First time battery replacement - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-04-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

First time battery replacement

I own a 2007 Accord EXL Navi 4 cyl. I am a newbie at DIY stuff. So my Honda dealer quoted a $140 + Tax on changing the battery. I declined and bought battery at Costco and decided to change it on my own. While changing it, I found out that the Costco battery is bigger in size than the original one. So the tray and the cover would not fit. So I installed the battery without the tray and the cover. Will this be an issue? Secondly, are the tray and cover available somewhere for the Costco size battery? I would like to put them back in if I get an appropriate size for it.

Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-04-2014, 07:58 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Maybe they gave you the battery for the V6 model. Is it group size 35? If so you could get the battery box and cover for the V6 model from either an online dealership or maybe boneyard.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #3 of 10 Old 03-04-2014, 08:00 PM
4th Gear

I would go with what Blckflsh said. The tray and cover not fitting is the giveaway. Consider it a bonus or win.

2005 SSM Sedan LX ;Matte Black Grille with black Emblem ;15% Tint all around ;12" Kenwood Subwoofer
Plasti Dip Black Badges ;Plasti Dip Hubcaps ;White LED Lights all around ;120 LED SMD switchback with Relay mod ;Custom 2.5" Cat Back Exhaust ;Fujita Cold Air Intake ;TSX Intake Manifold ;P2R Gaskets ;178,000+ Miles; Weathertech Digital Fit Liners

post #4 of 10 Old 03-04-2014, 08:05 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
Maybe they gave you the battery for the V6 model. Is it group size 35? If so you could get the battery box and cover for the V6 model from either an online dealership or maybe boneyard.
1) Yeah, what is the battery "group size" (on your receipt)?

2) No, no worries if you don't use the plastic cover or the plastic tray- they are purely cosmetic. Good and quick thinking on your part, by the way.

Welcome to Drive Accord.

Here is a list of batteries by their "group size"- basically, a way for manufacturers to standardize sizes. The group 35 battery (the battery for the Accords with a V6 engine) is deeper than the group 51R battery (the battery for 4 cylinder Accords). Heck, they may have sold you a 24F group size battery. That be big, but it will fit without the plastic stuff.

You are not limited to any battery group size. As long as it fits, and is a "12 volt", then you are good to go!

Battery sizes:
post #5 of 10 Old 03-04-2014, 08:05 PM
mobiless2

Cover is not needed, just there for aesthetic purposes only. If you did get the group 35 or 24 battery, you should upgrade the tiny ground cable that comes with the 4 cyl cars.

Welcome to DA!

2009 ASM EX I-4 Auto 4DR: Weapon-R I Throttle/TL FSB RSB/Morimoto H1/Fogs/K40/Viper 5704/exLED 146K

2015 HM SPORT I-4 CVT 4DR: TL RSB, exLED, OEM Tweeters-LED Mirrors-LED Tail Lights, Coutesy Lights, Ambient Light Kit, 4G TL Retrofit w/TSX-R Lens, RV6 PCD, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 36K

2016 ABP Civic EX-T CVT 4DR
exLED
The Following User Says Thank You to mobiless2 For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (03-04-2014)
post #6 of 10 Old 03-04-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for all the quick and helpful replies. I looked up my receipt and it does say it is a group 35 battery. I just called up Costco and they did confirm that I have got a V6 model battery. So now, should I just keep this one or rather remove it and get it exchanged for the right size battery?
post #7 of 10 Old 03-04-2014, 08:46 PM
mobiless2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMyAccord View Post
Thanks for all the quick and helpful replies. I looked up my receipt and it does say it is a group 35 battery. I just called up Costco and they did confirm that I have got a V6 model battery. So now, should I just keep this one or rather remove it and get it exchanged for the right size battery?
Keep the Larger Battery. Especially if you live in a cold environment. The larger battery has way more cold cranking amp & more reserve. If you ever sit in your car listening to radio more than 20-30 minutes, the original battery might not have enough juice to start your car.

I upgraded both my Accords to larger battery, many people here have upgraded to larger battery.

2009 ASM EX I-4 Auto 4DR: Weapon-R I Throttle/TL FSB RSB/Morimoto H1/Fogs/K40/Viper 5704/exLED 146K

2015 HM SPORT I-4 CVT 4DR: TL RSB, exLED, OEM Tweeters-LED Mirrors-LED Tail Lights, Coutesy Lights, Ambient Light Kit, 4G TL Retrofit w/TSX-R Lens, RV6 PCD, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 36K

2016 ABP Civic EX-T CVT 4DR
exLED
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mobiless2 For This Useful Post:
IHeartMyAccord (03-04-2014), tbskirk (03-29-2014)
post #8 of 10 Old 03-04-2014, 08:51 PM
khol

I literally just bought one of these batteries today for $80.93. The one you want is the Kirkland 12881. They are made by the same manufacturer of Interstate Batteries which is what I had previously plus they have a great warranty 3 years free replacement and 100 month overall.

My Interstate Battery was 2 1/2 years old and was covered under the prorated warranty. Interstate wanted $85 just for a new battery not including tax or other fees. Online the battery retails for $100.

2007 Honda Accord SE
post #9 of 10 Old 03-04-2014, 09:01 PM
2006 I4 MT

Keep the battery. A lot of us did the upgrade. I have a V6 group 35 Costco battery in my 4 cyl.

Did the V6 battery upgrade to my I4: wow!

2006 Accord LX Coupe I4 MT
post #10 of 10 Old 03-04-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006accord4 View Post
Keep the battery. A lot of us did the upgrade. I have a V6 group 35 Costco battery in my 4 cyl.

Did the V6 battery upgrade to my I4: wow!
Thanks all. I will take the advise of the wise people here :-) and will keep the larger battery. Will try to find the thicker negative cable. This forum rocks!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.