No 7 yr. Timing Belt Replacement Requirement for 7.5 Gens? - Page 4 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #46 of 86 Old 03-26-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
Have any of you seen pictures, or even heard of a timing belt breaking on a J30 (or any J series engine)?
-- see post #7

-- timing belt changed at 95K miles so new belt snapped with only 45K miles on it

-- miles unknown, but "engine is destroyed"

-- car purchased used so owner not sure if TB was ever done... likely was never changed

-- original belt changed at 155k miles so new belt snapped with less than 45K miles on it

07AccordEx-L mentions 2 people on V6P who snapped their TB and had to get engines replaced

-- original belt changed at 115K so new belt snapped with only 17K miles on it

Let me know if you want more....

Advertisement

post #47 of 86 Old 03-27-2014, 01:19 AM
3rd Gear

Interestingly, I was reviewing my 06 Accord Hybrid owners manual. Under the service section for timing belt replacement it states that if the car is frequently driven in extreme heat or extreme cold, to replace it at 60k miles. Otherwise, it does NOT list a mileage to replace it at, and instead indicates to watch for a maintenance code to come up on the dash display, which will indicate the belt needs to be replaced.

Currently I am saving to replace the belt, I have over 162k on it with the original belt.

2006 Honda Accord Hybrid
3/19/2014 Installed Factory Navigation

2000 Ford F250 (wrecked & slowly repairing it)
2005 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe
1968 Pontiac Firebird (sold)
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle (sold)
1970 Pontiac Trans Am (sold)

Licensed Federal Firearms Dealer
post #48 of 86 Old 03-27-2014, 05:28 AM
03-SSM-AV6-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
-- see post #7

-- timing belt changed at 95K miles so new belt snapped with only 45K miles on it

-- car purchased used so owner not sure if TB was ever done... likely was never changed

-- original belt changed at 155k miles so new belt snapped with less than 45K miles on it

07AccordEx-L mentions 2 people on V6P who snapped their TB and had to get engines replaced

LOL, that must of taken some time.

Change the belt people, spend the money, use OEM parts, replace everything included. 7 years or 100k DO IT.

2003 Accord V6 6MT
OEM kit/spoiler/fogs. 35% tint. Custom 3.5inch CAI, 3.7 Intake mani and TB, coolant bypass, RV6 Jpipe, 2.5 custom cat back to 2.5 Magnaflows, TL ECU tuned on Hondata Flashpro, Ingals tq dampner, JDM DC5-R 6mt shift knob, TL-S rear sway bar, H&R sport with Koni adjustbl. Black housed hdlights, Akoi LED 9006 and H1 bulbs gloss blk roof. Enkei RPF1 17x8 wheels with Michelin Pilot Super sport 235/45/17 tires. 245whp 220wtq

2015 Honda Civic LX 5MT (daily)

post #49 of 86 Old 03-27-2014, 09:51 AM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msantimanzano View Post
Currently I am saving to replace the belt, I have over 162k on it with the original belt.
So has your MM thrown up a 4 at all? Somewhere around 105k maybe?

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50 of 86 Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 AM
6th Gear

Man I am glad I have a chain............................................. ...............
post #51 of 86 Old 03-27-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
-- see post #7

Yeah, I want more - - at least a clarification of what you're trying to say or demonstrate. As I read it all you are saying is: Timing belts can break and if they do they can cause some expensive damage. This isn't any surprising news and I'm sure anyone reading this thread understands that. Your list of horror stories looks real impressive. Real impressive - - but more than half of them don't hold up to scrutiny. And remember this thread is primarily about the point that Honda changed their service recommendation with the 7.5 gen. I know I've repeatedly stated that I'm not recommending that anyone not follow the official Honda service recommendations for their car. And I don't think anyone else has done it either. So let's take a look at some of your examples:

2006 Honda Pilot with 72,500 miles -- see post #7

An atypical occurrence. Do you suggest people replace their belt at 60,000 miles?

2005 Honda Pilot with 85,000 miles

The poster really doesn't know what happened. Here's what he says in post 20: "So here is the update - the shop didn't dig into the engine at all, they are just guessing timing belt. They know the cams are frozen and by my description TB is the prime suspect."

2004 Acura TL with 206K miles

Owner neglect. Way over the service recommendation. Is it surprising the belt broke?

2005 Acura TL with 103K miles

Another atypical occurrence. Sounds like replaced his own belt and muffed it. One of the gears got stuck? Here's what the op had to say: "No damage what so ever !
What happened is for some reason one of the gears got stuck, with the belt moving it tried to rip the belt. The belt was shreded. I purchased the FULL kit off a member on this site :
At the same time changed all the plugs, thermostat and fluids.
Car runs A+ !!!
103K on the car !
The original timing belt was not on the car."

2nd Gen Acura RL with 140K miles -- timing belt changed at 95K miles so new belt snapped with only 45K miles on it

Again atypical. Posted replaced his own belt and likely screwed something up. And if not - - should owners replace their belts at 40,000?

2nd gen Acura CL-S with 130K miles (210,000 km) -- car purchased used so owner not sure if TB was ever done... likely was never changed

Well over the recommended service recommendation.

2nd gen Acura TL with 199,533 miles -- original belt changed at 155k miles so new belt snapped with less than 45K miles on it

Shop that did his belt caused it. Here's what the op said: "Ok, I am at the dealership as we speak and the problem has been found.
IMPROPER INSTALLATION OF THE WATER PUMP.
The tech pulled everything apart and it was found that one of the hinge bolts holding on the water pump sheered off while driving due to over torque. The bolt was torqued so much that it left a mark on the opposite side of the water pump.
The water pump spun off after the bolt broke off and the rest is history."

1999 Acura TL with 150k miles

Well beyond the 105,000 recommendation.

1998 Accord V6 with 130K miles

His 2 year old belt broke. Again sounds like the shop that replaced it screwed up!

No information about what happened, how many years or miles.

2002 Accord V6 with 117K miles

Replacement belt failed after 5 months. Atypical - Shop likely screwed up.

2004 Accord V6 with 135K miles

His belt didn't break. He had a problem with his ring gear. Here's what he says: "After taking a closer look at my no start problem, I pulled the starter and the ring gear teeth on part of the flywheel are missing. Other teeth look partially ground off while the rest are just fine.
Its an automatic so I called my local honda dealer and got a price for a new ring gear and was told it cost $669.00 and 3 days to get.
I've been surfing the web to find an aftermarket part and am having no luck.
I will be replacing the timing belt while I've got it apart so I don't have to worry about bent valves.
Any suggestions for finding an aftermarket ring gear & timing belt w/components?"

2006 Honda Odyssey with 132K miles -- original belt changed at 115K so new belt snapped with only 17K miles on it

Mechanic that installed replacement belt screwed up. Here's what the poster said: "2006 Honda Odyssey with 132K miles -- original belt changed at 115K so new belt snapped with only 17K miles on it"

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #52 of 86 Old 03-27-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypsibird View Post
Yeah, I want more - - at least a clarification of what you're trying to say or demonstrate.
I wasn't trying to say or demonstrate anything to you. It was merely a response to BLCKFLSH who may not have ever "heard of a timing belt breaking on a J30 (or any J series engine)." That's all. Nothing more.

How you are seeing it as more than that is beyond me.
post #53 of 86 Old 03-27-2014, 02:30 PM
03-SSM-AV6-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszappa1 View Post
Man I am glad I have a chain............................................. ...............
Until it stretches if you let it get low on oil, or if you let the oil get too dirty and destroy the guides.

The lesson here is keep up on maintenance chain/belt. Do the services. The belt on the 7.5 is the same as the belt on the 7 (14400-RCA-A01). Just change it when it's at the time or mileage.

2003 Accord V6 6MT
OEM kit/spoiler/fogs. 35% tint. Custom 3.5inch CAI, 3.7 Intake mani and TB, coolant bypass, RV6 Jpipe, 2.5 custom cat back to 2.5 Magnaflows, TL ECU tuned on Hondata Flashpro, Ingals tq dampner, JDM DC5-R 6mt shift knob, TL-S rear sway bar, H&R sport with Koni adjustbl. Black housed hdlights, Akoi LED 9006 and H1 bulbs gloss blk roof. Enkei RPF1 17x8 wheels with Michelin Pilot Super sport 235/45/17 tires. 245whp 220wtq

2015 Honda Civic LX 5MT (daily)
post #54 of 86 Old 03-27-2014, 02:31 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Yes, namegoeshere it seems most of these cars were done in by something other than the timing belt, or the owner or some idiot mechanic did something to screw it up. Just because a link comes up on a search for "timing belt snap" doesn't mean it's legit. But thanks for the effort. It's obvious to me that timing belts don't often snap on these engines. I think the 100k mile interval is a lot more important than the 7 year interval (of course this depends on what type of climate you drive the car in). I changed my timing belt at 8 1/2 years the first time, and I may wait a little longer on the next round (if I still have the car by then), mostly because I haven't been adding up the miles lately. Thanks again, for the time and effort.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 14,000 miles so far
post #55 of 86 Old 03-27-2014, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
I wasn't trying to say or demonstrate anything to you. It was merely a response to BLCKFLSH who may not have ever "heard of a timing belt breaking on a J30 (or any J series engine)." That's all. Nothing more.

How you are seeing it as more than that is beyond me.
Got it. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I meant no offense to you - I was puzzled as to to point of some of them, but I understand now. And much like BLKFLSH I also hadn't seem much regarding belt failures either. Some of the ones you pointed out were disturbing. But nothing's perfect and some hopefully small % will still fail when their not supposed to.

post #56 of 86 Old 03-27-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisQ80 View Post
The lesson here is keep up on maintenance chain/belt. Do the services. The belt on the 7.5 is the same as the belt on the 7 (14400-RCA-A01). Just change it when it's at the time or mileage.
But since there is no longer any time or mileage recommendation for the 7.5 (only service code 4) what you're saying isn't what Honda recommends. It might turn out to be a good practice, but I don't think anyone really knows that with any certainly at this point. I guess it's a judgement call and everyone has their own opinion.

post #57 of 86 Old 03-27-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
Yes, namegoeshere it seems most of these cars were done in by something other than the timing belt, or the owner or some idiot mechanic did something to screw it up. Just because a link comes up on a search for "timing belt snap" doesn't mean it's legit.
You were asking if anyone has "even heard of a timing belt breaking on a J30 (or any J series engine)" and I was just providing links to such cases.

Yes, about 4 cases were from bad installs. But the others were not. Yes, some happened past the recommended 105K mile period. But some did not. Yes, some happened past the previous 7 year recommendation period. But some did not.

Bottom line is.... the longer you wait, the greater the risk of the timing belt snapping.
post #58 of 86 Old 03-27-2014, 03:07 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Quote:
Bottom line is.... the longer you wait, the greater the risk of the timing belt snapping.

03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
post #59 of 86 Old 03-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:

And wait for what? To save $650 (and that's with the condiments and water pump) every 7th year or 105k miles. That's less than $100 per year to those that may have to budget for the MAINTENANCE. I'm sure a lot of us can save all of our coins throughout the year and feed the Golden Goat to come up with $650 in 7 yrs. Hell, some can also skip those fancy-schmancy Startbutt's Lattes on Monday mornings by drinking a McD's coffee instead and save that kind of cash in no time.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #60 of 86 Old 03-27-2014, 03:34 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Considering it cost me about $300 worth of parts, and my own time, I'm not at all concerned with the cost of timing belt replacement. I say I might wait longer to change the belt next time, but knowing me I'll buy the parts before it gets to 7 years, then change it within the next year. It's going to be a lot more fun next time, because now I know I can successfully complete the job.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.