SRS Light on - Code 6-1 (Seat Belt Buckle) - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-30-2014, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Angry SRS Light on - Code 6-1 (Seat Belt Buckle)

So my airbag light has been coming on randomly for the past couple days.
If I get a seat belt warning beep/light, the airbag light won't come on, if I don't see the seat belt warning, the airbag light comes one.

I got the code 6-1 jumping the OBDII port. Looking at this forum and many other for hours, many have had the same exact problem before and their Honda dealership has fixed it for free under the Safety warranty. I have spoken to multiple service advisers at my local Honda dealership and none of them said I could get the sensor/buckle fixed for free. They said they would have to replace the ENTIRE seat belt system and it would cost ~$350.

They say only if the buckle doesn't latch, it's under warranty.

I have tried cleaning the buckle by taking the plastic cover over it off, but haven't tried taking the whole buckle out itself. This has made it a bit better, but airbag sign still comes on after 5 mins of driving.

2004 Accord 4cyl lx, 98,000 miles.

***Just talked on the phone for 15 minutes with Honda America Customer service***

I explained to the rep that the buckle sensor is messed up, it triggers the srs warning light, or the seat belt warning doesn't work, and the car wont deploy the airbag. I asked if it's covered under any safety warranty or the seat belt warranty. She explained to me MULTIPLE times that the warranty only covers if the belt doesn't buckle and that there is NO problem with my buckle, and they kept saying that this is an airbag problem and has nothing to do with seat belts at all!!!!

WTF?! What sort of stealership do people go to, to get this fixed.

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-30-2014, 10:17 AM
I detail my car, a lot.

Garage
A quick search resulted this.
I fixed my seatbelt buckle today

2007 Accord V6 EX-L Navi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4 Door AT ASM
All Factory except: Inspire fogs, dash camera, AUX jack, reverse camera, condenser protection mod, speaker upgrades, interior LED swap, OEM shift boot, 35% tint, WeatherTech mats
Future Dreams: Auto Day/Night mirror, Hybrid side mirrors
120K Miles (as of October2017) - Heath
post #3 of 11 Old 07-30-2014, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathmc View Post
A quick search resulted this.
I fixed my seatbelt buckle today
I have been to those threads and many like it. I have cleaned the buckle, I have sprayed compressed air and some WD-40, still no luck.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Mike

If you can not get warranty then this will help:

Others on this forum who reside in the US get it fixed under warranty?

04 - V6 Auto Luxury Accord (Thail build).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It’s easy to be NASTY - Sometimes it takes a little more effort to be NICE.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-30-2014, 04:01 PM
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aregvan View Post
So my airbag light has been coming on randomly for the past couple days.
If I get a seat belt warning beep/light, the airbag light won't come on, if I don't see the seat belt warning, the airbag light comes one.

I got the code 6-1 jumping the OBDII port. Looking at this forum and many other for hours, many have had the same exact problem before and their Honda dealership has fixed it for free under the Safety warranty. I have spoken to multiple service advisers at my local Honda dealership and none of them said I could get the sensor/buckle fixed for free. They said they would have to replace the ENTIRE seat belt system and it would cost ~$350.

They say only if the buckle doesn't latch, it's under warranty.

I have tried cleaning the buckle by taking the plastic cover over it off, but haven't tried taking the whole buckle out itself. This has made it a bit better, but airbag sign still comes on after 5 mins of driving.

2004 Accord 4cyl lx, 98,000 miles.

***Just talked on the phone for 15 minutes with Honda America Customer service***

I explained to the rep that the buckle sensor is messed up, it triggers the srs warning light, or the seat belt warning doesn't work, and the car wont deploy the airbag. I asked if it's covered under any safety warranty or the seat belt warranty. She explained to me MULTIPLE times that the warranty only covers if the belt doesn't buckle and that there is NO problem with my buckle, and they kept saying that this is an airbag problem and has nothing to do with seat belts at all!!!!

WTF?! What sort of stealership do people go to, to get this fixed.
i havent checked any of those links, but i can say for 100% certainty that at my dealer in the boston area, 100% of the seat belt issues that are considered parts failures (not doggie chewed, deployed pretensioners, or chaffed kevlar) are covered on all cars up until 07'. after that there is a mileage/time cap.

then again, i work at a dealership and have never stolen from anybody.

-Takeda SRI
-aFe TBS+thermals
-P&P Runners
-P2R Intake Riser+thermals (1" total)
-Port-match heads (Intake Side Only)
-XLR8 V2 J-Pipe w/cat delete
-Megan Racing OE-RS Cat Back
-ZEX 50HP
-Ingalls "STIFFY" torque damper
-Cosmo Racing Short Shifter
-Slave check vlv delete
-TS shift cable bushings
-HFP susp
-TL 20mm RSB
-Megan Racing R camber+radius arms
-Smooth-On 60A Poly Filled Comp Bushings
-20mm F & 25 mm R spacers
-StopTech drilled & slotted
-Ktuner
-VitViper Tune

Last edited by crmplex; 07-30-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 11 Old 07-30-2014, 05:18 PM
BRWNFLSH now

If you are not in the USA, it may not be covered. My buckle was replaced free of charge, in Louisiana, USA. My 03 has "lifetime" warranty on seatbelt components, but from what I've read the 07 (and maybe other years) have a time/mileage limit on seatbelt coverage. Your owner's manual or warranty booklet should have the information for your car.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #7 of 11 Old 07-30-2014, 05:30 PM
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
If you are not in the USA, it may not be covered. My buckle was replaced free of charge, in Louisiana, USA. My 03 has "lifetime" warranty on seatbelt components, but from what I've read the 07 (and maybe other years) have a time/mileage limit on seatbelt coverage. Your owner's manual or warranty booklet should have the information for your car.
i should have elaborated. 07 and up no longer have unlimited years/mileage. i dont know the numbers but ill ask my director at work tomorrow so we can clear it up.

-Takeda SRI
-aFe TBS+thermals
-P&P Runners
-P2R Intake Riser+thermals (1" total)
-Port-match heads (Intake Side Only)
-XLR8 V2 J-Pipe w/cat delete
-Megan Racing OE-RS Cat Back
-ZEX 50HP
-Ingalls "STIFFY" torque damper
-Cosmo Racing Short Shifter
-Slave check vlv delete
-TS shift cable bushings
-HFP susp
-TL 20mm RSB
-Megan Racing R camber+radius arms
-Smooth-On 60A Poly Filled Comp Bushings
-20mm F & 25 mm R spacers
-StopTech drilled & slotted
-Ktuner
-VitViper Tune
post #8 of 11 Old 07-30-2014, 05:56 PM
BRWNFLSH now

And that's why I mentioned looking in the owner's manual. Warranties change, but the owner's manual for your car should have the coverage for that car. I had assumed all 7th gen Accords were "lifetime", but I was mistaken.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #9 of 11 Old 07-30-2014, 06:43 PM
5th Gear

Call a different dealership. They should cover the buckle under warranty. You may have to pay a $50 diagnostic fee, but they'll refund you if the buckle is the cause.

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
post #10 of 11 Old 07-30-2014, 08:07 PM
4th Gear

I would suggest you to call other dealerships until one is willing to replace it under warranty as it should be. I had the same issue with my seatbelt buckle a few years ago and honda replaced it free of charge. The service manager at the time told me that as long as the issues are related to the buckle, Honda will replace it. He also told me that the term "unlimited miles" is actually only 100k miles or 10 years.

2003 EX V6 Coupe
post #11 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 03:15 PM
5th Gear

Garage
Ok, I asked a senior advisor and he said that for 07 and up, the coverage is 15years or 150,000 miles. I apologize I was busy today and I didn't have time to look it up myself.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.