Condenser Replacement - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-27-2008, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
My First Post

Condenser Replacement

A friend of mine has a 2005 Accord EX 4 cyl. in need of a new condenser. I'm not exactly sure what happened with the existing one, but after reading some posts here it seems that the condensers are pretty easily damaged from road debris coming through the grille openings. He asked me to help him replace it; he's not much of a car guy, though, and domestic cars are really my forte. So, what all is involved in replacing the condenser on the Accord? Can it be removed without pulling the bumper? Are there any other parts that should be replaced along with the condenser (for example, when doing a compressor, you replace the orifice tube and accumulator also)? I did some searching around this forum; I found many posts talking about the condenser being damaged, but most had the dealer or a shop replace it. I just want to know what I'm up against. Many thanks in advance for any help provided!

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Pretty easy! Don't let it sit empty, fill it ASAP!!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 05 condenser.pdf (43.6 KB, 2341 views)
post #3 of 11 Old 09-13-2008, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for that really good info!!!

post #4 of 11 Old 10-20-2008, 11:52 AM
2nd Gear

anyone ever tell you? you're awesome princess!

p.s. how to tell if my compressor went out or if it is my condenser?
post #5 of 11 Old 10-21-2008, 06:27 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
If the unit has enough freon, then the compressor would kick on & off in cycles as needed. Run car at an idle with AC on full to hear the cycles.

If it doesn't kick on & off, then it's not working right.

A condenser, is like a radiator. It would leak if it was bad more than likely.

The fans should also cycle at an idle with the AC one full once the engine is up to normal operating temp.

What are the symptoms? Why do you suspect somethings not working?
post #6 of 11 Old 10-21-2008, 10:08 AM
2nd Gear

Well, I've just found out it is the compressor

My cold air doesn't work at all! I've turned it on, and it clicks on and off as needed, but the A/C will not blow cold air! heat works, but cool does not.

This is the Compressor right? Atleast that is what the mechanic told me.

p.s. is it ok if I get one from ebay? the dealer is charging WAY too much!

The mechanic told me $1500! My car is barely worth 5k!
post #7 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 AM
My First Post

Not necessarilly, the most common problem is the condensor. It is a heat exchanger, just like the radiator in fact it's mounted in front of the radiator and it looks like a second radiator. They often get hit by little rocks on the highway and then leak, Compressors usually don't fail

get another opinion
post #8 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 03:25 PM

Honda compressors fail often enough.

Ask anyone with a 2002 to 2007 CRV. These are the worst by far as they have catastrophic blow ups.

The only way to know is to have someone who knows what they are doing put gauges on it, watch and record pressures. Recover the refrigerant to see if it was low, if it was, find a leak, repair the leak and recharge to see if it works.

If there is no leak, and the pressures are off, it can be any number of things, from a bad cooling fan, restricted airflow across the condenser, bad hose, bad expansion valve or bad compressor. A bad compressor could be a broken reed valve, worn scroll, etc.

Or worse, someone has DIY'd it and added sealer, too much dye or oil or some kind of "blend" refrigerant into the system.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #9 of 11 Old 05-11-2016, 11:45 PM
My First Post

ddarlow

I need to replace the condenser on my 2004 Exec Accord Tourer, but I'm told there are two possible models, with different part numbers. I'm going to use an experienced mechanic to do the work, but he wants me to order in the correct part first. Since the condenser is buried in front of the radiator it's impossible to get a proper look at it. All I can see are the numbers stamped on top of it by the original Japanese manufacturer, but htese bear nor elation to the part numbers I am now being offered.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-14-2016, 09:23 AM
Reflections Auto Detail

There were 2 different engines available for that car, the 2.0 and the 2.2. I'm guessing that's why you're seeing 2 different condensers.

2003 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 3.0L V6 A/T
220,200 miles on original transmission!
Satin Silver
Full Nose Mask & Bra
SuperBrite Interior LED Kit
Eagle Alloys Chrome 192's
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 245/45/17 Tires

"You may want to invest in a torque wrench, since your torque by feel only consists of gorilla mode." - Drew03Accord

Eat, Sleep, Detail, Repeat.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Out of Control

Garage
Wherever you're buying them from, check their return policy. If it allows for return of unused parts, buy both and return the one that is not used.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.