How much should full brake job cost around? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
My First Post

How much should full brake job cost around?

I have a 2004 Honda Accord Ex V6 3.0L Coupe and have about 53,000 miles on them and I need to replace the pads and rotors all around how much should that run me for parts and labor or if I get the parts alone, I'm not trying to get super cheap parts either I would like ceramic brake pads all around and maybe some wearever rotors or maybe a better brand? Any suggestions? I also have 6 brand new Denso spark plugs but not sure if I should replace them just yet because I heard facory OEM Honda Spark plugs are good up to 115k? I do A LOT of city/highway driving.

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 04:56 PM
3rd Gear

tirerack.com for brake prices.

do not replace your plugs yet, you'd be wasting money.

post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 PM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,324 Posts
Welcome to the forums....

You can purchase 4 zinc-plated rotors (even cross-drilled if you wanted) and all ceramic pads for under $200 all the way up to about $1,000.

If you pay a garage, they will most likely mark-up the parts and charge you 3 hours of labor at a rate of perhaps $90 an hour.

You should get on YouTube and watch "Eric the Car Guy" and search his site for "brake job" or "Honda brake job". You will learn a lot.

I just did mine and wrenched it myself. Cost me under $200 for all four wheels.

Ummm, DENSO are original Honda spark plugs....members here take them out at 105,000 miles and they still look and function perfectly.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
144k miles (as of Dec '17)

post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 05:50 PM
banned

I just checked my files and I bought the following parts last month:

Duralast Gold rotors for the front and rear
Duralast Gold C-Max pads front and rear
3 cans of caliper paint (1200 degrees F, flat black)

I had my mechanic install all of the parts and replace all of my brake fluid with OEM fluid. The total cost was $377 (with installation and changing the fluid being $120 of that total).

Just to put it into perspective how much the "stealership" wants:

I looked back on the inspection paper they provided me when I took it to the dealer 2 months ago to get the coolant drained and refilled. They noticed my pads were getting low (2mm front, 4mm rear which I was aware of) and quoted me the following:

Replace brake fluid = $119
Front pads and turn the rotors = $189
Rear pads and turn the rotors = $135

Total = $443, which is $66 MORE than me buying the parts myself and having an independent guy install them. Plus, I got all new rotors, not crappy resurfaced rotors that have obvious reduced thickness and heat dissipation abilities. Side note story they were also pressing hard for me to fork over another $109 to replace my power steering fluid...I simply took it back 3 weeks later to get the PS hose recall done and they replaced the fluid then at no cost to me covered under the recall. It changed my opinion on this dealership in particular that the guy would try and get me to get the PS fluid changed on a Saturday (day they don't do recall work) when some or all of the fluid would have been replaced a few weeks later under the recall. This was all suggested to me mere minutes after he asked me if I was aware of the recall (I said yes) and asked me when I wanted to schedule to bring it in for the recall.

Moral of story - buy parts yourself that have a good warranty (like Duralast) and get an honest mechanic to install the parts. You'll save $$$
post #5 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,324 Posts
Excellent, informative write-up and a good moral to the story, Mike. And +1 for keeping good records.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 06:13 PM
2006 I4 MT

Disc brakes pads = 1 hour front, 1 hour rear
Rotor = 0.4 hour each rotor
Bleed = 0.7 hour

For the rear drum folks,
shoe replacement = 1.4 hour both sides
replacement drum .4 hour each side

2006 Accord LX Coupe I4 MT
post #7 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 06:32 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Excellent, informative write-up and a good moral to the story, Mike. And +1 for keeping good records.
Thanks Rick!
post #8 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 06:45 PM
4th Gear

Well I've said it on a couple threads but here is what I did. Keep in mind yours would be double my cost because I only have front rotors.
Like mike I use duralast. I purchased the original set of rotors and pads in 2011. Drove for two years exactly and nearly 53000 miles. Back side pads were worn and starting to get near the grinding stage. I keep maintenance records of everything in car so I can look pr have warranty receipts with me. Looked it up and it I was within the warranty for rotors exactly. Pads are lifetime. Technically 83.25 years in their system.
Anyways I repurchased since you have to bring old parts in and I only have one car. Went home. Changed them out without issues, then returned original parts and was refunded with no issues.
Purchase price in 2011 for duralast gold rotors and cmax pads was $129 this previous time it would have cost $139. But now I'm only down $64.50 per brake job. Either way it is super simple and requires minimal tools.

2005 SSM Sedan LX ;Matte Black Grille with black Emblem ;15% Tint all around ;12" Kenwood Subwoofer
Plasti Dip Black Badges ;Plasti Dip Hubcaps ;White LED Lights all around ;120 LED SMD switchback with Relay mod ;Custom 2.5" Cat Back Exhaust ;Fujita Cold Air Intake ;TSX Intake Manifold ;P2R Gaskets ;178,000+ Miles; Weathertech Digital Fit Liners
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.