Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-26-2007, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner

So guys, our salesman (has been selling Hondas for 20 years and I trust him) mentioned something interesting during delivery of my parents' new 07. he suggested we do this every 6 months:

Run the tank of regular unleaded till empty.
Fill with Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner + tank of PREMIUM gas.
Run it on the highway till empty, then refill with another tank of premium. After that, resume filling with Regular Unleaded for another 6 months.

How do you guys feel about this? My 05 has 52k miles and i haven't ever done this. It doesn't sound like a bad idea but adding stuff to my tank makes me kinda cautious. I've been gettting sh*tty gas mileage and will try anything.

The old dude really knows his stuff. He pulled out a tube of Shin-etsu from his desk drawer and insisted we visit him every few months so he can lube the windows for us (for free) to avoid rattles. I was impressed that he knew the problem and fix!

Thanks, y'all!

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-26-2007, 07:12 AM
accordless

salesmen in general do not actually know anything about cars or how they work. they hopefully know features and whatnot, but not always.... anyways. the stuff has a purpose, but if you use good fuel, generally a top tier, you don't need it. you aren't going to gain anything. most fuel issues that stuff is meant for are a thing of the past.

'08 RDX tech.

'06 accord V6 6 MT nav sedan... gone.

'06 TSX 6MT.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-26-2007, 07:18 AM
lovin' my first car

chevron's techron brand of fuel cleaner is regarded as one of the only fuel injector cleaners that actually cleans your fuel system. it is really concentrated, something like 1 bottle for every 10 gallons of gasoline.

i believe the salesman is correct when he says to fill it up when your tank is empty. that way it will mix in nicely with the premium fuel you add in afterwards. i usually fill up with chevron 87 or 89 depending on the price. according to chevron, their premium grade has more cleaning additives than their regular or midgrade. they are a top tier brand of gas, so all of their grades of fuel have to meet a set minimum of cleaning additives.

i think every 6 months might be a little too frequent unless you plan to keep the car beyond 200,00 miles. i plan to use 2 bottles of techron every 10k-15k depending on how my car runs. i hope to keep this car to at least 150,00 miles. highway driving is supposed to be an easier load on your engine since you're moving at a constant speed, so i can see why your salesman recommended this.

as for your gas mileage, what are your driving conditions? city? highway? mixed? running techron though your fuel system can only do so much. i would check your tire pressures, oil, and air filter. i honestly have never used the shin-etsu grease on my car. what i usually do is just buy a pack of armor all cleaning wipes and wipe the door seals everytime i clean out my car interior. so far, no rattles whatsoever, so i guess cleanliness of the seals is working just fine for my car least.

'07 NBP Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi- Mods - Accessories (Splash Guards, Wheel Locks, OEM fog lights, OEM door & moonroof visors, Decklid Spoiler, All season mats, Cassette Deck, Door Edge Guards), Polk Audio DB691 6x9 speakers

Coming Soon - 35% tint front and back, HFP gunmetal grey 17" wheels

post #4 of 12 Old 10-26-2007, 11:11 AM
3rd Beer

Gas at the Chevrons out here already have the Techron mixed in.

-mess

07 Accord LX AT sedan graphite pearl
post #5 of 12 Old 10-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

I'll agree with him but only partially. Buy enough Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus to treat a full tank and fill up with 87 after putting in the concentrate. The tank doesn't have to be low for the Techron to mix, if you can put five gallons in on top of it and that fills the tank, you're good. There is no need for the premium fuel before, during, or after.

Run the tank until you are at 1/4 or below, fill 'er up with 87, and go on your way......you're done for 6 months (+/-).
post #6 of 12 Old 10-26-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messfeeder View Post
Gas at the Chevrons out here already have the Techron mixed in.
All Chevron & Texaco fuel has Techron it it by the way.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-26-2007, 01:24 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
salesmen in general do not actually know anything about cars or how they work.
The good ones do though.

I used Mopar Fuel Injector cleaner in my old Jeep. The Parts Dept told me to use it when I make frequent stops (like running errands) so the injectors would get a real good soaking.

2006 Honda Accord EX-L V6 AT Sapphire Blue
post #8 of 12 Old 10-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Rule Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
I run techron in my cars/truck too. It and B44k (I think that is the name) are regarded as being very high quality
post #9 of 12 Old 10-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Lead-Foot Driver

my honda is still new so i haven't used this yet. but on all my last 3 cars, i did a similar procedure at every oil change.
I just follow the directions on the bottle, the Chevron one i believe does say put in when empty then fill up. As for using premium over regular i don't know, i've always used premium in my other cars. this honda is the only car that i havent used premium for.
using this along with regular maintenence of my other cars, ive never had to get my injectors cleaned or anything like that, like a lot of people have to do after a while.

Current Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5SL (YAWN!)

Previous Cars: 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi, 2010 Nissan Maxima SV, 2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6, 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 1998 Pontiac Firebird GT, 1996 Chevrolet Camaro RS
post #10 of 12 Old 10-27-2007, 06:10 PM
6th Gear

I've been using Techron in my cars for years. Here's a little history about it. Some of Techron's (no not ProGuard) reputation goes way back when gas changed over from leaded to unleaded. The additive package changed a lot at the same time. Unfortunately, not all gas producers got it right. A number of cars started to get massive deposits from the additives. Some cars got large enough deposits on their valves to put them out of balance and make them run very rough. It included prestigious (or at least expensive) manufacturers like Mercedes and BMW. When they figured it out (I don't recall if it was MB, BMW, or both) they started clearly recommending 3-5 particular brands of gasoline whose additives did not cause the problem. Chevron was one of them and probably the only one who marketed basically their additives as a separate product: Techron.

I still believe it's one of the better products, but it's been a long time and I don't doubt some of their competitors may have caught up with them.

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #11 of 12 Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Sup

Just b/c it has the name Chevron on the pump, do you guys think it's indeed Chevron gas in the tanks? I just wonder if some owners carry the name but cheap out and get crap gas. That would definately suck.

How often are the underground tanks tested to see if the stuff you hope to be filling up with is legit?

07 Sedan SE I4 Auto
TSX IM w/ P2R heatshield
Homemade CAI
2.25" exh. w/ 06 Si muffler
17mm TL sway bar
Magnefine trans. filter
Fumoto Valve
Kenwood KFC-6970ie
post #12 of 12 Old 10-29-2007, 07:12 AM

It's the specific additives that make it Chevron, Shell, or whatever. The gasoline itself can be the same truck going to several stations.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.