Tensioner pulley shaking and making noise, video included - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 09-11-2013, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Tensioner pulley shaking and making noise, video included

Recently, I started my car and heard rattling under the hood. I went to take a look and found the sound coming from the serpentine belt area. Turns out the tensioner pulley was shaking side to side and making a good bit of noise, like a sewing machine. I also checked the arrow indicator and the arrow was to the left of the bar, which according to this thread by AznAccord08 means I have to replace the belt and pulley.

http://radio-pro.ru/forums/sh...d.php?p=624170

You can see and hear the pulley in the included video. The car is at 113,000 miles now and I had the serpentine belt changed about 30,000 miles ago. Any idea how much this repair/replacement will set me back? Thanks!

2003 Honda Accord EX-L I4 Auto 120,XXX Miles

Morimoto Mini H1 Retro 4300K | USA Spec PA15-HON2
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-11-2013, 09:29 PM
You're easy money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devi0us View Post

Recently, I started my car and heard rattling under the hood. I went to take a look and found the sound coming from the serpentine belt area. Turns out the tensioner pulley was shaking side to side and making a good bit of noise, like a sewing machine. I also checked the arrow indicator and the arrow was to the left of the bar, which according to this thread by AznAccord08 means I have to replace the belt and pulley.

http://radio-pro.ru/forums/sh...d.php?p=624170

You can see and hear the pulley in the included video. The car is at 113,000 miles now and I had the serpentine belt changed about 30,000 miles ago. Any idea how much this repair/replacement will set me back? Thanks!
Mine makes that noise too, didn't realize it wasnt supposed to.

'04 Eternal Blue Pearl K24 sedan
White Led Interior/Trunk/License plate/reverse lights/turn signals
OEM Spoiler
K&N Typhoon SRI intake 60-1209ts with AEM dry filter
V6 Battery upgrade
TSX intake manifold swap (Favorite mod so far!)
Intake resonator removed
Strut bar installed
Rear Acura TL base sway bar
Lowered on Tein SS coilovers (finally!)
Hella horn upgrade
35% tint all around
Aftermarket TSX header installed

post #3 of 26 Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 PM
5th Gear

The pulley is like 20 bucks at advance auto parts. But what is really messed up is the bearing inside the pulley. My car was doing the same.
I did something i shouldn't have done but w.e, i bought the pulley and switched the bearings and then returned the new pulley with the old bearing in it. The fix came out free. The pulley is easy to change though just loose up the bolt take out the pulley and put the new one in. i would go ahead and change the belt as well.

Accord 05 LX 2.4 Automatic
Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Budget Retrofit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to marceloleon For This Useful Post:
devi0us (09-11-2013)

post #4 of 26 Old 09-11-2013, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirtle View Post
Mine makes that noise too, didn't realize it wasnt supposed to.
Squirtle squirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by marceloleon View Post
The pulley is like 20 bucks at advance auto parts. But what is really messed up is the bearing inside the pulley. My car was doing the same.
I did something i shouldn't have done but w.e, i bought the pulley and switched the bearings and then returned the new pulley with the old bearing in it. The fix came out free. The pulley is easy to change though just loose up the bolt take out the pulley and put the new one in. i would go ahead and change the belt as well.
Wow, I'm glad to hear it's so cheap. I don't think I'll need to do a switcheroo, in that case.

I had a feeling it was bad bearing causing the shaking, though. Last time I had a local shop change my belt, but I think I'll save money on labor this time around and change the belt and the pulley, too.

Thanks for the input!

post #5 of 26 Old 09-12-2013, 05:57 AM
You're easy money.

Do you have to change the belt when you change the pulley? Because like Devious I changed my belt recently too, this was back in may, also what size wrench/socket do you need to replace the tensioner pulley? (The one on the top)

OEM Spoiler
V6 Battery upgrade
Intake resonator removed
Strut bar installed
Hella horn upgrade
35% tint all around

post #6 of 26 Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 AM

Bad bearing. You just need an extended wrench to loosen it. You might as well change the belt since you are in the area. But if you don't see any cracks on the belt, then there is no need to change it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t-rd For This Useful Post:
devi0us (09-12-2013), Slade (09-12-2013)
post #7 of 26 Old 09-12-2013, 11:57 AM
You're easy money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
Bad bearing. You just need an extended wrench to loosen it. You might as well change the belt since you are in the area. But if you don't see any cracks on the belt, then there is no need to change it.
But doesn't the wrench have to be a certain size to fit? I'm excited to do this, looks like an easy fix, not expensive and ill finally be rid of that sound!

OEM Spoiler
V6 Battery upgrade
Intake resonator removed
Strut bar installed
Hella horn upgrade
35% tint all around

post #8 of 26 Old 09-12-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

I'm excited to tackle this, too! I'll look at my belt later and opt not to replace it if it still looks good.

Question though:

Am I looking to buy just the pulley

or the pulley with arm piece?

It would seem that we only need to replace the pulley because the bearings are gone, but checking to be sure.

I also found this belt changing video on youtube that will helpful for this task.

The Following User Says Thank You to devi0us For This Useful Post:
Slade (09-12-2013)
post #9 of 26 Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM

You need either a long 14mm zero offset wrench or a serpentine belt tool,

You will need some other sizes of wrenches also to get the tensioner pulley off. I don't know that size on top of my head.
post #10 of 26 Old 09-12-2013, 03:14 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Pretty sure it's a 14mm bolt. I used a 14mm socket on a 3/8" breakerbar, and a 12" piece of pipe over the breakerbar handle for leverage. If you aren't changing the belt, you can just leave it routed around everything else, and just slip it off the tensioner and back on after changing the pulley. I certainly wouldn't change the tensioner itself, unless it is bad.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 13,000 miles so far
post #11 of 26 Old 09-12-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I did something i shouldn't have done but w.e, i bought the pulley and switched the bearings and then returned the new pulley with the old bearing in it. The fix came out free.
Not free, you stole it. Plain and simple. You can afford all those mods on your car and you pull that stunt. Please check your mailbox, I have something for you. Now someone will install the part, have issues with it and have to deal with it a second time. All because of your actions.
post #12 of 26 Old 09-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Shameful, just shameful.

I don't know which is worse, the fact that you did this in the first place, or that you would have no shame to then come to DA to brag about knowing full well you should not have done it..........

What's next for you? Print some counterfeit money to deposit in the ATM and then withdraw real money? Not much difference.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

post #13 of 26 Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
yeah, pretty shady if you ask me.

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 17xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #14 of 26 Old 09-12-2013, 05:31 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviography View Post
Shameful, just shameful.

I don't know which is worse, the fact that you did this in the first place, or that you would have no shame to then come to DA to brag about knowing full well you should not have done it..........

What's next for you? Print some counterfeit money to deposit in the ATM and then withdraw real money? Not much difference.

My very first thought was. He's "Pretty young". Doesnt excuse it.. just expains alot...
post #15 of 26 Old 09-12-2013, 05:51 PM
6th Gear

Someday someone will do something like that to you..... and you wont like it..... So remember what you did now for when that happens......

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.