Clicking/Fluttering sound under dashboard/steering column - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old 07-08-2013, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Clicking/Fluttering sound under dashboard/steering column

Hello all - looking for some help on a strange clicking/fluttering sound I can hear around the dashboard/steering column area in my 04 Accord V6. It's an intermittent sound, comes and goes on its own. Turning the air completely on/off seems to make no difference, nor does turning the steering wheel or adjusting the tilt on the steering column. It's also not related to engine RPM.

I did a bunch of searching, but am having trouble finding anyone who was able to clearly identify or solve the problem. I did find this link which has a video and has the same noise recorded that I am experiencing:

Someone on that other forum indicated it could be the air mix motor cycling or hunting. But with the air turned off, I can still hear the noise which is very strange. Would the air mix motor keep cycling even with the air off?

Any ideas?

Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM
4th Gear

same happened to me couple weeks ago for the 1st time, happened 2 or 3 more times since still really annoying, might do this if it continues...

2004 Accord Sedan CM6 (daily) Graphite Pearl
Koni Yellows/Tein H-Tech Springs. Hood Bra,Splash Guards,Deck Lid,Weather Mats,Sunroof Visor,Fog Lights, Hybrid Mirrors <-All OEM. TL-Type S F/RSB's, Mugen Door Visors, Yakima Roof Rack w/Raptor Attachment X2, 08 TSX wheels(Winter) 6-6-6 Wheels (Spring) Evo X wheels (Summer).
1990 Accord Coupe CB7 (project) Charcoal Granite Metallic

H22 Swap, Skunk2 Springs on Koni Str.t, Rear Disk Swap, Fog Lights, 92-93 Sedan Trunk Conversion, 02 Accord Rims
post #3 of 54 Old 07-09-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I believe it is the air mix motor (or similar part), on the drivers side, just above the gas pedal. There are no panels covering it. If I look down there, I can see the parts moving and rattling. I shot a video but I'm not sure how to post it...

I could also recreate the problem by just playing with the temperature control. In the morning, it makes the noise with the knob set around 70 deg or so. Later in the day, you have to turn it up hotter (80 or above) to make it do it again. I imagine it's all part of the automatic temperature control, as it is balancing the flow to achieve the desired cooling.

I will pull the part out and investigate further when I get some time, doesn't look too hard to get to.

post #4 of 54 Old 07-10-2013, 07:37 PM
6th Gear

Does this sound like the noise you're hearing?

Can anyone help identify this noise?

2006 Accord EX-L Navi 5MT, Graphite Pearl
2006 Accord EX sedan 5AT, Taffeta White - RIP
post #5 of 54 Old 07-10-2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
Does this sound like the noise you're hearing?

Can anyone help identify this noise?
It does sound a lot like that. Get down low and look under the dash, just above the gas pedal and you will see the box and the levers etc. attached to it. I could see the levers moving and hear the sound.

When mine is making the noise, I can make it stop by adjusting the temperature knob. Then I can make it start again by going back to the previous setting.
post #6 of 54 Old 07-10-2013, 07:48 PM
6th Gear

Interesting. I was thinking of asking a Honda person next time I take it in for an oil change. Should be a week or so now, maybe.

Just curious, are you from Texas?

post #7 of 54 Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Ok, I uploaded a video to youtube; not the best quality but gives a good visual and audio of the sound:

post #8 of 54 Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Mike

The Air mix motor is a servo circuit and has positional feedback to the HVAC controller. If the position sensor is mechanical and dirty or there is a problem like binding causing the motor to not reach the required position then it's possible that the motor would be constantly trying to reach the correct position causing a clicking or rattling sound. IMHO the link in post 2 would be the low cost solution for this and the one to try before going to the expense of a new unit.

04 - V6 Auto Luxury Accord (Thail build).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Itís easy to be NASTY - Sometimes it takes a little more effort to be NICE.
post #9 of 54 Old 07-11-2013, 07:01 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTbrian View Post
Ok, I uploaded a video to youtube; not the best quality but gives a good visual and audio of the sound:

Thanks a bunch for your previous posts and the video. My 2004 EX-L I4/5AT is making the same noises. I have noticed that the noise subsides when the system is running in recirculate mode (normally when you first start the A/C on a hot day or turn the temperature setting down) and picks back up when the system switches to allow outside air in the cabin (after it has cooled a while or when you turn the temperature setting up). This would seem to be consistent with the behavior noted in earlier posts. I have not yet gotten under the dash to look at the unit while it is making the noise, but I will be doing that today.

I am definitely in favor of finding a solution that does not require the purchase of a new air mix servo/motor. Thanks again...
post #10 of 54 Old 07-12-2013, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

So I tore into it last night. I pulled out the air mix motor and took it apart. I believe the culprit was grease that had contaminated the large wheel (see pic below). The module and all the gears sit vertically in the vehicle, so I bet over the years grease from the teeth has probably dripped down onto the electrical contacts on the wheel. I think my worm gear was fine, as it had hardly any lateral movement, unlike the post on the other website and the youtube video.

So I cleaned up the wheel with some cotton swabs, put everything back together, and now it seems to be working fine. I couldn't recreate the clicking noise last night or this morning. I cycled through the whole temperature range, and the motor was making it's adjustments, but the clicking sound never occurred.

It was a little tricky getting the module out and taking it apart, so I will try and post some tips and more pictures from my experience in case it can help anyone.
Attached Images
post #11 of 54 Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 AM
6th Gear

Thanks. Just curious, if I take this off to work on it and get in a bind, would I still be able to drive around with my a/c on? Today's my only day off until I start vacation next Saturday and I'm going to be pretty busy today, but I may be able to work on this after work or something.

post #12 of 54 Old 07-12-2013, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
Thanks. Just curious, if I take this off to work on it and get in a bind, would I still be able to drive around with my a/c on? Today's my only day off until I start vacation next Saturday and I'm going to be pretty busy today, but I may be able to work on this after work or something.
Not sure. My only worry would be if the mechanical parts still on the car move around or something and make it hard to re-install the motor later on. They shouldn't move, because the motor would no longer be connected, but I don't know. It took me less than an hour total to pull it out, clean it up, and re-install.
post #13 of 54 Old 07-12-2013, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Okay, here's some instructions.

First, you need to remove the black shroud/cover above the gas/brake pedals. There's a plastic/rubber peg on the right of the cover, located just below the air mix motor. Just bend the shroud outwards until the peg pops out of the groove (see pic below). There's also a similar connection at the back/center of the cover, right above the pedals. Just pop it out also (see pic below). Now the hard part: the top part of the cover, where it connects just under the steering wheel, is kind of a pain to remove. I just pulled firmly on it, kept pulling, and pulling, and pulling, until it finally popped free. I did not twist or wrench on the cover while pulling, just tried to pull it out straight (pulling towards the front of the car). There's some plastic clips under there that hold it in place. One of them popped off the cover, but it just snapped right back on. Then you can get that dang cover outta there!
Attached Images
post #14 of 54 Old 07-12-2013, 08:24 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTbrian View Post
Not sure. My only worry would be if the mechanical parts still on the car move around or something and make it hard to re-install the motor later on. They shouldn't move, because the motor would no longer be connected, but I don't know. It took me less than an hour total to pull it out, clean it up, and re-install.
Ok, I may just wait until I go on vacation. Aside from the noise, I think everything's functioning properly, although it does seem like it's not cooling as efficiently as my previous '06 Accord.

post #15 of 54 Old 07-12-2013, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Okay, now you can get to the air mix motor assembly much easier. There's a green electrical connector on the back side of the motor, I just reached back there, pinched the tab on the connector and removed it. The cable then just drops out of the way. If you can't get it to unplug, I'm sure you could just unplug it after you unscrew and remove the motor assembly.

There's 4 screws you need to remove, shown in picture below. Two are on the unit itself, and the other two are on the metal bracket. The bottom 3 screws are easy to get to but there isn't much room to fit a screwdriver in there for the top one. I had to use a mini screwdriver but it wasn't a big deal. As you can see, there is a 5th screw at the top of the metal bracket, but I had no way of getting to that one, but it doesn't matter. After you get the 4 screws out, you can pull the metal bracket out just a little bit, then pull the motor assembly out. Just pull it out carefully away from the mechanical slides, it will come right out no problem.

Attached Images
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.