Replacing the OEM Battery - Recommendations - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 03-06-2007, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Replacing the OEM Battery - Recommendations

Ok, Im thinking of replacing the OEM battery in my accord. Its an 04 I got in Sept of 03. It sometimes has a tough time starting in the cold and well I dont wanna it to crap out on me....id rather replace it before hand.

So can anyone recommend a quality replacement battery? I do not have a upgraded audio system..just need a regular batter. Im hearing cold cranking amps is the key to a good replacement? Is the OEM battery worth buying again?

Ken

04 EX V6 Sedan
Graphite Pearl
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-06-2007, 02:49 PM
OCD

OEM has been good to me, and if it does crap out prematurely it does have a 100 month warranty, I think past the first year or two they prorate the rest if it craps out.

Otherwise I've hear people really liking their yellow tops.

10 Civic Type S GT 1.8L MT I4
05 Accord Coupe LX-SE MT I4 Gone..sniff sniff
post #3 of 27 Old 03-06-2007, 02:51 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken972
So can anyone recommend a quality replacement battery? I do not have a upgraded audio system..just need a regular batter. Im hearing cold cranking amps is the key to a good replacement? Is the OEM battery worth buying again?Ken
OEMs aren't good in my experience, which is about the same as most cheaper aftermarket ones... usually around 4 years is typical. Do you have an I4? If so it's a group size 51R. If you have the V6 it's a group 35.

The group 51R batteries are only going to have 400-500 CCA, but the group 35 have a bit more (500-600 CCA is my guess). You can look at

If you plan on selling the car within 4 years, I'd go with either Costco or Walmart. If you want a battery that will last you 8-10 years, have much more cranking power, plus never having to worry about corroded terminals, buy an Optima battery. They cost somewhere around $130-150 and are debatably worth it if you hate getting surprised by a dead battery.

Since I have an '05 and it has occasionally cranked slow from day 1, I chose to upsize to a group 35 optima red top which has approx 700 CCA. I had to order about $20 worth of parts for it to fit (batt tray, top bar). I recommend

I ordered my last optima from 1st-optima-batteries.com and they ripped me off... the battery wasn't new!!!

Durka Durka

post #4 of 27 Old 03-06-2007, 03:03 PM
It must be user error.

Send a message via AIM to mypp
the one time i had to replace my battery, i went with NTB's house brand (which i think is called exide now--it has changed names a few times). never any problems really..... a friend of mine went with a sears battery a few years back--also happy.

as for CCAs, i remember reading an article about more not always translating into better, but who knows

---------------------------------
White '06 Accord LX, I4 Automatic (vin-etched, 3M clearbra, front/rear bumper guards, splash guards)
White '87 Accord LX, I4 Automatic (158.7K SOLD 7/1/06 ) :( :( :(
post #5 of 27 Old 03-06-2007, 03:08 PM
insomnia rules me :(

yellow tops are nice but a wast of money. you could get a battery with more cold cranking amps for cheaper. it would last just as long too. the only thing is the yellow top can mount upside down or sideways, but who cares in a normal car. unless you plan on flipping your car

97 2.2 SE Honda Accord has 218k
things to do list: lets just say long right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwcool
u kiddin me, mkiv's are the messiah, suffering for other cars so all the bastard children hondas can roam problem free, ignorant of the sacrifice all us dubbers make
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old 03-06-2007, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for all the quick responses! I do have the V6. The car was occasionally tough to start when new...but that seems to have faded away.

So if I got a Optima battery I would have to buy more parts inoder for it to fit properly?

My goal is to replace the oem before it craps out and get a good strong start every time.

04 EX V6 Sedan
Graphite Pearl
post #7 of 27 Old 03-06-2007, 03:24 PM

it should fit i am just saying that you can get other battery's for a lot less money, that will preform just as well if not better than a yellow top.

Quote:
u kiddin me, mkiv's are the messiah, suffering for other cars so all the bastard children hondas can roam problem free, ignorant of the sacrifice all us dubbers make
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 27 Old 03-06-2007, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks Steve...sounds like I want a traditional battery...any brand and model recommendations?

I appreciate everyone on this forum! It is about the only one where everyone is accepted. From the guy swapping out exhast systems to the guy simply adding an accessory.

04 EX V6 Sedan
Graphite Pearl
post #9 of 27 Old 03-06-2007, 04:22 PM

auto zone has some good battery's, and i think you can get up to a 3 year warranty on some of the duralast battery's, plus they will tell you what one to get and install it too. i had the duralast with the yellow top in my jetta and it was running a 1500watt rms phenoxgold amp, and a 720watt rms keenwood amp, just fine

Quote:
post #10 of 27 Old 03-06-2007, 10:01 PM
*KindaFondaHonda*

Haven't replaced the battery in the Accord yet, but in the Pathy we have, it was replaced last year with the biggest/best that Walmart carried. It works fine, and it has all the important features:

1. Most important: The full replacement warranty is key... 3 years or longer is the way to go. That prorated crap is worthless.

2. Make sure the battery has a fresh manufacture date. The code sticker on the battery you're looking at will tell the story there.

3. The sealed batteries are not as good long term as those that are semi-sealed. Periodic topping off with distilled water helps prolong the battery's life. Sealed batteries can never be topped off.

I consider batteries a cheap replacement item. It doesn't bother me in the slightest to replace one every 4 years or so. Both of our cars have so many delay lights/courtesy lights inside and out, it's a miracle the battery lasts as long as it does.

DA Member Since 2005
Current Original Owner(s) of:

-- 2010 Infiniti M35 -Advanced Tech. Liquid Platinum Pearl (Mine) --
-- 2013 Infiniti QX56 Touring/Theater/Tech. Dark Currant Mica (Wife's) --
**2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan. Desert Mist/Ivory (Now Our "Extra" Car)**
___ and... ___

-- 2013 MINI Cooper Countryman Turbo S. Blazin' Red/White (Daughter's) --
-- 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE. Merlot Pearl (Son's) --

------------
Our Westie is smarter than your "Honor" Student!
post #11 of 27 Old 03-06-2007, 10:26 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken972
Thanks for all the quick responses! I do have the V6.So if I got a Optima battery I would have to buy more parts inoder for it to fit properly?My goal is to replace the oem before it craps out and get a good strong start every time.
If you buy a group 35 it is an exact fit for the v6 (I had to order the v6 battery tray for mine because I have the I4).

The optima basically kicks every other battery's rear. They commonly last more than 2x as long as standard lead-acid batteries and they have way more power. One of the reasons I also like the optima is that they never seep acid which eats the terminals/cables like cheap aftermarket batteries. The rating on the 35-910 optima (the I have and you want) has 910 cranking amps at 32 degrees or 720 at 0 degrees (CCAs).

Here it is:

I ordered from Remy a few years back... the item was perfect, in oem shrinkwrap inside of expanded foam inside a box! Overkill shipping=awesome.
Anyway, good luck.

Durka Durka
post #12 of 27 Old 03-06-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordexlv6
Haven't replaced the battery in the Accord yet, but in the Pathy we have, it was replaced last year with the biggest/best that Walmart carried. It works fine, and it has all the important features:

1. Most important: The full replacement warranty is key... 3 years or longer is the way to go. That prorated crap is worthless.

2. Make sure the battery has a fresh manufacture date. The code sticker on the battery you're looking at will tell the story there.

3. The sealed batteries are not as good long term as those that are semi-sealed. Periodic topping off with distilled water helps prolong the battery's life. Sealed batteries can never be topped off.

I consider batteries a cheap replacement item. It doesn't bother me in the slightest to replace one every 4 years or so. Both of our cars have so many delay lights/courtesy lights inside and out, it's a miracle the battery lasts as long as it does.
what he said will work
wallmart autozone any place like that i just say autozone because they are a lot more help than wallmart, and will install it for you if you don't want to do it. i just assume doing it myself because of my amp wires.

Quote:
post #13 of 27 Old 03-06-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA05LXDriver
They commonly last more than 2x as long as standard lead-acid batteries and they have way more power.
no they don't have way more power, you can get a normal battery that has a lot more power. and yes they can last 2x longer than a normal battery but they are 3x the price. i would rather have a new battery every 3 years than have one for 6. they are not worth it unless you need a battery that can get beat around like in dirt track racing.

Quote:
post #14 of 27 Old 03-06-2007, 10:39 PM
4th Gear

my car is only 7 months old and it's barely starting even during mildly cold weather (i live in texas). do autozone and them carry these optima yellowtops? and what's a good price for them?

and how do i install? do i just remove my current terminals from the battery and stick em on my new one?

Inspire-ish fogs shrouded by color matched mesh, Roof lip spoiler, Fujita CAI, Neuspeed Strut bar, TL wheels, TSX exhaust tip, Black painted calipers, White LED interior
post #15 of 27 Old 03-06-2007, 10:48 PM

yes auto zone sells them for around $190 i think, and they can install it for free.
(i would go to there site but it is down right now.)

but yes all it is unbolting the battery (all cars have there own ways of strabing them down) remove the current terminals from the battery and sticking them on the new one, then bolting/strapping it back down.

also if your battery is only 7 months old something is wrong.
your terminals might be corroded (hope i spelled that right) and just need to be cleaned.

where in Texas do you live?

Quote:
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.