2007 Accord P0420 AGAIN - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

2007 Accord P0420 AGAIN

Hey Guys,

So last February I had the Check Engine light come on my 2007 2.4 4 cylinder Accord. This code was P0420 and after reading online I thought I would replace the cat and the o2 sensor that plugs into the cat. The car had 65k on it at that point. I reset the code and drove the car for about 10,000-15,000 miles no problems. Now the car is flashing the same exact code less than ONE year after replacing these parts!!

Does anyone have any suggestions as how to proceed? I noticed in our cars we have a mesh flex pipe that is a part of the downpipe prior to the Catalytic converter. Do you think that if this mesh is loose or deteriorating that would cause this code to flash? The last thing I want to do is spend another $200 on a catalytic converter.

FYI I replaced the OEM cat with a MagnaFlow and it is NOT a California car.

Thanks guys!

Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 09:50 AM
5th Gear

Did the same thing on my 99 Civic: replaced the cat with a Magnaflow high-flow cat, then about a year later, got a cell....

Aftermarket catalytic converters are really not as good as OEMs!

What you need now is a O2 sensor spacer to get rid of the cell...or change to an OEM cat.

Car: Honda Accord coupe 2005 V6 6-speed saphire blue
post #3 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I cannot believe the MagnaFlow cat would fail so quickly!! Where can you purchase an OEM cat for under a thousand bucks LOL.

Has anyone tried this O2 sensor spacer with luck?

post #4 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBP07 View Post
I cannot believe the MagnaFlow cat would fail so quickly!! Where can you purchase an OEM cat for under a thousand bucks LOL.

Maybe not a lot of Accord guys but tons of Civic Si or other tuner car sites have a wealth of information on this...Basically the spacer gives the O2 sensor false readings by changing its position within the exhaust manifold/pipe. The only thing you want to look for is someone who has run a Dyno w/ Air/Fuel ratio to make sure the spacer doesn't cause the AFR's to go out of whack...some of the Si guys ran into problems with using cheap O2 cheaters...

Mike

2006 Accord EX-L K24 5MT ASM -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan Flat Roof 3MT -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Wife's
2008 Hyundai Sonata SE V6
2012 Tacoma TRD Sport CCSB 1GR 6MT 4WD MGM
2011 Civic Si K20 6MT CBP
2001 Pathfinder SE VQ35 5MT SB
2006 Excursion Limited V10 4WD 4AT
1997 Pathfinder SE VG33 5AT
1999 ML320 5AT
1996 Accord LX F22 4AT
post #5 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

I have done the defouler trick on my factory cat. I use to get the PO420 code every time I drove the car. Then I bought the spark plug defouler from AutoZone for 6 bucks and have not gotten the code since. I will get an PO139 (o2 sensor slow response) about every 4-6 months but that's it.

I also have an 2007 Accord 2.4L
post #6 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 01:39 PM
5th Gear

Never put an O2 sensor spacer on a PRE-cat sensor...In this case, the computer would not be able to know if the air/fuel mixture is correct or not.

No problem to do so on a POST-cat sensor. The only thing it does is to back the sensor from the exhaust flow. Then, the computer thinks the cat does a great job removing some pollutants from the exhaust fumes, and not throwing a cell (in fact, the sensor is just not in the flow of exhaust fumes).

Aftermarket cats will not filter as well as OEM cats. Your Magnaflow had not fail: when new, it would filter as good as OEM, but within a couple months, would not do so anymore. At least, not enough as an OEM, so the computer thinks the cat is bad...

My 99 Civic is like that since 2008, never had a problem...

You can also buy an OEM cat online for less than 1k$. Check on ... You can also buy cheap Denso O2 sensor from rock auto on the web.

**Sorry for my poor English...English is not my primary language

post #7 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 01:44 PM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzal View Post
Never put an O2 sensor spacer on a PRE-cat sensor...In this case, the computer would not be able to know if the air/fuel mixture is correct or not.

No problem to do so on a POST-cat sensor. The only thing it does is to back the sensor from the exhaust flow. Then, the computer thinks the cat does a great job removing some pollutants from the exhaust fumes, and not throwing a cell (in fact, the sensor is just not in the flow of exhaust fumes).

Aftermarket cats will not filter as well as OEM cats. Your Magnaflow had not fail: when new, it would filter as good as OEM, but within a couple months, would not do so anymore. At least, not enough as an OEM, so the computer thinks the cat is bad...

My 99 Civic is like that since 2008, never had a problem...

You can also buy an OEM cat online for less than 1k$. Check on ... You can also buy cheap Denso O2 sensor from rock auto on the web.

**Sorry for my poor English...English is not my primary language
: Your English is very good! Nothing to be sorry about. I wish I wrote that well in another language.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-14-2013, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Exhaust downpipe

In our cars, there is a downpipe/header which connects to a flex pip that consists of mesh. This part has a sensor plugged which gets plugged into it. I believe that is the primary 02 sensor (pre cat). The mesh flex portion of this pipe seems to be eroding or...wearing away perhaps. Does anyone know if this mesh flex pipe has an inner pipe that connects? Or; if this pipe was leaking air, could THAT cause a P0420 as air is leaking into the exhaust system and thus causing a bad secondary 02 reading?
post #9 of 17 Old 12-15-2013, 07:06 AM
5th Gear

On the V6, there is a pipe underneath the mesh. The mesh is only there for protection... (on my exhaust, the mesh is pretty all gone, waiting for the pipe to be shot before changing that part)

post #10 of 17 Old 12-15-2013, 09:05 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
In our cars, there is a downpipe/header which connects to a flex pip that consists of mesh. This part has a sensor plugged which gets plugged into it. I believe that is the primary 02 sensor (pre cat). The mesh flex portion of this pipe seems to be eroding or...wearing away perhaps. Does anyone know if this mesh flex pipe has an inner pipe that connects? Or; if this pipe was leaking air, could THAT cause a P0420 as air is leaking into the exhaust system and thus causing a bad secondary 02 reading?
I am pretty sure that mesh can leak on the 4 cylinder. And if it were to leak it could cause that code. The P0420 code can be caused by many different things. I have had this code come and go for a while now and I do suspect I might have a small exhaust leak, or my cat is bad. The winter time is the perfect time to check for a leak. This is what I plan to do soon. Wait til its nice and cold outside, put the front end on ramps or jacks stands and leave the engine running. Then get underneath and inspect for leaks, they should be plainly visible.

2006 EX Navi V6-6 Sedan
post #11 of 17 Old 12-15-2013, 09:04 PM
My First Post

I have a 2006 Honda accord se with 146000 miles. my check engine light came on about 120000 with the p0420. I took it to the dealer cause I looked online and p0420 means bad catalytic conveter. our 7th gen accord 4 cylinder has a pzev engine and our warranty for our emission is 15yrs/150000 miles. take it to the dealer ASAP if your under the warranty they will replace it for free. this warranty will save you $900 + labor for the oem catalytic converter.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-16-2013, 07:44 AM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by x_treme339 View Post
I have a 2006 Honda accord se with 146000 miles. my check engine light came on about 120000 with the p0420. I took it to the dealer cause I looked online and p0420 means bad catalytic conveter. our 7th gen accord 4 cylinder has a pzev engine and our warranty for our emission is 15yrs/150000 miles. take it to the dealer ASAP if your under the warranty they will replace it for free. this warranty will save you $900 + labor for the oem catalytic converter.
Welcome to Drive Accord...

That FREE work for PZEV vehicles is ONLY if your PZEV car is registered in one of the 8 states that have "California" emissions. I have a PZEV vehicle, but my car is registered in Illinois, so my catalytic converter is NOT covered.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
post #13 of 17 Old 12-16-2013, 03:07 PM
radio-pro.ru Sponsor

Quote:

Cintocrunch is right, these are very popular for the Civic owners who eliminate their stock cat with race headers. We have a very good one which is angled so you don't have to worry about the O2 sensor being broken if it's a tight fit with the body.
Check it out here:
post #14 of 17 Old 12-16-2013, 03:41 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_treme339 View Post
P0420 does NOT necessarily mean your cat it bad. It can also be a bad O2 sensor, bad air/fuel ratio sensor, bad sensor wiring, or an exhaust leak before the cat. All of that should be checked first.

2006 EX Navi V6-6 Sedan
post #15 of 17 Old 12-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Drive View Post
P0420 does NOT necessarily mean your cat it bad. It can also be a bad O2 sensor, bad air/fuel ratio sensor, bad sensor wiring, or an exhaust leak before the cat. All of that should be checked first.
That is correct, the P0420 code is just a symptom.

Possible PO420 code causes

The following engine related problems are known to generate the PO420 code:

Intake manifold air leaks
Fuel injector problems (leaks)
Incorrect spark plugs
Ignition timing
EGR problem
Defective catalytic converter
Oil or antifreeze entering exhaust
O2 sensor not operating correctly
Road damage to converter
Silicone contamination

Silicone-based products or Teflon sealants should not be used on any part of the exhaust system. They are not designed to operate at high exhaust temperatures and will out gas, causing damage to O2 sensors.

Sent from

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.