Drive belt - is it ready for the replacement? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 87 Old 09-23-2008, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Drive belt - is it ready for the replacement?

My 2004 Accord coupe with 63k seems to be ready for the drive belt replacement.
Unless I misinterpreted the position of the indicator...

Here is a picture of my car, can you confirm this for me?

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 09-23-2008, 05:02 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
What indicator?

Belts are usually replaced at 105k mile intervals, or 7 years for Accords 1998 and newer.

post #3 of 87 Old 09-23-2008, 05:33 PM

I see the arrow and "line" on the moving part of the tensioner. I've never noticed what a new belt looks like on those marks. I'll have to look on the next one.

I've only ever changed them at 110k or when the belt shows damage, noise or some other reason for replacement.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock

post #4 of 87 Old 09-23-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
I see the arrow and "line" on the moving part of the tensioner. I've never noticed what a new belt looks like on those marks. I'll have to look on the next one.
Yes, this mark and arrow I was refering to, probably should be more clear about it...

All my old cars had couple of V-belts, so this accord is new experience.
My first car with a serpentine belt and I am not sure (without the service manual) what are the symptoms of the worn/streched belt.
I do not see any visible cracks or chunks missing, but the mark/arrow seems to be worth checking - that is the reason for this thread :-)

Here is some info I found online about serpentine belts in general:

And this is the page mentioning the indicator which I think I found on my car:

Can any of you check his/her 7th gen accord (4-cyl) and compare the indicator? Please state how new is your serpentine belt, as well.

Thanks!
post #5 of 87 Old 09-23-2008, 11:37 PM
06 6MT Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszemol View Post
Yes, this mark and arrow I was refering to, probably should be more clear about it...

All my old cars had couple of V-belts, so this accord is new experience.
My first car with a serpentine belt and I am not sure (without the service manual) what are the symptoms of the worn/streched belt.
I do not see any visible cracks or chunks missing, but the mark/arrow seems to be worth checking - that is the reason for this thread :-)

Here is some info I found online about serpentine belts in general:

And this is the page mentioning the indicator which I think I found on my car:

Can any of you check his/her 7th gen accord (4-cyl) and compare the indicator? Please state how new is your serpentine belt, as well.

Thanks!
Since it only takes like 3 minutes to change, why not go right ahead and do it?

2006 Accord Sedan 6MT Navi
Audio Control LC6I / Rockford Fosgate R600X5 / Infinity Reference 9633cf / Infinity Reference 6030cs / Rockford Fosgate Punch P1-2X10 / Parrot MK6000 / Diode Dynamics 6000K HID Low Beams / DDM 3000K HID Factory Fogs / Diode Dynamcs Stage II LED Conversion / Backup Camera / Mid Muffler Delete / Dynomax Exhaust Resonator / Fujita CAI / 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar / Tein S Tech Springs / Tokico Blues / Ingalls Camber Kit / Ingalls Stiffy
post #6 of 87 Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmo069 View Post
Well, if I had a new belt I would probably have it changed by now... but I do not have new belt.

To buy a new belt I would like to know first in my current belt is in need for a replacement. You know, my money source is not unlimited

Now when I think about it, it would probably be not a bad idea to have a spare belt in the trunk, anyway... hm...
post #7 of 87 Old 09-24-2008, 10:24 AM
06 6MT Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszemol View Post
Well, if I had a new belt I would probably have it changed by now... but I do not have new belt.

To buy a new belt I would like to know first in my current belt is in need for a replacement. You know, my money source is not unlimited

Now when I think about it, it would probably be not a bad idea to have a spare belt in the trunk, anyway... hm...
I changed mine at 45K and threw the old one in the trunk as a spare.

Audio Control LC6I / Rockford Fosgate R600X5 / Infinity Reference 9633cf / Infinity Reference 6030cs / Rockford Fosgate Punch P1-2X10 / Parrot MK6000 / Diode Dynamics 6000K HID Low Beams / DDM 3000K HID Factory Fogs / Diode Dynamcs Stage II LED Conversion / Backup Camera / Mid Muffler Delete / Dynomax Exhaust Resonator / Fujita CAI / 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar / Tein S Tech Springs / Tokico Blues / Ingalls Camber Kit / Ingalls Stiffy
post #8 of 87 Old 09-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Jimmy Rustler

Does anyone else's squeal when you first start your engine (2.4)? Minde does, but goes away quickly. I might go with a Gatorback for the $45.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 87 Old 09-24-2008, 11:13 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
How easy is it to replace the drive belt? Do you have a DIY?

what tools do I need?

Heck if it's only 3 minutes, I may as well just replace mine just for the heck of it since my car have 66k miles now.
post #10 of 87 Old 09-24-2008, 03:12 PM
06 6MT Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
Does anyone else's squeal when you first start your engine (2.4)? Minde does, but goes away quickly. I might go with a Gatorback for the $45.
I paid something like $25 for the gatorback Autozone.

post #11 of 87 Old 09-24-2008, 03:14 PM
06 6MT Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroze View Post
How easy is it to replace the drive belt? Do you have a DIY?

what tools do I need?

Heck if it's only 3 minutes, I may as well just replace mine just for the heck of it since my car have 66k miles now.
You just need the right socket and a breaker bar for the belt tensioner. I don't have a DIY. I just figured it out on the fly. Maybe someone else here does.

post #12 of 87 Old 09-24-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Why did you buy Gatorback? Is it any better/quieter than OEM belt? I think I saw a thread here where somebody complained about this Gatorback being noisy...

I've checked the honda eStore and I see two OEM belts fitting my 2004 I4 coupe:

BELT, COMPRESSOR (BANDO) 38920-RAA-A01 $36.07
BELT, COMPRESSOR (MITSUBOSHI) 38920-RAA-A02 $36.07

What is your selection criteria when picking the serpentine belt?
Would you pick BANDO or MITSUBOSHI? :-)
post #13 of 87 Old 09-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
How long ago was that? Right now the Gatorback ( 4070700) lists for $45.99 at Autozone.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)

post #14 of 87 Old 09-25-2008, 07:35 AM
OCD

I can't see which side the smaller of the two bars is on. The arrow is usually between them. Like this

----
l....l
l....l ----
l....l l....l
l....l l....l
.....A

Mine was recently replaced due to a defect in the first one at just under 30K (something at the seam) and that's where the old one was and where the new one was too. If it gets more to the right like this

----
l....l
l....l ----
l....l l....l
l....l l....l
..........A

the tension is gone and you definitly need a new one. You don't want it all the way to the left either like this

----
l....l
l....l ----
l....l l....l
l....l l....l
A

too tight and you'll get squeeling when you start the car and it will go away once it warms up and the belt expands.

Hope that helps.

10 Civic Type S GT 1.8L MT I4
05 Accord Coupe LX-SE MT I4 Gone..sniff sniff
post #15 of 87 Old 09-25-2008, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peniole View Post
I can't see which side the smaller of the two bars is on. The arrow is usually between them. Like this

----
l....l
l....l ----
l....l l....l
l....l l....l
.....A

Mine was recently replaced due to a defect in the first one at just under 30K (something at the seam) and that's where the old one was and where the new one was too. If it gets more to the right like this

----
l....l
l....l ----
l....l l....l
l....l l....l
..........A

the tension is gone and you definitly need a new one. You don't want it all the way to the left either like this

----
l....l
l....l ----
l....l l....l
l....l l....l
A

too tight and you'll get squeeling when you start the car and it will go away once it warms up and the belt expands.

Hope that helps.
I do not think I have two bars on my tensioner, but I will double check - don't have the car with me now.

Are you talking about I4 or V6 engine? 7th gen? Mine is 2004 I4 coupe, if it makes any difference.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.