Steering wheel wobble low speed and vibration at higher speeds - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 12-09-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Angry Steering wheel wobble low speed and vibration at higher speeds

Hey, I'm pretty sure I had an account on here before but I haven't been on here in a long time because my 2003 Accord coupe EX has been reliable up until now. Let me begin by saying I've researched this problem on google page after page all coming up with the same answer which I will get to in a minute but before I continue to pour money into parts I don't need I want others input just as long as they don't tell me its a tire :/ because all 4 of my tires are new with less than 6,000 miles on them. Anyway here we go.

It all started when I had a blow out on my old crappy bridgestones so I decided to just get 4 new tires, I got a brand called Hi Fly (last time I ever buy tires without researching them) they had great tread but pretty much no smaller passage ways for water and the rubber compound was very hard and thats when It all began after I got these tire, I started to feel the wobble through the steering wheel very faintley as if the tires were in the shape of a oval or something, then I could visually see the steering wheel rocking back and forth, so me being very peticular about my car and wanting everything to work in order I decided to get new tires ones that I had researched I went with some Hankook Optimo's they are the nicer touring model they have and I thought okay great this is going to fix everything because the el cheapo tire had to have been the cause but boy was I wrong, it got worse, way worse, and still is to this day. Now when I turn a corner I can feel the tires spinning like ovals and then make the corner and let go of the steering wheel and the wheel is like "BOOM" "BOOM" "BOOM" (me exagerating the back and forth motion) its so annoying its all I think about when I drive the car, which is everyday, its pretty much consuming my thoughts by now too, anyway lets wrap this up, I went back to my tyre show Peerless Tyre Co. They are my fav and they showed me one of my factory rims was bent so he moved that one to the back and re balanced the front two and the problem still remains, I replaced both of the CV shafts because my car has a shake under acceleration and the new cv shafts actually cured that but not the wobble, so I bought new outer tie rod ends and had an alignment done (it needed it anyway) no change, but what i'm down to now is the ball joints or the steering rack, mind you the steering rack makes a metal on metal noise when you turn the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off, some people say this is normal I think other wise, Im just at a loss to what it could be and everyone seems to think its a tire every time but that isn't the case, I want a real deal answer this time, thanks for reading this if you did, I would really like to get this resolved before it makes me end up selling the car or worse actually bringing it to a mechanic (I do all my own work)

Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-09-2013, 07:58 PM
6th Gear

It would be hard to give a definitive answer without a first hand inspection

Check everything. Bushings, struts, sway bar, links, control arms, steering rack for looseness, etc

And maybe take a video of what its doing

post #3 of 22 Old 12-10-2013, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Okay, I will definitely recheck everything but I just thought about something that made me go "hmmm" I had a 1996 Camry with 260,000 miles and I never once had this problem on it maybe because it had Steelees? But I've owned this accord for 7 years now and do you think it's possible that all the alloy rims have seen so much wear and tear that this is the cause? Because alloy is less dense it makes it high up on list for me as the definite cause of this problem, since the tires are new and eeverything has no play, the rims are the last factor. what do you think?

post #4 of 22 Old 12-10-2013, 12:32 PM
3rd Gear

Check your inner tie rods, upper and lower ball joints. you can google how you're supposed to check them
post #5 of 22 Old 12-10-2013, 04:27 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micahmoo888 View Post
do you think it's possible that all the alloy rims have seen so much wear and tear that this is the cause? Because alloy is less dense it makes it high up on list for me as the definite cause of this problem, since the tires are new and eeverything has no play, the rims are the last factor. what do you think?
Bent wheels will cause a vibration at high speed. On my black 06 I had two alloy wheels bent that gave a vibration throughout the whole car, not just on the steering wheel. A bent wheel can easily be checked on a balancer

But I dont think that would cause a slow speed wobble
post #6 of 22 Old 12-10-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Well I definitely have that higher speed vibration for sure which must be from at least one of them rims I know that is bent. I checked everything and noticed my bearings are rather hard to spin free handed with no rim or rotor on them, but there is no play with the tire on, is that normal for them to be hard to rotate? Other than that everything suspension related seeme fine, if we have narrowed it down to not being the cv shafts, definitely not the tires, the steering rack has no play in it but does make the metal on metal noise when engine is off, the only thing left would be the steering column itself, it just seems too simple to not have found the problem yet, the steering wheel is connecting the rack the rack connects to the steering nuckle steering the wheel, what else could there be? the u joint at the bottom of the steering column? I've started walking to work because I don't like driving my car with this happening :\, Thanks for your quick replys!
post #7 of 22 Old 12-10-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks andetheninja I will look that up
post #8 of 22 Old 12-10-2013, 06:28 PM

Do you have a friend with a car with the same rim bolt pattern, who can swap/lend you all 4 alloy or steelie wheels for maybe an hour? That'll rule out the wheels being the problem.

What is your mileage?

I'm not saying that the ball joint is the issue but the way I detected an upper ball joint issue is when I made hard right turns, the car's front end would wiggle/slide a bit. I then found grease leaking out of the driver's side upper ball joint. Once I replaced it, the problem went away. But that's far from your "wobble" issue. Take a large pry bar or screw driver to both upper and ball joints, they should not move when you pry them.
post #9 of 22 Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
Do you have a friend with a car with the same rim bolt pattern, who can swap/lend you all 4 alloy or steelie wheels for maybe an hour? That'll rule out the wheels being the problem.
+1 Sometimes "simple" is the best way....

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
post #10 of 22 Old 12-10-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I wish I did because that would be a good test, Just over 125,000 miles, I will try that pry bar on the top ball joints, I will point out I can see a little bit of grease on the upper drivers side ball joint. I know some people believe that ball joints can last the life of a vehicle but I tend to disagree, I just changed out my outer tie rod ends and compared the joints the old ones with 125k on them were could be moved with one finger while the new ones I got would barley budge with my whole hand putting force on them, Ive had the lower ball joints off and they are just as easy to move as the old tie rod ends but show no cracking or grease leaking, but to me imo about ball joints 125k miles on a ball joint seems like a good long life and a good time to replace to firm your suspension and ride back up. I did it to my camry that had 220k on its ball joints and it was like night and day after I changed them. Also I know i'm stuck on ball joints atm but im willing to start cheap before I think about a new set of wheels or tires or anything else expensive but my haynes repair manual says this "Shimmy, Shake or vibration" possible causes 1. Tire or Wheel out of balance or out of round, 2. Loose or worn front hub or wheel bearings, 3. Worn tie rod ends, 4. Worn Lower Balljoints, 5. Excessive wheel runout, 6, Blister or bump on tire.

So were looking at bearings, tie rod ends and ball joints for failure or the wheels themselfs but thats last on the list.
post #11 of 22 Old 12-10-2013, 08:14 PM
5th Gear

IMO, a Honda dealer will diagnose it easily. You can get your own parts and do the work yourself. This will save you lot of time and heart-ache. In fact, we have some experts on here and may be they can help you too.

2012 Toyota Avalon Limited, Magnetic Grey - Wife's Car
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, Alabaster Silver - Family Hauler/My daily ride
2003 Accord EXV6, 5AT Sedan- Sold

Current OEM: Moonroof Visor, Window Visors, Roof Rails, Crossbars, Body Side Moldings, Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Door-Sill Garnish, All-Weather Floor Mats, Wheel Locks
Future OEM: Remote Engine Start

"Performance modifications are not worth the hassle on an old daily ride. Buy a performance car instead " - Accord_Rules
post #12 of 22 Old 12-11-2013, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I would but I will never set foot in my local Honda dealer again. I got chewed out by the parts guy for ordering the wrong light bulb for my fog light switch but I told him what it was for and my dimmer switch for the dash lights stopped working and they charged me $60 just to tell me I needed a new Speedo and they could do it for $600! So since then I've vowed to never return again and do all car work myself but if there are some experts on here that could help me I'd really appreciate it. If it means anything this problem is internment, I could turn one corner and it won't do it while it will the next.
post #13 of 22 Old 12-12-2013, 01:34 AM
5th Gear

Yes there are some members here who work for Honda. I'm sure they'll chime in.

2012 Toyota Avalon Limited, Magnetic Grey - Wife's Car
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, Alabaster Silver - Family Hauler/My daily ride
2003 Accord EXV6, 5AT Sedan- Sold

Current OEM: Moonroof Visor, Window Visors, Roof Rails, Crossbars, Body Side Moldings, Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Door-Sill Garnish, All-Weather Floor Mats, Wheel Locks
Future OEM: Remote Engine Start

"Performance modifications are not worth the hassle on an old daily ride. Buy a performance car instead " - Accord_Rules
post #14 of 22 Old 12-22-2013, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Wobble wobble wobble, *wants to wreck the car and get a new one*
post #15 of 22 Old 12-22-2013, 04:32 PM
4th Gear

It is possible that the tires are flat-spotting?

That is that the tire stays a bit semi-permanently deformed where rubber hits the road when parked. Flat-spotting will usually go away after several miles, as it gets warmed up and rolled out. Cold weather aggravates flat-spotting.

All tires used to do this when I was a kid decades ago. But the phenomenon seems to have made a comeback.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.