). It's something I do with every fill up. One lady pumping on the other side of me asked me if everything was okay because I had my hood up.

...Drew...
I change my own oil (cheaper for me, plus I know it is done right), but it doesn't show up in carfax reports...I try to keep receipts, but they fade, esp from Advance Auto Parts...but I do change mine with Mobile 1 full synthetic about every 5k miles, I know it says you can go longer, but it costs me $35 for 5k miles of oil, its worth it help try and keep the engine running great.

Current:
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
2017 Honda Pilot EXL AWD w/ Sensing

Previous:
2016 Honda Crv AWD EXL
2006 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Navi I4
2013 Honda Ridgeline RTL Navi (Wife's)
2003 Mercedes ML500
2007 Pontiac Torrent (Wife's)
1994 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
1992 Mercedes 300SE
1988 Mercedes E260
post #10 of 38 Old 11-16-2014, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

I just bought castrol gtx 5w20 high mileage for top ups.

-T
post #11 of 38 Old 11-16-2014, 09:09 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballer View Post

I'm not going to be pulling the piston rings anytime soon. Ruled out PCV or any kind of leak.

I'll stick to putting in 5 dollar oil.

Currently burning 1 qt per 2k miles with high mileage oil. that's gonna be 250 dollars per 100k miles. I got the car in this condition burning 1k every 1000 with regular oil, consumption hasn't increased, but I'm on top of the level.

I don't have the right to be upset, but I can do my part to slow it down by being on top of it. Many people just do the changes and go on for 3-4k without ever popping the hood.

Drew, it's weird, even when using 1qt per 1k with regular oil, my car never smokes blue, even when stepping on it. But the tailpipe does get the black soot. So potential accord buyers, stick your finger in the tailpipe.

Carlos
Honda Civic 2009 EX Sedan - Royal Blue Pearl -
Honda Accord 2003 EX Sedan - Taffeta White - Sold 12/15/14
post #12 of 38 Old 11-17-2014, 05:03 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFire View Post
I'm not going to be pulling the piston rings anytime soon. Ruled out PCV or any kind of leak.

I'll stick to putting in 5 dollar oil.

Currently burning 1 qt per 2k miles with high mileage oil. that's gonna be 250 dollars per 100k miles. I got the car in this condition burning 1k every 1000 with regular oil, consumption hasn't increased, but I'm on top of the level.

I don't have the right to be upset, but I can do my part to slow it down by being on top of it. Many people just do the changes and go on for 3-4k without ever popping the hood.

Drew, it's weird, even when using 1qt per 1k with regular oil, my car never smokes blue, even when stepping on it. But the tailpipe does get the black soot. So potential accord buyers, stick your finger in the tailpipe.
Carlos, you're doing the right thing. It's cheaper to add oil than pay for new piston rings. By staying on it and topping off, you're essentially freezing the problem in time and it likely won't get any worse. You can do hundreds of thousands of miles just adding a little oil here and there, along the way. So simple, but many won't check it.

I run high quality full synthetic in both my vehicles but I keep a 5qt bottle of PYB (pennzoil yellow bottle) around for topping off mine and family vehicles. It's got a great additives package. My vehicles burn very little oil and when I do top off, it's 3 or 4K after an oil change. At that point, the syn is halfway through it's life cycle and PYB is about equal quality or better. Besides, in a few more thousand, I'll be draining it anyway. People say don't mix, but the mixture is almost all syn and besides, what are synthetic blends?

All these Accords have black soot in the tailpipe, mine included. They're not natural gas vehicles. Smoke emitting from the tail while gassing in place, means it will be a FAST oil burner. Rub it between your fingers. Dry black soot is normal, oily black soot is not and the exhaust will smell a little richer.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #13 of 38 Old 11-17-2014, 05:10 AM
Fear The Turtle!

I bought the car at 80,000 miles. Made the immediate switch to Mobil1. After a couple oil changes, noting I was losing about1 qt per 5,000 miles. I switched to Mobil1 High Mileage and changed the PCV valve at the same time. First oil change the rate seemed the same, second oil change I'm at about 5,000 miles and I'm maybe 1/4 of the dipstick down from full. I don't think I'll need to top off this time, hopefully it keeps up.

BTW: I too have never had excessive smoke.

Mike

2006 Accord EX-L K24 5MT ASM -

1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan Flat Roof 3MT -

2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Wife's
2008 Hyundai Sonata SE V6
2012 Tacoma TRD Sport CCSB 1GR 6MT 4WD MGM
2011 Civic Si K20 6MT CBP
2001 Pathfinder SE VQ35 5MT SB
2006 Excursion Limited V10 4WD 4AT
1997 Pathfinder SE VG33 5AT
1999 ML320 5AT
1996 Accord LX F22 4AT
post #14 of 38 Old 11-17-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

It's like magic...you dont see it or smell it. No leaks in the driveway, when you check underneath, its bone dry. Haven't really measure the rate of the oil burnoff, but it hadn't increased or decreased prior to using the advanced full synthetic, long life or w/e you want to call it.

Drew, what a post.

When i was car shopping, I decided to take no one else but my dad. His wisdom in these matters is essential in long term choices. He said the accord had a lot of pickup for a 4 cyl...but the car came with a SRI, that made sense..Afterward, he opened the hood and unscrewed the crank case cap while the engine was running. It looked strange because I don't know what you can gauge from this.. but he said he didn't like the way it was thumping air and splashing oil inside the head. It seemed laughable and absurd, his opinion, so we moved on. After a few week, we started running out of time and looked at a few other half decent candidates. After multiple disappointments, we came back and bought the 2003 for a lower price than the seller initial asking price.

Glad to see more people using this oil..

On a side note, i tried lucas synthetic oil stabilizer for shits and giggles. It made my engine feel sluggish..
post #15 of 38 Old 11-17-2014, 11:30 PM
03-SSM-AV6-6MT

My Accord usually never needs oil depending on how hard I'm driving it. I've never added more than 1/2 a quart between changes. (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30)

On previous cars, and my fathers TSX which used some oil I've had great luck with Pennzoil High Mileage 5w30, if that's not available Valvoline Max Life 5w30 also kept it to a minimum.

The TSX was getting dealer oil changes. I believe they used "bulk oil" and it was 5w20, the motor in that car calls for 5w30. It was using 1-1/2-2 quarts between changes, and I think that's what started the problem in the first place. Now the car never needs more that 1/2 qt per 3500-4000 change intervals.

Researching oil burning over at BITOG it seems 5W20 may be a culprit in the oil burning. It was basically put into effect to raise MPG. I had an 03 Acura TL-S, it called for 5W20, the 02 TL-S with the same engine called for 5W30.

My friends 04 Civic EX 5MT was using a lot of oil between changes (3 quarts) he had high mileage 5w20 and switched to the 5w30 and it dropped to 1qt between changes. He's pretty picky with what the manual calls for, and his MPG. He noticed a decrease in 1-2 mpg over a few fill ups.

MindFork likes this.

2003 Accord V6 6MT
OEM kit/spoiler/fogs. 35% tint. Custom 3.5inch CAI, 3.7 Intake mani and TB, coolant bypass, RV6 Jpipe, 2.5 custom cat back to 2.5 Magnaflows, TL ECU tuned on Hondata Flashpro, Ingals tq dampner, JDM DC5-R 6mt shift knob, TL-S rear sway bar, H&R sport with Koni adjustbl. Black housed hdlights, Akoi LED 9006 and H1 bulbs gloss blk roof. Enkei RPF1 17x8 wheels with Michelin Pilot Super sport 235/45/17 tires. 245whp 220wtq

2015 Honda Civic LX 5MT (daily)
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisQ80 For This Useful Post:
MindFork (08-02-2015)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.