Upgraded tires today - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-09-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Upgraded tires today

Swapped out my tires today. I have an 07 4 cyl. sedan 5 speed, with the oem 16" alloys wrapped in 205/60r16. I bought the car with some cheap S rated Toyo extensa a/s tires.

Today I threw on a set of 225/55r16W Michelin pilot sport a/s and all I can say is WOW, really brought the car back to life. although its only been a few hours, the wet traction is phenomenal. My toyos had 7/32 of tread left, and would hydro plane at the slightest acceleration in wet weather. These michelin hook up immediately in wet weather. Cornering and acceleration is also improved greatly. Definitley worth the upgrade.

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-09-2013, 04:31 PM
I <3 My Honda

Wow, I'm surprised to hear this about the Toyo's - they make some awesome tires... but I agree with you, the Michelin tires are awesome. When my stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 were on their way out, I went with them again I'm running Conti DWS now as my all-seasons and they perform a lot like the Michelin did, no complaints

Ben

'07 EX-L HFP V6 Coupe w/ Navi - "Tawonda"
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather
(Sold 07/26/17)

'17 Touring HFP V6 Coupe - "Bianca"
White Orchid Pearl / Black Ivory Leather
(Purchased 5/18/17)
post #3 of 14 Old 08-09-2013, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminAccord View Post
Wow, I'm surprised to hear this about the Toyo's - they make some awesome tires... but I agree with you, the Michelin tires are awesome. When my stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 were on their way out, I went with them again I'm running Conti DWS now as my all-seasons and they perform a lot like the Michelin did, no complaints
The mxm4 is a great a tire. I don't have much experience with Toyo and I'm sure they make a good tire, but the particular model I had was definitley economy.

If you were happy with your mxm4, take a look at the new pilot AS3. Michelin is pushing this tire hard and it's priced aggressively. It's going to be a replacement for tires like the mxm4, primacy hp and AS+. It's the new oem on 911s.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-09-2013, 06:16 PM

Toyo does not make great tires. My local discount tires don't carry them and tire rack doesn't even rate them, nor are there any reviews for them. Toyo make decent track / summer tires, but when it comes to tires for all condition, throw that out the window. There aren't even high performance or ultra-high performance all season lines for Toyo.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-25-2013, 06:41 AM
1st Gear

Is you car lowered? Im thinking about going a little wider as well, but wondering how the stock car weight will look with the small diameter tires.

2006 Accord coupe
post #6 of 14 Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
Toyo does not make great tires. My local discount tires don't carry them and tire rack doesn't even rate them, nor are there any reviews for them.
What is your definition of a "great" tire? From what I know, Toyo makes pretty good tires. Toyo's a small player with a small advertising budget in a business that's dominated by larger player such as Michelin, Yokohama, Goodyear, et al., so many people will not be familiar with them.

While there may not be many reviews on TireRack (there are a few , , , , ....), you can find plenty of Toyo tire reviews out on the Interwebs.

Quote:
Toyo make decent track / summer tires, but when it comes to tires for all condition, throw that out the window. There aren't even high performance or ultra-high performance all season lines for Toyo.
Toyo high performance all season? Take a look at the .

Quote:
Extensa HP: High Performance All-Season Tires

This high performance all-season tire offers the quality and styling you expect from Toyo Tires at an unexpected price. Designed with value in mind, the Extensa HP delivers all-season handling, increased mileage and a comfortable ride.
Toyo ultra-high performance all season? There's the .

Quote:
Proxes 4 Plus: Ultra-High Performance All-Season Tire

Introducing the very best ultra-high performance, all-season tire we’ve ever made. Experience better snow braking and significantly longer tread life than the leading competitor, PLUS a quieter ride over the life of the tire.** With up to a 50,000-mile warranty and our No Regrets 45-day, 500-mile trial offer, it's the perfect tire for your high-powered sports car.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-25-2013, 11:24 AM
3rd Gear

what is the width of the stock 16inch alloys? 6j? can a 225 tyre be safely fitted onto them? i know the wheel width and tire width should be compatible.

2007 Accord 2.4lt A/T sedan
post #8 of 14 Old 08-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,003 Times in 757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
Toyo high performance all season? Take a look at the .
Now why would you post this? Toyo only rates their own tire a 3.5 out of 5 in where the tire performs the best. I've had two sets of Toyos on other vehicles and they were great...I put them right up there with Michelins, however that link you provided does nothing to make your case.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-25-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
Now why would you post this?
Because t-rd said
Quote:
There aren't even high performance or ultra-high performance all season lines for Toyo.
which I showed to be inaccurate.

And you are aware that Toyo's rating scale is only intended to be used as a comparison chart so shoppers can see how each Toyo tire model performs in relation to other Toyo models and not versus other tire makes and models, right?
post #10 of 14 Old 08-25-2013, 12:49 PM
6th Gear

Michelin: somewhat pricey BUT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr7thSlpr View Post
Today I threw on a set of 225/55r16W Michelin pilot sport a/s and all I can say is WOW, really brought the car back to life.

Mich MXV4 here with 68,000 miles (still measure 7/32).

Good call, amigo

ez

2005 Accord EX V-6 Coupe 6M
Taff. White;cargo net;7-24-05

'13 VW JETTA SPTWGN TDI 6M
Build date:03/12/2013 NO NAV
ZERO SUNROOF:CANDY WHITE

1982 VW Rab. Diesel Pickup 5M
Mojave Beige/ac/bedliner/alloys
(sold to restoration outfit)
post #11 of 14 Old 08-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminAccord View Post
Wow, I'm surprised to hear this about the Toyo's - they make some awesome tires...
OP didn't experience the Toyos new. Comparing old tires to new, is sorta like comparing a brand new Camry, to an old Accord.

Rented a 2013 Toyota Camry SE for 9 days

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #12 of 14 Old 08-26-2013, 08:53 AM

This is like saying Nitto has Motivo as high performance all season, when Nittos is clearly a track/all summer tires player. The reason they came up with these tires is to compete with others in that market segment. I don't know anyone who runs Toyos for winter nor are they advertised much in "regular magazines." You see them all over the pages of super street, motortrend, etc, but they are meant for enthusiasts.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
This is like saying Nitto has Motivo as high performance all season, when Nittos is clearly a track/all summer tires player.
Why do you think Motivo's are "track/all summer tires?"
post #14 of 14 Old 08-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
Why do you think Motivo's are "track/all summer tires?"
It's not. Motivo is Nitto's attempt at a passenger all-season tires. Just like Toyo's attempt at theirs by making a few that probe into that segment.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.