Dynamat and sound deadening?? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 85 Old 02-05-2008, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
I<3my Honda (Eff a V-Dub)

Send a message via AIM to methmurda
Dynamat and sound deadening??

How many sq feet of this stuff would I need to do my entire trunk and or the doors.... Im not sure if i want to do the entire car or not, any suggestions? oh and wut areas do yall with subs in the trunk have problems with? on my accord the entire rear deck and the pillars by the rear wind shield, thats besides under the trunk lid.

03' Honda Accord LX - graphite pearl
  1. Pioneer Deh3400 Hu
  2. Logic Soundlab ZX620 6.5 2 way speakers (front doors) 4 ohm 150w rms
  3. Logic Soundlab ZX693 6x9 3 way speakers (rear deck) 4 ohm 250w rms
  4. Kicker Cvr12 12" SubWoofer DVC (Trunk) 4 ohm 400w rms
  5. Hifonics Titan TXi Amp 680w rms
  6. Power Acoustics 3 Farad Capacitor
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 02-05-2008, 02:40 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to krazyfiend
look into

fatmat and/or damplifier ...much cheaper and for the latter, better options that dynamat

Current Stable-
~'10 Accord Coupe PMM w/Ivory EX-L V6 (pur. 8.24.10) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~'92 Mercedes 190e i-6 183k miles (1 family ownership)

Past Stable-
08' Accord Coupe PMM w/Blk EX-L V6 31k miles (pur. 10.25.07-sold 8.24.10)
98' V8 Ford SHO Blk on Blk (sold outright)
91' 300zx MT N/A (totaled)
post #3 of 85 Old 02-05-2008, 06:23 PM
4th Gear

Check out this site.

If you look around, you'll probably find the answers you want.

I've already plastered the doors and entire trunks of my cars with the V1. I'm thinking about putting Teklite over it.

CURRENT RIDES

2009 Candy White Jetta 2.5L SE
2008 Starfire Pearl IS350
2007 Taffeta White Accord EX-L V6
1996 Milano Red Prelude VTEC
1995 Charcoal Metallic E320

EX RIDES

2002 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL-S
2000 Naples Gold Accord EX V6
1992 Milano Red Prelude Si
1991 Gold Maxima GXE
1978 Continental Mark V Emilio Pucci Edition

post #4 of 85 Old 02-05-2008, 06:25 PM
OWLS Don't Sleep

^That's a great link. Thanks.

Sound deadening is next up on my to-do list.

Kunal.
DA Moderator
PADENJCM Squad #2

2007 Accord Coupe EX-L V6
2002 Accord Sedan SE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 85 Old 02-06-2008, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
I<3my Honda (Eff a V-Dub)

Send a message via AIM to methmurda
thank you for the link it was very helpfull but does anybody know how many sq. feet you need to do the trunk and doors on a 4dr honda accord

03' Honda Accord LX - graphite pearl
  1. Pioneer Deh3400 Hu
  2. Logic Soundlab ZX620 6.5 2 way speakers (front doors) 4 ohm 150w rms
  3. Logic Soundlab ZX693 6x9 3 way speakers (rear deck) 4 ohm 250w rms
  4. Kicker Cvr12 12" SubWoofer DVC (Trunk) 4 ohm 400w rms
  5. Hifonics Titan TXi Amp 680w rms
  6. Power Acoustics 3 Farad Capacitor
post #6 of 85 Old 02-10-2008, 08:41 AM
5th Gear

To do all 4 doors and your trunk you can use as little as 30 sq ft, or as much as 100, it all depends on whether you are doing problem areas, or every sq inch.

If your trunk lid is rattling, dynamat will not help. It is not the actual panel that is vibrating against itself, it is the lid rattling against the car. I have had this problem in many 7th gen accords that I have done installs in. The best fix I have found is to back the rubber stoppers out of the trunk lid (the 2 round 'bumpers' in the corners of the lid) a little by unscrewing them a bit. This will put a little more pressure against the lid when it closes.

This is not a solution to vibration noise, and should not be a substitute for dynamat. I have dynamatted entire cars, and the result is amazing. If you do the whole interior (floor boards, doors, etc.) you will be pleased with the result. It makes for a much quieter, pleasant cabin. You will be able to enjoy your music more, since you are lowering your sound floor. You can do your roof, but it is much more tedious than the rest of the interior. I would recommend buying dynamat extreme in bulk packs on ebay, as it is cheaper per sq. ft.

When you get to doing it, I would recommend a dynamat roller, (the rubber one, not the economy wooden one) a utility knife, and a pair of mechanics gloves. Use the roller to make sure the dynamat is adhered properly. Use the knife to trim away from holes that door fastener clips lock into, bolt holes, etc. and the gloves will prevent slices to your hands (very easy to get if you are using dynamat extreme, since it has a foil layer, which can have sharp edges) Remember that the rubber part will stretch, but the foil layer will not, so when you are doing lots of wavy areas or large curved pieces, cut the dynamat into smaller pieces and lay them on more like a puzzle rather than trying to use one large sheet (i.e. transmission tunnels and spare tire wells)

I hope this helps you out!

2007 EX V6 5AT Alabaster Silver (my work horse)

2006 600RR Silver (my toy)

Proud member of N.A.T.O. - No Altezza Taillights Organization.

HIDs for all! (as long as they are 6000k!)
post #7 of 85 Old 02-10-2008, 01:38 PM
J's 06V6EXL

Look Up RAAMaudio and that will tell you how much and just email the owner and he will tell how much you will need. I have bought my stuff from him and he is a really great person. I bought enough to do my car for about 350 not really that bad.

I love cars way too much
1st car 2002 Nissan 3.5 SE (03-05)
2nd car 2005 Honda Accord EXL (05-06)
3rd car 2006 GMC Canyon (06-06)
4th car 2004 VW Jetta GLI (06-07)
5th car 2006 Honda Accord V6 (07-pres)
Wife's car 2007 KIA Sportage LX (07-pres)
post #8 of 85 Old 02-10-2008, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear

I have quite a bit of my interior done with dynamat.. the rear deck and quarter pannels, underneath the backseat, and the doors.. it made an unbelieveable difference in the bass response of the stock speakers.. There is MUCH less road noise and zero rattles.. Its an amazing difference..

I have not, however, done any of my trunk because i dont have a sound system..
post #9 of 85 Old 02-11-2008, 05:27 PM
OWLS Don't Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV6Steve View Post
I have quite a bit of my interior done with dynamat.. the rear deck and quarter pannels, underneath the backseat, and the doors.. it made an unbelieveable difference in the bass response of the stock speakers.. There is MUCH less road noise and zero rattles.. Its an amazing difference..

I have not, however, done any of my trunk because i dont have a sound system..
How much did that cost you? How many layers? If it's too much I'll do it myself.

Kunal.
DA Moderator
PADENJCM Squad #2

2007 Accord Coupe EX-L V6
2002 Accord Sedan SE

post #10 of 85 Old 02-11-2008, 06:04 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to krazyfiend
do it yourself! I was intimidated by my mercedes at first... it made me learn the interior and is an easy over the weekend project... I removed all my seats and did the full nine yards with the complete trunk, hat rack and all door panels... 1 layer of damplifier everywhere, 3 layers of fatmat throughout the trunk with some key places reinforced with a base dynamat xtreme i required a 50 ft roll of ... i think total i used 225-250 sq ft.... for a small sedan ..lol, i was thorough.

but yeah, DIY if u have the space and time... you might go buy some clips for panels...for MB they were pretty much all 2 different types of clips but i probably broke 2 total. I shouldve taken pics of the process..it was hilarious seeing my car so stripped down in 8 hrs and with pages printed out from my forums detailing proper removal... i was installed my 2 10" P3's and wiring was made a whole lot easier combining the sound deadening w/ wire channeling for speakers & subs

Current Stable-
~'10 Accord Coupe PMM w/Ivory EX-L V6 (pur. 8.24.10) -

~'92 Mercedes 190e i-6 183k miles (1 family ownership)

Past Stable-
08' Accord Coupe PMM w/Blk EX-L V6 31k miles (pur. 10.25.07-sold 8.24.10)
98' V8 Ford SHO Blk on Blk (sold outright)
91' 300zx MT N/A (totaled)
post #11 of 85 Old 02-11-2008, 07:06 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfiend View Post
do it yourself! I was intimidated by my mercedes at first... it made me learn the interior and is an easy over the weekend project... I removed all my seats and did the full nine yards with the complete trunk, hat rack and all door panels... 1 layer of damplifier everywhere, 3 layers of fatmat throughout the trunk with some key places reinforced with a base dynamat xtreme i required a 50 ft roll of ... i think total i used 225-250 sq ft.... for a small sedan ..lol, i was thorough.

but yeah, DIY if u have the space and time... you might go buy some clips for panels...for MB they were pretty much all 2 different types of clips but i probably broke 2 total. I shouldve taken pics of the process..it was hilarious seeing my car so stripped down in 8 hrs and with pages printed out from my forums detailing proper removal... i was installed my 2 10" P3's and wiring was made a whole lot easier combining the sound deadening w/ wire channeling for speakers & subs
How did you get the door panels off the Mercedes? My mother has a 95' E320 and one of the speakers is blown. I have no idea how to take off the door panel. My other alternative would be to hire somebody to do it, but I've already had a "professional" replace the speakers, headunit and add an amp. The guy mounted the amp upside down, and as I drove the car more and more, I noticed lots of loose panels because of either loosened or broken clips.

CURRENT RIDES

EX RIDES

1991 Gold Maxima GXE
post #12 of 85 Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KunalPatel87 View Post
How much did that cost you? How many layers? If it's too much I'll do it myself.
It cost me about 120 dollars for 32 sq. ft. of the dynamat extreme from ebay. I only did one layer. You should DEFINITELY DIY.. Its not hard to do you would just need an entire saturday to finish the job..

What i did was take out all the pannels after work on friday and then i installed the dynamat and put the pannels back in on saturday..

As far as advice for intalling this material you need a rubber roller, gloves and a razor knife, thats basically it.

After seeing the pictures of the similar material on edesignaudio.com, i would purchase the material from them.. Its MUCH cheaper and looks to be exactly the same as dynamat extreme. I dont think there could be much of a difference in performance. I plan to buy this and do the entire floorboard.
post #13 of 85 Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 PM
4th Gear

I never bought from anywhere else except at Elemental Designs (ie. edesignaudio). I bought 100 sq. ft. of the original V1 and it worked really well. In hindsight, I probably should have gotten the liquid (easier to cover nooks, crevices, etc.) or at least gotten the thicker V2. I must have put a ton of the V1 in my Prelude and the TL-S. I didn't notice much of a difference in the TL-S, but the Prelude is definitely a lot quieter. Although I can still hear the aftermarket muffler pretty well when I step on it, the car's actually pretty quiet when I'm cruising on the highway.
I just got 50 sq. ft. of their V4 Teklite (not cheap!) and add them to the doors and trunk of the Prelude and the 07' EX-L. If I'm lucky, I'll have enough for at least all the doors. If I'm real lucky, the Accord will be as quiet as my IS!

If you're considering the Dynamat Extreme, check out the stuff at Elemental Designs. (). IMHO, I think they have better stuff at better prices.

CURRENT RIDES

EX RIDES

1991 Gold Maxima GXE
post #14 of 85 Old 02-12-2008, 08:37 PM
2nd Gear

At edesignaudio.com, is the v1^2 really $1.00 a sq ft and the V4 only $2.00? It seems so cheap I just want to be sure that i am reading it correctly
post #15 of 85 Old 02-12-2008, 09:00 PM
J's 06V6EXL

That is what I got out of it. I like the UE line that is the type of sound deadening I got for my car but at RaamAudio it is 1.90 per sqft. The Butyl is a ligher matt and it works really good. I bought 2 rolls and 7 yards of the ensolite to give the doors a finished look for about 350. Also as for dealing with this company the owner is really nice and will answer any all of your question. When I first placed my order I order too much ensolite. He emailed me to make sure and informed me that i was ordering way to much and then took my car and system information and told me how much of everything I would need. Very nice guy.

I love cars way too much
1st car 2002 Nissan 3.5 SE (03-05)
2nd car 2005 Honda Accord EXL (05-06)
3rd car 2006 GMC Canyon (06-06)
4th car 2004 VW Jetta GLI (06-07)
5th car 2006 Honda Accord V6 (07-pres)
Wife's car 2007 KIA Sportage LX (07-pres)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.