Maintenace schedule beyond 150000 miles - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
hondafreak

Maintenace schedule beyond 150000 miles

Has anyone extrapolated out the maintenance schedule for a 2004 accord with 150000 miles and higher. My daughter's 2004 has 172,000 miles on it and the maint req light just came on. What maintenance is required at this mileage and beyond. The manual only lists recommended maintenance items for up to 150000.

current
13 CRV EX 4WD Urban titanium Metallic
06 accord lx coupe nighthawk black pearl
04 accord lx graphite pearl
00 civic ex vogue silver metallic

Passed on
98 accord lx flamenco black pearl
95 civic lx red
98 accordlx raisin pearl
08 CRV EX 4WD Whistler Silver Metallic
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Wave Interference

The MM will come on after a range of mileage depending somewhat how the car is driven - oil, trans fluid, coolant etc.

At your age and mileage, you still do the regular maintenance, which is what the MM is probably reminding you to do.

If the timing belt has never been changed (presuming this is a V6), it's time. Have a look at the serpentine belt as well.

Also, if you haven't changed the plugs, you could stand to do that now too.

Check the brake pads, and also consider changing the brake fluid out if that hasn't been done in the last few years. All other fluids should be looked at as well.

As for the rest - repair as needed.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 06:02 PM

If recommended maintenance list only goes up to 150,000 miles and you're at 172,000 miles, just pretend you're at 22,000 miles again and go from there.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 07:48 PM

On the 04 the MM is nothing but a counter that goes off every 7500 miles. Just do what NGH said and follow the regular maintenance schedule.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #5 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 PM
BRWNFLSH now

There is no "Maintenance Minder" on an 04 Accord. Only a Maintenance Required light, that will start coming on every 7,000 miles or so. In the maintenance section of your owner's manual it gives you Miles/Time intervals (two years, regardless of mileage for brake fluid, for example), so you have to look back to see when was the last time you did a certain maintenance (coolant change, for instance), to know if it's due again. If you don't keep records of what you did, and when, then you have to guess. I write everything down in the owner's manual.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 14,000 miles so far
post #6 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98accordlxblk View Post
Has anyone extrapolated out the maintenance schedule for a 2004 accord with 150000 miles and higher. My daughter's 2004 has 172,000 miles on it and the maint req light just came on. What maintenance is required at this mileage and beyond. The manual only lists recommended maintenance items for up to 150000.
Assuming that you had performed maintenance every 15K or so aside from the regular oil changes, you are basically looking at 7K, meaning that you did the last 15K maintenance at 165K. Your ATF should be changed every 30K or so and the brake fluid replaced every 60K. At this mileage, I would expect that you change the spark plugs, coolant, PS fluid, drive belt, water pump back at 100K or so. You may also have replaced the timing belt if it is an V6 at the same time. If not, there are a lot of overdue maintenance that you have to do to keep it from falling apart. For oil change, you may want to consider using high mileage oil and better oil filter like Fram toughguard rather than the normal oil and cheaper Fram filter.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-05-2013, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

Just hit 163000km's (101k miles) and after getting my brakes serviced and oil changed, am looking for a good shop to take care of:

- Replacing timing belt and water pump
- Inspecting valve clearance/adjustment
- Replacing spark plugs

Also look to replace your cabin and air filters if you haven't done so.

Also going to get my heat shield ripped out as it's causing a rattle against the Catalytic at approx 15km/s 3300rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordman View Post
Assuming that you had performed maintenance every 15K or so aside from the regular oil changes, you are basically looking at 7K, meaning that you did the last 15K maintenance at 165K. Your ATF should be changed every 30K or so and the brake fluid replaced every 60K. At this mileage, I would expect that you change the spark plugs, coolant, PS fluid, drive belt, water pump back at 100K or so. You may also have replaced the timing belt if it is an V6 at the same time. If not, there are a lot of overdue maintenance that you have to do to keep it from falling apart. For oil change, you may want to consider using high mileage oil and better oil filter like Fram toughguard rather than the normal oil and cheaper Fram filter.
With your reference to using high mileage oil and better oil filter, I have always gone dealership OEM honda oil and filter, would you recommend making the switch now for my 2006 EX-L V6 w/Navi? My co-worker said I shouldn't really think about making the switch to HM oil until approx 240km's (150mi).
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.