Catalytic Converter... - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 10-25-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Catalytic Converter...

Hey guys,
I have a 2007 Accord 4dr 5sp LX with 123750 miles. Yesterday morning, the check engine light came on while driving to work. So I took it to a local mechanic after work and they said it's the catalytic converter, code P0420. The lady quoted me $745 OTD. She said they will order parts from Honda. Does the price seems reasonable? This is one steep repair for me, ouch.

I looked up a few videos on youtube on how to change the catalytic converter. The guy in this video,
, recommends cleaning it first. He recommends pouring 1 gallon of lacquer thinner into the tank when it's half full and drive it untill it's empty. Wha wha whaaattt?? Has anyone heard or tried this method before? If so, how did it work out for you?

I didn't notice any knocking or extra engine noise, but I did notice the rpm goes up a bit higher than before. For example. When I shift gear from 10mph to 20mph, the rpm would hit 3k before I reach 20mph. Same thing as when I shift gear to go from 20mph to 30mph. The rpm would hit 3k before I reach 30mph.

What other choices do I have? If I need to replace the converter, which one is best bang for the buck beside the OEM? I'm thinking about getting one online and have a mechanic install it. Is this a common wear and tear?

All opinions are highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 10-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Elvira - the car

Unless the cat is plugged or melted, SEAFOAM the engine and put some in the gas tank. Maybe 6 bucks to try it.
It may also clean your O2 sensor, although 100K miles you might want to replace that.
Youtube has dozens of clips about seafoaming your engine.

Anyway P0402 comes up as an EGR problem. Google it.

There's a start for you that costs WAY less than 700+ $

Miker

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #3 of 52 Old 10-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

I don't agree with his suggestion to use lacquer or whatever. I'd buy a product meant specifically for engines.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 52 Old 10-25-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Thanks for the replies guys.
Miker - The code that I got from check engine light is P0420, not P0402 . I'll try the seaform tomorrow and hopefully it'll do that job.

drowned - Yeah I'm kind of afraid to do that also lol.
post #5 of 52 Old 10-25-2013, 09:27 PM
4th Gear

I havent had an issue with mine. I have an 05 with near 160,000. I did replace an O2 last January though. I do want to do Seafoam. But I don't want the neighbors thinking I am burning down the house or car.
post #6 of 52 Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueSilver View Post
I havent had an issue with mine. I have an 05 with near 160,000. I did replace an O2 last January though. I do want to do Seafoam. But I don't want the neighbors thinking I am burning down the house or car.
Maybe I should replace the 02 sensor first and see if that's the culprit.
post #7 of 52 Old 10-25-2013, 10:21 PM

I think a bad O2 sensor would trip its own code. I get a CEL from the O2 sensor ocassionally, because my precat isn't there.

)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

post #8 of 52 Old 10-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Out of Control

Your CAT is dead. Seafoam, O2 sensor, etc. will just add to the expense. The price seems high because they are quoting you with a genuine Honda cat, which if you check online, is around $500. You might try aftermarket and take it to a muffler shop vs mechanic for install.

Something like this has a 5yr warranty and costs $140.... (assuming you're not in Cali)

If you do go OEM, be sure what you receive is actually OEM.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #9 of 52 Old 10-26-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post
Your CAT is dead. Seafoam, O2 sensor, etc. will just add to the expense. The price seems high because they are quoting you with a genuine Honda cat, which if you check online, is around $500. You might try aftermarket and take it to a muffler shop vs mechanic for install.

Something like this has a 5yr warranty and costs $140.... (assuming you're not in Cali)

If you do go OEM, be sure what you receive is actually OEM.
It makes drastically more sense to try a cheap fix like seafoam before buying a new cat.

)

post #10 of 52 Old 10-26-2013, 03:22 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
It makes drastically more sense to try a cheap fix like seafoam before buying a new cat.
Seafoam is a solvent (naptha) which is mixed oil. It's meant to clean varnish from the engine. The reason why you see all that white smoke when seafoaming, is that oil base being burnt off. Your cat is working hard to scrub that white smoke as it's being emitted, so while it may do the engine some good, it's not doing your cat any good.

I perfectly understand wanting to try anything to avoid such an expense. I've been there and done it (another car), including the gallon of lacquer in thinner in the gas tank. The only thing I didn't try was pulling off the CAT and soaking it in soap water overnight. I figured if I'm going through the trouble of pulling off those rusted bolts, etc. It would be a new cat put back in.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #11 of 52 Old 10-26-2013, 03:45 AM
BRWNFLSH now

I would only try cleaning the cat, if it's off the car. I would not run anything, including seafoam, through my engine. Gas only. But that's just my opinion. Probably a good idea to buy new bolts before even attempting to remove the old ones.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #12 of 52 Old 10-26-2013, 06:57 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamchowder View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.
Miker - The code that I got from check engine light is P0420, not P0402 . I'll try the seaform tomorrow and hopefully it'll do that job.

drowned - Yeah I'm kind of afraid to do that also lol.
My mistake

Done the seafoam on ALL my cars with 100K+ miles on the clock with no problems but that's my experience. Your mileage may vary.

All the other suggestions are sound recommendations.

Miker

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #13 of 52 Old 10-26-2013, 07:09 AM
Doing trumps "I've read".

My thoughts

I went through all of this granted it's a V6 with three catalytic convertors. Code was the same and I tried ALL the "lessor fixes" to no avail. I might have gone 50 miles after Seafoam, o2 sensors, etc and the code popped up every time. In the end I replaced all three cats with Honda only parts and all is well (80k miles ago). I only use Honda parts. I wouldn't even venture with aftermarket.

I think your Accord may only have the one Cat underneath. My code pointed to the Cat on Bank 1 and I concentrated on that one as well as the others. I did do all three (especially the one on bank 2 after reading hundreds of posts). In the end, it's a bad Cat.
MindFork likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to OdAccord For This Useful Post:
MindFork (06-21-2015)
post #14 of 52 Old 10-26-2013, 10:05 AM
4th Gear

i definitely suggest you change the o2 sensors first. Its wayyy cheaper than a CAT.
post #15 of 52 Old 10-26-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

One thing I didn't mention is that I'm missing 2 screws for the air filter housing. I doubt that's the culprit. What do you guys think about cataclean? Some said it's a myth and some said it worked for them. I talked to a guy at autozone this morning and he said it's a myth. Autozone can't check for codes anymore. Cali outlawed it couple years ago.

I read in another forum that someone had this code as well and it was the gas cap. It could also be a spark plug but I changed that around 80K. I use NGK IZFR6K-11 iridium. My car is now at 123750.

Drew: I live in So Cal, what cat do I need in aftermarket?
OdAccord: I'm hoping that my car only has one cat.
D-Jet: I'm thinking about doing that also.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.