Headlight bulb replacement without removing fender liner - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-23-2014, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Headlight bulb replacement without removing fender liner

Going to replace my stock headlight bulbs with Philips 9012 HIR bulbs on Monday.

Based on some searching here, it seems the standard way to replace the low-beam bulbs is to remove part of the inner fender liner. However, there are some videos you Youtube which show that you can replace the bulbs without having to remove the liner, by going under the hood. The passenger side seems pretty easy, and the driver's side doesn't look too bad either (just need to remove the battery which is a 5-min process).

Anybody done it this way before? Would you recommend it vs. getting to the bulb through the fender liner?

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

I tried from the inner fender liner and scratched my arm along the way.

Much easier to go in from above, trust me, I've done this enough times!!

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-23-2014, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviography View Post
I tried from the inner fender liner and scratched my arm along the way.

Much easier to go in from above, trust me, I've done this enough times!!
Thanks. Any hints/tips for accessing the bulbs from the top?

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan

post #4 of 15 Old 08-23-2014, 03:30 PM
JTL
4th Gear

Just look down. You will see them. Having small hands help too. I suggest wearing gloves so your hand doesn't get scratched up.

James

2003 Honda Accord EX Sedan I4 AT [NHBP],
Taillights tinted red w/ VHT to resemble '05 lights,
'05 Acura TL 17" wheels w/ Cooper Zeon tires,
3M Carbon Fiber vinyl wrapped interior trim,
WeatherTech floor mats (front & rear),
Compustar CS600 Remote Starter,
GTA CarKit Aux/iPod Adapter,
~190,000 Miles.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-23-2014, 06:17 PM
6th Gear

Here's an old thread that I think should help:

How to replace headlight bulb on 05 Accord V6?

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #6 of 15 Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I think removing a few push clips from the fender liner would take less time than removing the battery. Removing the battery also requires you to enter the radio code, reset the radio stations, and the clock. I didn't have any problems going in from the fender. It might seem like you are going to kink up the fender liner, but it just pops right back into place. Would the owner's manual steer you wrong?

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
The Following User Says Thank You to BLCKFLSH For This Useful Post:
DreaminAccord (08-24-2014)
post #7 of 15 Old 08-23-2014, 07:00 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
I think removing a few push clips from the fender liner would take less time than removing the battery. Removing the battery also requires you to enter the radio code, reset the radio stations, and the clock. I didn't have any problems going in from the fender. It might seem like you are going to kink up the fender liner, but it just pops right back into place. Would the owner's manual steer you wrong?
I agree, its easy to just pull back the fender liner dont need to remove it.

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 265k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP
post #8 of 15 Old 08-23-2014, 07:05 PM
6th Gear

I can access both sides without removing battery or liner, you just have to feel your way. Without removing the liner and pulling it, you're gonna get some scratches on your forearms.

Carlos
Honda Civic 2009 EX Sedan - Royal Blue Pearl -
Honda Accord 2003 EX Sedan - Taffeta White - Sold 12/15/14
post #9 of 15 Old 08-24-2014, 04:05 PM
3rd Gear

I've gone through a slew of headlight bulbs (back to OEM for now), and have lots of experience changing them. The wheel well technique is by far the easiest. You don't have to remove anything, just pull the wheel well cowling back enough to reach in. I can do both sides in about 15 minutes although you have to sit on the ground.

It helps to keep a small bag of those bumper clips handy; they break very easily but are quite cheap.

2004 LX sedan, 4-cyl, 5-spd, 315k
post #10 of 15 Old 08-24-2014, 06:02 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiedad4 View Post
It helps to keep a small bag of those bumper clips handy; they break very easily but are quite cheap.
Heck, I dont even replace all of them. I have several missing especially under the hood and all is fine. I just use enough to keep the panel from falling off.

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 265k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP
post #11 of 15 Old 08-24-2014, 06:41 PM
I <3 My Honda

Carl: lol I ended up doing the same thing with my fender & under-hood clips when I was working on my retros - got so tired of removing and replacing all of them.

OP: I definitely agree with the others - for me personally, it takes < 1 minute to remove the fender clips with a panel popper (maybe a couple minutes with a flat head screw driver) - then just reach in, twist the LB CCW, pop the new bulb in and twist CW, then pop the clips back in. Done. - I find it a lot easier than finding a 10mm, undoing both battery terminals, lifting the battery up and out, replacing bulb, re-installing battery, then having to put in your radio (& navi) codes

Ben

'07 EX-L HFP V6 Coupe w/ Navi - "Tawonda"
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather
(Sold 07/26/17)

'17 Touring HFP V6 Coupe - "Bianca"
White Orchid Pearl / Black Ivory Leather
(Purchased 5/18/17)
post #12 of 15 Old 08-24-2014, 07:01 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I've gone through enough of the clips over the years, I'm getting good at not screwing them up. You can't just go jamming them in, you have to make sure all the little legs go in the hole, and they go in just fine.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #13 of 15 Old 08-24-2014, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

To each their own I guess, I tried the fender liner route once, that's enough for me, I personally prefer removing the battery, but that's just me.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

post #14 of 15 Old 08-25-2014, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

I did the 9006 --> 9012 swap today.

To my surprise, both the passenger and the driver's side were easily done, without having to remove the battery or open the fender liner.

To help others in the future, I made a short tutorial with pictures.

Passenger side: as you can see from the pictures, you have relatively easy access to the low-beam bulbs. No need to remove anything. All you need to do is reach under the power steering hose. This side only took me about 2-3 minutes total.

To remove the bulb, first pull off the power plug. You need to press down on the lower back part of the white plug to release the lock, while pulling down on the white plug at the same time.

Afterwards, grab the back of the bulb and rotate counterclockwise about 1/4 turn, and then the bulb will come loose and you can pull it out.

To install, simply put in the new bulb, line up the tabs, and rotate clockwise 1/4 turn to lock it in. It is very easy to line up the tabs, and you can definitely do it by feel alone.

To re-attach the power connector, push firmly upward on the white plug until you feel it clicking into place.

The power connector on the bulb should be facing straight down once the bulb is locked into place.

The driver's side is harder, but still very much doable without having to remove the battery or the fender liner.

On the driver's side, you will need to remove this cover first. Don't worry, it's very easy and no tools are needed to remove the 2 clips. Just pull the inner part of the clip while holding still the plastic ring around it, and it will come out.

Once this cover is out, you will have access to the headlight bulb. Access is tighter on this side compared to the passenger side, but it is still easy to get the old bulb out and the new one in. I recommend practicing removal/installation with the old bulb a few times before you try it with the brand new bulb.

Shown below is another view, from the short side of the battery. To get to the bulb, I recommend sticking a hand down into the gap between the side of the battery and the fender (see below).

You can stick your other hand through the other gap (see the last picture) and use that hand to help pull off the power plug for the bulb.

For those who are replacing their stock 9006 bulbs with brighter 9012 HIR bulbs, here is the template for modifying the tabs on the 9012 bulbs. I used a pair of tin snips and large nail clippers to trim off the excess plastic from the 9012 bulb, and it was a relatively easy process.

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
post #15 of 15 Old 08-26-2014, 04:25 AM
Carpe Diem

I have fairly large hands and arms and I've always just reached down and changed them. Sure it is a tight fit, but definitely doable.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.