Clock Spring Replacement? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-01-2013, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Clock Spring Replacement?

My brother's 06 Accord may need a new clock spring. I searched the forums and could not find a DIY with pictures showing how to replace one.

Is this a safety issue driving with a broken clock spring? I don't know too much about them.

Thanks...

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2l90e View Post
My brother's 06 Accord may need a new clock spring. I searched the forums and could not find a DIY with pictures showing how to replace one.

Is this a safety issue driving with a broken clock spring? I don't know too much about them.

Thanks...
It governs your air bag deployment, so yes, it is a safety issue. I have replaced them in other cars before. The scary part is praying the air bag does not deploy when you are removing the steering wheel.

I do not know the procedure for Hondas.....

Anyone?

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
post #3 of 8 Old 07-01-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
It governs your air bag deployment, so yes, it is a safety issue. I have replaced them in other cars before. The scary part is praying the air bag does not deploy when you are removing the steering wheel.

I do not know the procedure for Hondas.....

Anyone?
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I would have the guts to attempt this job.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 PM

Disconnect the battery and let it sit for an hour....then no worries.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
post #5 of 8 Old 07-01-2013, 09:03 PM

It only needs to set for 3 minutes after the battery is disconnected. The clockspring has the wiring for everything electronic on the steering wheel so horn, airbag, cruise control, and radio controls are affected.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #6 of 8 Old 07-02-2013, 08:13 AM
4th Gear

I've done the job. I had to do it because I ruined the original one replacing my steering wheel. I yanked off the wheel with the cable reel still attached.

It is scary dealing with the airbag if you know what it is capable of doing. I let it sit for 30 minutes and turned the ignition to start several times after disconnecting the battery just to be safe and ease my mind. Wash your car or something in the meantime.

Download the Accord service manual found here. The procedure is on page 23-210. Honda refers to the part as a "SRS Cable Reel."

2006 EX Navi V6-6 Sedan
post #7 of 8 Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 AM

That's right! I seem to remember Princess writing that Honda is the only manufacturer that does NOT call it a clock spring.

Other manufacturers call for different times to wait after disconnecting the battery. It is always under 30 minutes but like you wrote, wash your car or something.

Like when I do something electrical in my house- I don't just turn THAT circuit breaker off, I do it in the day time and turn off ALL POWER to my home. Hey, it works for me....

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
post #8 of 8 Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

I was too scared to try this on my own......

I bought the reel on line and took it to the dealer to install.......$156.00 at the dealer
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.