how much to change IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-02-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

how much to change IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER

My car is Honda accord 2005, yesterday after I filled gasoline at gas station. I can't start my card, I plug my key and I could not turn the key to start my car. Looks like it was locked firmly. When I retried, it feels hard to plug in the key and I had to push hard, so it is possible IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER is worn out. But I still could not start my car. I can not turn the wheel and gear from "P" to "N"

I had to call road service to tow my car back home. I tried my back up key at home, still no good.

So I called to road service to tow my car to an official Honda dealer today. They told me they had to change the IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER(or something like that), it will cost me $500 for both parts and labor.

So my question is (1) if $500 is a fair price to change the lock.
(2) if such worn out of lock is normal for a Honda car?

I could not open my trunk and drive side door with my key too for a long time.
They changed my trunk lock CYLINDER last time and it cost me 280 dollars, and they asked 300 dollars to change the driver side door lock(CYLINDER)
Thank you

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-02-2014, 05:09 PM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
greenshell:

There was an excellent write up on this in the past week....links to show you how to change it and how fast and easy it is to do....

ignition cylinder jammed
Ignition lock and subsequent problems
repair rather than replace: 2004 accord LX broken ignition
Excellent video on how to remove the lock yourself:

No money is "fair" if you can do it yourself....
Locks wear out....that's why you use a fresh key (either original and unused or a replacement made from an unused key- if that does not work then the lock itself is worn.)

The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
cD5myeleanor (08-02-2014)
post #3 of 9 Old 08-02-2014, 07:24 PM
4th Gear

lol this is happening to me right now..
cars at honda..
they are charging me $315 for the part and $100 something for labor..
blah

post #4 of 9 Old 08-02-2014, 07:28 PM
4th Gear

just let honda take care of it..
I've changed my ignition cylinder before on a 1992 honda prelude
It was stressful becuz i had to hammer slits into the rivets and I dont even remember but it was a long and stressful fix. However, It felt great when it all worked out...

when i looked at the accords system, i could tell it would require additional steps that I didnt want to stress over.

I'm gonna let a paid mechanic worry about it.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-02-2014, 07:55 PM
2006 I4 MT

Parts:
Manual Trans - LX, EX - 35100-SDA-A61 $278.72
Auto Trans - LX, EX - 35100-SDA-A71 $278.72

Labor is 1.3 hours.

They are charging you exactly how much the standard book rate is, no more and no less. You can shop around to find a better rate as this one is going by the book. Plus you are paying full retail price with the part, ouch.

2006 Accord LX Coupe I4 MT
post #6 of 9 Old 08-02-2014, 08:45 PM
4th Gear

i think $500 is a bit excessive..I'll be paying around $450...
post #7 of 9 Old 08-05-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

OK, after changing IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER.

They called me that they can change all the locks, two doors and trunk, for another 200+ dollars. Because my drive side door was broken already. And give a single key for all the locks(IGNITION, two doors and trunk). Otherwise I will use a single key for the ignition and 3 original keys for my doors and trunk. If I ask them to reprogram the ignition to match my original key, they will probably ask more money.

I think I will live with an additional key for the ignition
post #8 of 9 Old 08-05-2014, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

If I buy the parts from advanced auto parts(They offer % off coupons all the time) and change it at a small repair store, probably can save a few bucks
post #9 of 9 Old 08-08-2014, 05:43 PM
3rd Gear

Our 03 with 192K just had the same problem. Other than removing the slotless bolts holding the assembly to the steering column, it does not seem like a difficult repair, but if you don't feel comfortable or have the time to do it, 500 is not unfair. That should include one remote that will open the trunk doors with the new ignition key in the blade. Your other remote can be reconfigured (a good 'smith can do it) so you'll have two keys with remotes that will work in the ignition. Probably good to carry an old dumb key that fits the doors just in case your remote won't work some time (at night in a lonely place).

Cars in the Garage:

2013 Accord EX Sedan MSM 6MT
2010 Acura TL AWD 6MT
2003 Accord EX 5MT (at 165K and counting)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.