SRS light problems...continued... - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-04-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

SRS light problems...continued...

Been trying to fix a SRS light that's been coming on intermittently for a few months now.

1) Went to dealer, they said it was faulty driver's side buckle, replaced it under warranty. Seemed to fix the problem at first, but shortly after, I realized that the SRS light still came on while driving (but never stayed on right after starting the car). It took me a while to notice because the light would usually come on 10-20 minutes into a drive.

2) Went to dealer again, this time they said it was a faulty seat belt assembly and replaced the driver's side seatbelt and tensioner. SRS light is still coming on after this fix, in exactly the same way as before (only comes on after some driving).

At this point I'm kind of at a loss as to what's wrong. The dealer has done diagnostics on the SRS light twice and basically replaced the entire driver's side seatbelt assembly. What else could be causing the SRS light to come on while driving, even though I'm still buckled in?

I've done a lot of searching and read many forum threads related to the SRS light, but it seems like most of the issues people have involve the light coming on and staying on after starting the car. In my case, the light never stays on after starting the car, and only comes on during a drive.

FYI, the car has never been in any kind of accident.

This is the light that is coming on:

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-04-2014, 08:49 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Click on these two links. It shows how to get the SRS codes, and reset the light. I would reset the light, then check the codes if it comes back on. The first link is for resetting the light, and the second is for reading the codes. Good luck

PS: The yellow plug for resetting the airbag light on my Accord was a two wire yellow plug, plugged into the underdash fuse box. You have to remove the driver's side kick panel to get to it near the top of the fuse box.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #3 of 17 Old 01-05-2014, 07:18 AM
4th Gear

My coupe and sedan both do this. If I buckle up before I start the car, the light stays off. If I have the engine running and 1) don't buckle up, 2) buckle up, but unbuckle for something like to run back inside...and rebuckle up when I get back...the light will come on and stay on indefinitely until I kill the engine.

One of the nearby dealers said that they'd have to charge their huge labor rate to dig around and MAYBE find the problem. The other one told me that "the airbag light is on because your seat belt is unbuckled and the system turned off, but the SRS light will turn off when you fasten your seatbelt again." They didn't have a response when I told them I once started my car, ran inside because I forgot something, came out to a lit SRS light, buckled up, and drove for two hours with it on.

It's an ongoing battle

-2014 Accord Sport CVT - Obsidian Blue Pearl - (mine)
-2006 Acura MDX Touring (his)

Mods:
-15% Window Tint
-8" Subwoofer w/ANC Delete & Rear Deck Sound Deadening
-Sport Horn Upgrade
-LED Interior & Exterior Lights
-Auto On/Off Map Lights Mod
-Plasti-dipped Grill Interior
-Secondary Armrest Storage
-OEM Illuminated Door Sills
-OEM All Weather Floormats & Trunk Tray
-OEM Splash Guards

post #4 of 17 Old 01-05-2014, 07:28 AM
BRWNFLSH now

I would reset the light, then if the light comes on again, check for codes. If the codes are for seat belt parts, they should be covered under the lifetime warranty. I reset my light, and it seems to be staying off, for a couple months now. I had codes for seat belt retractor and SRS unit internal. I cleaned the seat belt, so it would retract better, reset the light, and it's been off since.

03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
post #5 of 17 Old 01-05-2014, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhallsoffice View Post
My coupe and sedan both do this. If I buckle up before I start the car, the light stays off. If I have the engine running and 1) don't buckle up, 2) buckle up, but unbuckle for something like to run back inside...and rebuckle up when I get back...the light will come on and stay on indefinitely until I kill the engine.

One of the nearby dealers said that they'd have to charge their huge labor rate to dig around and MAYBE find the problem. The other one told me that "the airbag light is on because your seat belt is unbuckled and the system turned off, but the SRS light will turn off when you fasten your seatbelt again." They didn't have a response when I told them I once started my car, ran inside because I forgot something, came out to a lit SRS light, buckled up, and drove for two hours with it on.

It's an ongoing battle
This used to be my issue before I got the buckle replaced. After I got the buckle replaced, the light would never come on after starting the car, regardless of whether I buckled in before or after starting. It also doesn't come on after i unbuckle and re-buckle the seat belt. Instead, it'll just randomly come on during a drive (while I'm still buckled in) and stays on for the rest of the drive. Once I kill the engine and re-start it, the light stays off again until some time into the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
I would reset the light, then if the light comes on again, check for codes. If the codes are for seat belt parts, they should be covered under the lifetime warranty. I reset my light, and it seems to be staying off, for a couple months now. I had codes for seat belt retractor and SRS unit internal. I cleaned the seat belt, so it would retract better, reset the light, and it's been off since.
Thanks for the tip. Wouldn't resetting the light be something that the dealer did after replacing the buckle and tensioner for me? The light doesn't stay on immediately after starting the car, so I'm not sure if the issue has to do with resetting the light.

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
post #6 of 17 Old 01-05-2014, 12:57 PM
BRWNFLSH now

If the light has been re-set lately, just try to get the SRS codes. The link posted above will show you how. I know a lot of people don't want to mess around with SRS connections, or short the DLC, so it's up to you if you want to do this yourself or not. The dealership had re-set my light too, when they replaced the buckle for me, then it came back on. I then re-set the light myself, and it has stayed off. I had codes for seat belt retractor and an SRS unit internal error.

post #7 of 17 Old 01-05-2014, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
If the light has been re-set lately, just try to get the SRS codes. The link posted above will show you how. I know a lot of people don't want to mess around with SRS connections, or short the DLC, so it's up to you if you want to do this yourself or not. The dealership had re-set my light too, when they replaced the buckle for me, then it came back on. I then re-set the light myself, and it has stayed off. I had codes for seat belt retractor and an SRS unit internal error.
When I short the connectors to read the code, it comes back with 6-1, which is "Internal failure of SRS unit."

However, this is the very same code that I've seen even before the belt buckle or tensioner were replaced. When I took my car to the Honda dealership, they apparently did not get this code on the 2 times that I went, because otherwise they wouldn't have replaced the buckle and tensioner. So I'm a little doubtful as to the accuracy of retrieving codes this way.

When your light came back on after the dealer reset it, was it staying on all the time, or only coming on during a drive? I've searched a lot of places but so far I haven't found anyone else with my symptoms (that is, the light comes on while driving and not the usual staying on after starting the car).

Even more frustrating is that my SRS light will sometimes not come on at all during a drive. I can't seem to find a pattern in what causes the light to come on during a drive.

Quote:
Click on these two links. It shows how to get the SRS codes, and reset the light. I would reset the light, then check the codes if it comes back on. The first link is for resetting the light, and the second is for reading the codes. Good luck

PS: The yellow plug for resetting the airbag light on my Accord was a two wire yellow plug, plugged into the underdash fuse box. You have to remove the driver's side kick panel to get to it near the top of the fuse box.

I read through the guide for resetting the SRS light and I'll give it a shot once it stops raining outside. That guide seems to be tailored to people who have a SRS light that stays on after starting the car, though, which isn't the symptom that I'm seeing in my Accord.

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
post #8 of 17 Old 01-05-2014, 01:42 PM
BRWNFLSH now

My airbag light would come on, then go off, as normal, then would come right back on. When I checked for the codes, I also got an internal failure code. I reset the light myself, after reading the codes, fully expecting it to come back on, but it's been off since. It operates as it should now, as it comes on for a second when I turn the key on, then goes off as it should. I even cleaned my seatbelt, fully expecting another trip to the dealership, not wanting them to not warranty the seatbelt, because it was dirty. I have a clean seatbelt now, and no light, so things couldn't be better. If you reset the light yourself, and it still comes back on, get the dealership to check it out.

post #9 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 04:24 AM
1st Gear

SRS light issues

Hi there...New guy here and decided to register...On my 03 Acc v6 6 I also had the airbag light on after I got the car...I did some researching in the matter of codes and reset the airbag light, but always it always came back on after the reset. I don t remember exactly the code (done it over 6 months ago and was a code not really with a definition on the colde list). One interesting thing is that myside airbag light was not coming ON when I was starting the car, so I was pretty much that maybe was the OPDS sensor in the passenger seat. To make a long story short, what I did was to disconect the electrical connectors under the seat and push them together as far it would go...This simple and lucky procedure was enough to turn my light off permanently. I would only imagine the fact that there was a poor connection in the system, but in my case it really work without any expenses...So if your yellow side airbag light does NOT come on your dash when you start your car you may be lucky enough to have the same issue. I forgot to mention that the little red airbag light came on on my care before fixing it, even the problem does appear to be in OPDS system. So...good luck fixing your red annoing airbag light.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
My airbag light would come on, then go off, as normal, then would come right back on. When I checked for the codes, I also got an internal failure code. I reset the light myself, after reading the codes, fully expecting it to come back on, but it's been off since. It operates as it should now, as it comes on for a second when I turn the key on, then goes off as it should. I even cleaned my seatbelt, fully expecting another trip to the dealership, not wanting them to not warranty the seatbelt, because it was dirty. I have a clean seatbelt now, and no light, so things couldn't be better. If you reset the light yourself, and it still comes back on, get the dealership to check it out.
UPDATE: I followed the procedure you linked for resetting the SRS light, and saw the 2 blinks at the end indicating that the memory was erased. However, I took it out on a drive afterwards and the red SRS light came on again about 20 minutes into the drive

Any other ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buratino1117 View Post
Hi there...New guy here and decided to register...On my 03 Acc v6 6 I also had the airbag light on after I got the car...I did some researching in the matter of codes and reset the airbag light, but always it always came back on after the reset. I don t remember exactly the code (done it over 6 months ago and was a code not really with a definition on the colde list). One interesting thing is that myside airbag light was not coming ON when I was starting the car, so I was pretty much that maybe was the OPDS sensor in the passenger seat. To make a long story short, what I did was to disconect the electrical connectors under the seat and push them together as far it would go...This simple and lucky procedure was enough to turn my light off permanently. I would only imagine the fact that there was a poor connection in the system, but in my case it really work without any expenses...So if your yellow side airbag light does NOT come on your dash when you start your car you may be lucky enough to have the same issue. I forgot to mention that the little red airbag light came on on my care before fixing it, even the problem does appear to be in OPDS system. So...good luck fixing your red annoing airbag light.
Thanks! Sent you a PM

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
post #11 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Another update:

Talked to the dealer, and they told me that when they've pulled the codes, the only codes they've come up with so far are seat belt-related codes. So it's a bit strange that the light is still on after the seat belt buckle/tensioner have already been replaced.

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
post #12 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 02:19 PM
BRWNFLSH now

All I can say at this point is check the codes yourself. Or take it back to the dealership and get them to check again. If the light is on, there has to be some codes. Maybe the wires have bad connections. There have been a lot of passenger side weight sensor problems, along with buckles. I hope you don't have an SRS unit problem, because they cost a few bucks.

post #13 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
All I can say at this point is check the codes yourself. Or take it back to the dealership and get them to check again. If the light is on, there has to be some codes. Maybe the wires have bad connections. There have been a lot of passenger side weight sensor problems, along with buckles. I hope you don't have an SRS unit problem, because they cost a few bucks.
Yeah, I'm hoping it's just a wiring problem, because SRS computers and other airbag components are $$$$$. I'm taking it to the dealer later this week to diagnose a possible wiring fault. They're charging around $130 since they need to check the circuitry and not just pull a code, but at this point I don't see any way for me to figure out the problem myself so going to the dealer is probably the best bet.

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
post #14 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 02:46 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Good luck. Hope they don't hurt your wallet too much. I keep watching my SRS light thinking it's going to stay on. It's always the last light to go out, when I start the car, but it always goes out. (knock on wood)

post #15 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Good luck. Hope they don't hurt your wallet too much. I keep watching my SRS light thinking it's going to stay on. It's always the last light to go out, when I start the car, but it always goes out. (knock on wood)
Thanks. I'll report back and see what they are able to find and fix.

With regard to the SRS light, mine always goes out along with all of the other warning lights, but then inevitably it comes back on at some random point during a drive

2003 EX-L I4 5AT Sedan
2007 LX I4 5AT Sedan
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.