How to adjust clutch pedal engagement point? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

How to adjust clutch pedal engagement point?

Hi, newbie here...

Does anyone know how to adjust the clutch so it engages earlier so there is more free play?

Im not sure if its normal but the clutch engages after about 50-60% released...I know its a self adjusting clutch but its so hard to feel for it when there's so little free play and also accord's sensitive gas pedal throttle...

A new clutch should engage after you release it like 20-25% right?
so if clutch can be depressed 4 inches it should start to bite after you release 1 inch?

I googled that hydraulic self adjusting clutches dont need adjusting but I also read somewhere you can adjust the slave cylinder pushrod or something and can change the engagement point?

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 07:02 AM
6th Gear

There isn't a whole lot you can do to adjust your clutch. Your engagement point is going to be pretty much be whatever it is. You should be able to look at your clutch pedal and see where you adjust it. The following from the service manual provides the specifications for what can be adjusted. Good luck.

Loosen the clutch pushrod locknut, and turn the
pushrod in or out to get the specified height,
stroke, free play, and disengagement height
at the clutch pedal.

Clutch Pedal Stroke: 130-140 mm (5.12-5.51 in.)
Clutch Pedal Free Play: 10-18 mm (0.39-0.71 in.)
Clutch Pedal Height: 191 mm (7.52 in.)
Clutch Pedal Disengagement Height:95 mm (3.74 in.)

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
The Following User Says Thank You to ypsibird For This Useful Post:
Mr. White (01-18-2014)
post #3 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 01:53 PM
White on Black AV6-6

A "sensitive throttle" is testament to a responsive, happy revving engine which Honda is known for. What you described sounds ideal, quick disengagement up high and a consistent engagement point low on the return. That means your clutch is healthy I would just try and learn how to drive your accord smoother through practice and time. Every car is different and every clutch pedal needs to be modulated differently.

What year is your car? 4 or 6-cylinder? How many miles?

2005 Accord Coupe Ex-L V6 6speed
Proud Of:Clutchmasters fx350 Clutch, Lightweight Alum. Flywheel
RV6-Performance V3 J-Pipe & Headers (PCD's), VTEC yo!

post #4 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
A "sensitive throttle" is testament to a responsive, happy revving engine which Honda is known for. What you described sounds ideal, quick disengagement up high and a consistent engagement point low on the return. That means your clutch is healthy I would just try and learn how to drive your accord smoother through practice and time. Every car is different and every clutch pedal needs to be modulated differently.

What year is your car? 4 or 6-cylinder? How many miles?
Hi, 4 cylinder, 200k kms or 125k miles

"consistent engagement point low on the return"

The engagement point on the return isn't very low, it engages after i release more than 1/2 the distance the clutch can be depressed, is this normal?
post #5 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 02:46 PM
White on Black AV6-6

Yes, this is "normal." When my stock clutch was on its last legs it was near the top of travel on the return where it started to engage. As the Clutch wore, the engagement point traveled further and further up until it had no "noticeable" engagement point.

My new clutch started to engage about an inch off the floor. PAIN IN THE NECK! And now it's about 1/3rd to 1/2 of the way off the floor to the top of travel.

Firm, noticeable operation is a good thing, indicating minimal wear.
Spongy, muted, soft operation is bad. This usually means worn out components. It's more important HOW engagement feels rather than where it happens. It's not the most precise answer but having a strong engagement is the important factor. Pedal play sounds fine from what you described. Especially in regards to a 7/7.5 Gen Accord.

2005 Accord Coupe Ex-L V6 6speed
Proud Of:Clutchmasters fx350 Clutch, Lightweight Alum. Flywheel
RV6-Performance V3 J-Pipe & Headers (PCD's), VTEC yo!
post #6 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Yes, this is "normal." When my stock clutch was on its last legs it was near the top of travel on the return where it started to engage. As the Clutch wore, the engagement point traveled further and further up until it had no "noticeable" engagement point.

My new clutch started to engage about an inch off the floor. PAIN IN THE NECK! And now it's about 1/3rd to 1/2 of the way off the floor to the top of travel.

Firm, noticeable operation is a good thing, indicating minimal wear.
Spongy, muted, soft operation is bad. This usually means worn out components. It's more important HOW engagement feels rather than where it happens. It's not the most precise answer but having a strong engagement is the important factor. Pedal play sounds fine from what you described. Especially in regards to a 7/7.5 Gen Accord.
Ic...Im sorta a newbie manual driver but it kinda felt like too much variation when trying to "find" the catch point everytime when starting from a red light...

I know learning to drive better and learning to feather the pedals is important but would it be possible maybe to decrease the pedal travel by an inch so the bottom out of the clutch is 1 inch higher?

The clutch does catch fairly firmly and smoothly so its just a matter of wear and tear it seems due to 125k miles on it...

Where can i find the service manual to adjust:
"Clutch Pedal Stroke: 130-140 mm (5.12-5.51 in.)
Clutch Pedal Free Play: 10-18 mm (0.39-0.71 in.)
Clutch Pedal Height: 191 mm (7.52 in.)
Clutch Pedal Disengagement Height:95 mm (3.74 in.)"
?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-19-2014, 03:06 PM
6th Gear

It took me a while to get used to mine. I would just get used it and you should be ok.

03 Accord LX I4 5spd, 265k miles.
with 19 HFP Wheels and Eibach pro spring kit (second set as the first set of rear springs rusted apart).
Previous car: 98 Civic EX 5sp. with 155K, RIP
post #8 of 9 Old 01-20-2014, 04:09 AM
6th Gear

I don't think I could every really say..........

.......the factory clutch in the Gen7 6-6 has a strong engagement point.

I'd sure like that.

Enter the Slave Cylinder Check Valve.

Otherwise, a (MHO) fuel efficient, dependable machine.

ez

2005 Accord EX V-6 Coupe 6M
Taff. White;cargo net;7-24-05

'13 VW JETTA SPTWGN TDI 6M
Build date:03/12/2013 NO NAV
ZERO SUNROOF:CANDY WHITE

1982 VW Rab. Diesel Pickup 5M
Mojave Beige/ac/bedliner/alloys
(sold to restoration outfit)
post #9 of 9 Old 01-20-2014, 01:58 PM
06' 6-6 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezshift5 View Post
.......the factory clutch in the Gen7 6-6 has a strong engagement point.

I'd sure like that.

Enter the Slave Cylinder Check Valve.

Otherwise, a (MHO) fuel efficient, dependable machine.

ez
Indeed

2012 EX-L V6 6MT Coupe Crystal Black Pearl / Black
2006 EX V6 6MT Sedan Carbon Bronze Pearl / Ivory (sold)
2005 EX I-4 5AT Sedan Redondo Red Pearl / Black
1996 Harley-Davidson FXD
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.