Gates Timing belt kit from Rockauto any good? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 07-14-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Gates Timing belt kit from Rockauto any good?

My timing belt replacement interval is closing in and I'm going to be ordering the kit this week. I've used Rockauto for suspension parts before which turned out okay, but I've been eyeing this Gates Timing Belt Component kit for $143.99. Has anyone else used this brand for their timing belt service? It's a good deal and I'm definitely considering it I'm just scared it may be too good a deal and my valves will pay

Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 07-14-2013, 02:41 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andetheninja View Post
My timing belt replacement interval is closing in and I'm going to be ordering the kit this week. I've used Rockauto for suspension parts before which turned out okay, but I've been eyeing this Gates Timing Belt Component kit for $143.99. Has anyone else used this brand for their timing belt service? It's a good deal and I'm definitely considering it I'm just scared it may be too good a deal and my valves will pay
I don't know but I will be watching this thread veru closely cause 135k, I am in extreme straits.

post #3 of 51 Old 07-14-2013, 03:43 PM
4th Gear

same price on amazon. it really is a good deal.

post #4 of 51 Old 07-14-2013, 04:56 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Personally, I would rather have an Aisin kit (OEM parts) like this one.

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 15,000 miles so far
post #5 of 51 Old 07-14-2013, 06:12 PM
3rd Gear

Maybe try bernardi parts. It looks like its $210 from there and that includes all the parts.

Sent from
post #6 of 51 Old 07-14-2013, 06:30 PM
6th Gear

I guess the way I look at it. If it is a repair that I don't want to do twice.. Stick with OEM...
post #7 of 51 Old 07-14-2013, 06:49 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar526 View Post
Maybe try bernardi parts. It looks like its $210 from there and that includes all the parts.

Sent from
That kit does not include the tensioner or adjuster and idler pulleys. You have to decide exactly what parts you want to change, but I would change those too.

03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
post #8 of 51 Old 07-15-2013, 12:39 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszappa1 View Post
I guess the way I look at it. If it is a repair that I don't want to do twice.. Stick with OEM...
Not wanting to "do it twice" is putting it lightly. If it breaks prematurely, you're likely looking at an engine replacement or a major repair. This is not something I'd cheap out on. OEM or nothing.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 51 Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 AM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Honda doesn't make any of the belts in the car, nor do they make the water pump. So "OEM" is subjective. Hondapartsdeals lists the current timing belt for an '03 Accord Coupe V6 made by Unitta. They have two water pumps listed, made by Aisin and Yamada. Bernardi parts only carries the Yamada pump. So if someone were shopping at Bernardi, they would not know Aisin was an alternative manufacturer. I bought my timing belt kit with water pump from Rockauto as well, along with the serpentine belt.

I bought the same Gates Timing Belt 5-piece kit (TCKWP329), which includes the timing belt, water pump, 2 tensioners, and 1 idler. I paid $166 back in April 2012, so the price has gone down. Rockauto has the same kits made by Goodyear, DNJ Engine Components, AC Delco, Dayco, Aisin, and Airtex. I talked to my independent mechanic, who was also a high school friend, and showed him the parts before I bought them. He recommended them, and during my research to find them, Gates was also recommended here on DA. Can't find the old DA link anymore. The Gates serpentine belt is part number K060841 on Rockauto. That should be replaced as well since you have to remove the serpentine belt anyway. My mechanic could not beat the parts price from Rockauto since they buy in bulk, so I bought the parts from them and he did the labor for me.

I drove the Accord for about 24,000 more miles over a 15 month period, after the timing belt and water pump were done. I had no problems at all. Sold the car last week. So I would recommend the Gates kit. Why pay more when Honda uses multiple vendors for those types of parts?
post #10 of 51 Old 07-16-2013, 06:31 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I assume that Honda picks the best suppliers for use as OEM parts. I also think Honda tested these engines using the OEM parts from those selected companies. Are the parts in the Gates kit just as good, or maybe even better? Who knows for sure? I want my Honda to stay as much Honda as I can keep it. If I wanted my Honda to turn into a Chevy, I would have bought a Chevy in the first place and saved some $$$. Maybe I put too much faith in Honda, but I've been driving them since 1991, and I'm well satisfied with the results.

post #11 of 51 Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
Honda doesn't make any of the belts in the car, nor do they make the water pump. So "OEM" is subjective.
OEM = what is sold to you by the dealer. The last thing they want to do is replace an engine. Yes, If you can find the same part and manuf for cheaper, go for it. Just don't buy an aftermarket timing belt just because it's cheaper. It's too important a part. Furthermore, OP, if you're trying to buy a part and let a mechanic do only the labor, don't. You'll have little recourse if something goes wrong. Let them supply the part if that's the case.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #12 of 51 Old 07-16-2013, 07:20 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew03Accord View Post
OEM = what is sold to you by the dealer. The last thing they want to do is replace an engine. Yes, If you can find the same part and manuf for cheaper, go for it. Just don't buy an aftermarket timing belt just because it's cheaper. It's too important a part. Furthermore, OP, if you're trying to buy a part and let a mechanic do only the labor, don't. You'll have little recourse if something goes wrong. Let them supply the part if that's the case.
I want the best dealer's mechanic if I go to the dealer and get it done right and warrantied. So what if they "screw" you on a TB job right? Quite possibly more reliability in the install.
post #13 of 51 Old 07-16-2013, 07:22 PM
BRWNFLSH now

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. It does not mean Honda made the parts. Who doesn't know that? But I guess if you are going to sell the car soon after it doesn't matter what parts you use. You can tell the buyer that the timing belt job was done, and leave out the fact that you used the cheapest parts you could find.

post #14 of 51 Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 PM
4th Gear

Just because it says OEM doesn't mean you can't get the SAME exact part from the manufacturer for much cheaper. I mean you could get a GATES timing belt from Honda for the same price as getting the Gates timing belt kit.

I mean it's like getting an APtech windshield and then a Honda Aptech windshield. At the end of the day, is it really worth that pretty penny just because it comes from a Honda bag?
post #15 of 51 Old 07-17-2013, 03:09 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I don't think Gates is OEM. Unitta or Mitsuboshi is, which was my point.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.