Trunk Latch Broken/Jammed - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-29-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Unhappy Trunk Latch Broken/Jammed

I recently went to pull the truck release latch in the driver's foot well of my 2003 Accord sedan, I nothing happen. Not that the trunk didn't open, its that the lever didn't budge. I can't pull it with out presumably breaking it. The gas tank door and its part of the lever work (thank god lol) and my trunk opens with the remote and lock on it directly. There is no damage to either the truck lock mechanism or the lever. Is the cable some how stuck somewhere in the car?

Pics:

(This is as far as I can pull the lever)

Any advice would be appreciated!

Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 AM
3rd Gear

I would say it's the cable. I've seen a 06 Civic with the same issue and that's what it boiled down to. Don't remember how much it cost to fix the issue, but a dealer was able to take care of it.

post #3 of 16 Old 07-30-2013, 10:56 AM
I <3 My Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulW08 View Post
I would say it's the cable.
This.

Ben

'07 EX-L HFP V6 Coupe w/ Navi - "Tawonda"
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather
(Sold 07/26/17)

'17 Touring HFP V6 Coupe - "Bianca"
White Orchid Pearl / Black Ivory Leather
(Purchased 5/18/17)

post #4 of 16 Old 07-30-2013, 11:08 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminAccord View Post
This.
Is there not a cable that runs from this lever to the trunk latch? Nerveless, I believe this could resolve your issue OP.

Trunk won't open using driver trunk release hatch
post #5 of 16 Old 07-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Carpe Diem

Take that trim piece around the lever off and make sure everything is connected as it should be.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 07:41 AM
2006 Accord EX-L i4 4D

Your trunk lock is on "lock." Even when locked, the gas tank can still open. Just trun the key 90 degrees and try again.

Only ever owned Accords.

'06 Accord EX-L 4dr 4cyl 201k (going strong)
'97 Accord SE 4dr 4cyl 165k (sold)
post #7 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 06:54 PM
6th Gear

unlock it
post #8 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 10:09 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
$5 says he unlocks it and is too embarrassed to admit it was simply locked.....lol.

If he comes back, he is a great man.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
post #9 of 16 Old 08-01-2013, 02:06 AM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

According to the photo, the key slot is not in the locked position, but there is damage around the plastic. He should insert the key and turn the lock both directions and try to pull up on the trunk release.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-01-2013, 04:20 AM
Carpe Diem

Honestly I never knew what that lock did. I'm still not sure what the point of it is...
post #11 of 16 Old 08-01-2013, 09:35 AM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
Honestly I never knew what that lock did. I'm still not sure what the point of it is...
It allows you to lock the trunk and give a valet driver your valet key so they cannot steal items out of your trunk. The valet key cannot open the trunk or unlock the trunk release. It can only unlock the door and start the engine. It also makes it harder to steal items out of your trunk if someone broke into your car. Your trunk does not have a key-lock to break out and force open. If someone broke into your car, they can pull the release and take anything out of your trunk. Locking the lever would make it a little more difficult to get into the trunk.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-01-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
Locking the lever would make it a little more difficult to get into the trunk.
"Little more" is correct. I had a 1992 Civic EX (best handling Civic ever made!) and kept the trunk locked. Some crackhead in DC broke into my car, used his hand to force the lever up (even though it was "locked"), and took my business school books out of the trunk. They were worth $300. Bought them back at the local pawn shop/book store for $25 three days later.

On a positive note: Many car break-ins that summer of 1996. A group of "8th and I" U.S. Marines lived across the street from me. They invited other Marines over and set up a surveillance watch every night. On the third night, caught the offender, beating the heck out of him. No more car break-ins that summer.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
post #13 of 16 Old 08-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
It allows you to lock the trunk and give a valet driver your valet key so they cannot steal items out of your trunk. The valet key cannot open the trunk or unlock the trunk release. It can only unlock the door and start the engine. It also makes it harder to steal items out of your trunk if someone broke into your car. Your trunk does not have a key-lock to break out and force open. If someone broke into your car, they can pull the release and take anything out of your trunk. Locking the lever would make it a little more difficult to get into the trunk.
That makes perfect sense
post #14 of 16 Old 08-01-2013, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Garage
Wow! Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I have tried locking and unlocking it and it still is jammed in both positions. Also, I took that plastic piece off, and removed a screw, but I would have had to pull way to hard to remove it, and I honestly though I would break it. I will try to remove it again now, and will post if anything come up.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-01-2013, 02:36 PM

Interesting in the first picture- the blue plastic cable cover seems to have four ridges there so that you can just pop it in the way you want it (tighter or looser).

Perhaps over time, the cable should be moved down or up one ridge to compensate for loss of lube?

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.