Tail light problem - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Tail light problem

I have a curious eletrical problem with my Accord V6. Both my rear tail lights and center console backlight are out but my brake lights and blinkers work fine. Checked all the light bulbs and only one burned out. Replaced the light bulb and checked the fuse #4, everything is fine. Checked the rear light circuit for continutity and it is fine too. I also tested the combination light switch and it is fine. The obvious causes are the fuse and the switch but neither is the problem. The only thing left is the darned rear light relay in the cabin. Unfornately, there are three of them but they are unmarked for the respectively light circuits. Does anyone know which one control the rear lights and which location on the ECM panel? I think it is one of these green Omron G8HN-H70 but not sure which one? I supposed I could replace them one by one to see which one is bad.

Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 10:26 PM
2006 I4 MT

Did you look under hood in the relay box? I know for the I4, there list a tail light relay in the "relay control module", which is under the hood.

2006 Accord LX Coupe I4 MT
post #3 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006accord4 View Post
Did you look under hood in the relay box? I know for the I4, there list a tail light relay in the "relay control module", which is under the hood.
No, I checked, there are only relays for the headlights and AC/radiator cooling fans. The rear light relays are inside the cabin.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-25-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordman View Post
No, I checked, there are only relays for the headlights and AC/radiator cooling fans. The rear light relays are inside the cabin.
Finally, I got a hold of the service manual and was able to see where the entire circuit is controlled from. Fuse #4 control the HVAC/audio center console lights, AT console light, heat seat light, license plate, tail lights, hazard light, etc. The fuse is fine because I have the front marker lights. hazard lights but my center console lights are out along with the tail lights. Yes, I was wrong, the head lights and tail lights are controlled by the relay control module under the hood. The problem is, I can't just change one relay for the headlights, interior console or tail lights, I have to replace the entire relay control box ($350). This is a bad design from Honda. You'd hope that this never happens to you, another expensive repair that should cost no more than $10.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-25-2013, 08:37 PM

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,360 Posts
Where's DreaminAccord (Ben)? He is well versed in electrical stuff....
post #6 of 7 Old 10-28-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Well, upon further inspection of the electrical wiring diagram, the front markers, rear lights and license plate are on the same circuit controlled by the same relay. This means my relay is fine because my front markers work but it looks like my rear wiring hardness may not have ground connection at either the G701 or G702. It is certainly beat replacing the entire under hood fuse relay box. I thought it may be the combination switch control unit that does not send the signal to the relay but it was not the case. This combination switch control unit is built into the wiper control (what the hell?). I checked the G701 and it is tight, so it is either the G702 or I have a bad wiring hardness.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Ballin' on a budget

Send a message via Skype™ to axipher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordman View Post
Well, upon further inspection of the electrical wiring diagram, the front markers, rear lights and license plate are on the same circuit controlled by the same relay. This means my relay is fine because my front markers work but it looks like my rear wiring hardness may not have ground connection at either the G701 or G702. It is certainly beat replacing the entire under hood fuse relay box. I thought it may be the combination switch control unit that does not send the signal to the relay but it was not the case. This combination switch control unit is built into the wiper control (what the hell?). I checked the G701 and it is tight, so it is either the G702 or I have a bad wiring hardness.
Hopefully it ends up being a bad ground that you can fix. I havne't looked at the schematic yet (I can if you want me to, just send me a reminder PM) but I know another member had a 7th generation tail light problem and it ended up being a harness issue where one portion of the harness was pinched somewhere and causing some funky flashing of the interior lighting with the signals.

Stella - 2007 Accord SE i4 MT
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.