Low stereo sound using aux and mp3 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 07-27-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
My First Post

Low stereo sound using aux and mp3

Hey,

I have a Sony mp3 player, and I'm using a 3.5mm cable to connect it to the car through the AUX input. I turned the volume up all the way on the mp3, and all the way up on the car (volume 40), and it sounds as if I'm listening to the radio at volume 10. Any solutions?

Thanks

Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-27-2010, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

strange. i use my iphone 4 all the time via aux. i usually have my iphone at 80% volume and the car volume at 6-10, not unless i want it extremely loud and go up to 15. make sure all wires are connected properly and not loose. try it on another mp3 player. if both of those fails, maybe you have a bad aux cable

post #3 of 25 Old 07-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Where to start???

its a long shot but check to see if your mp3 player has a setting in the menu about "line out" sound or volume or something like that. Otherwise try it on another car if you can, and see what happens in that one.

09 BBP Coupe V6 MT

Takeda Short Ram Intake
Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
Unorthodox Underdrive Crank Pulley
20% Tint F/R/B
OEM Interior Illumination
V-LED Blue LED interior lights, White license plate light
DDM Tuning 35W 8000K HID's
Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog Lights/Arctic White DRLs/HIs
2010 Acura TL Shift Knob
Redlinegoods shift boot/ebrake boot
TSX 17mm Rear Sway Bar
"Mugen" Coupe Grille
HITTMAN inspired lower grille!! (Thanks Todd!)
P2R Throttle Body Spacer w/Gaskets

post #4 of 25 Old 07-27-2010, 10:40 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to zZz LoNeLy zZz
I'm thinking it depend on the quality of the music. I have a Sony mp3 player also running through AUX and certain song play low while some bump. I tend to keep my car volume under 14, 8 is always perfect for me with the mp3 player volume set to max. Playing CD or MP3 cd, the music are much louder. Don't know whats wrong with it either but jumping in to see if their is a solution.

XBL: zZz LoNeLy zZz
PSN: zZzLoNeLyzZz
post #5 of 25 Old 07-28-2010, 06:45 AM
4th Gear

Using AUX is a low quality sound option. On any mp3 device, the 3.5mm jack is best suited for headphones and you can't expect it to do much better when plugged into a real stereo. For you, it shouldn't be as bad as you say it is though. Might be a bad cable or it might be you have low quality audio files on your player. Your better sound option is to use a line out if possible with your device to get better sound quality. For example, on an iPod, line out is the bottom (dock) connection.

2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6
Full HFP Lip Kit | Odyssey Lower Grille
ATLP J-Pipe & Test Pipe | Magnaflow CBE (with resonator delete)
5000k HIDs | Hoen Endurance Fogs | Interior & License Plate LEDs
Honda USB Audio Interface | WeatherTech Digital Liners
Crosstour Wood Grain | OEM Center Console Tray & Mat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 Old 07-28-2010, 08:01 AM
Low Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atk2008 View Post
Using AUX is a low quality sound option. On any mp3 device, the 3.5mm jack is best suited for headphones and you can't expect it to do much better when plugged into a real stereo. For you, it shouldn't be as bad as you say it is though. Might be a bad cable or it might be you have low quality audio files on your player. Your better sound option is to use a line out if possible with your device to get better sound quality. For example, on an iPod, line out is the bottom (dock) connection.
This pretty much sums it up. I have both an iPod Touch and and Panasonic MP3 player. The iPod sounds better and with better output on the same songs.

The Panasonic (model that I have) just can not push that hard. It sounds flat, etc, etc, and I have to turn it way up. With the iPod Touch, it's pretty much at the same level as the radio. With a headset, both are equal.

I would also check how are the songs ripped on the PC. Win Media player have different settings (quality). I did not pay attention before, so some of my songs are at different "volumes."

2016 Accord EX I4, 2010 Accord EX-L V6, 2017 Accord Sport
post #7 of 25 Old 07-28-2010, 04:37 PM
8th Gen Audio Expert

Send a message via AIM to JamieJam1AIM
check the levels on the MP3 file they may be recorded and set low... do yourself some justice and get an ipod and the usa spec integration kit!

"The Black Widow Accord" SOLD!!!!!!
"Team Hybrids" Hybrid Audio Technologies & JL Audio Sponsored Sound Quality Competitor.

2011-12-13 IASCA Amateur "North American Champion"
2011 IASCA Amateur Sound Quality, (RUNNER UP)"North American Championships"
IASCA 2012-13 Spring Break Nationals SQC Amateur Champion
IASCA 2011-12-13 Spring Break Nationals Install Amateur Champion
2012 IASCA Competitor of the Year
2012 IASCA Triple Crown Champion
Mods:
Full S/Q Competition AudioSystem
post #8 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 11:35 AM
2nd Gear

I had the same issue as OP. Ended up getting the iPod integration kit and it sounds a ton better. A few quirks with it here and there but for the most part, I am happier.

Mike

2008 Honda Accord V6 AT W/Nav
post #9 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 11:52 AM
My First Post

Quite a few mp3 players simply do not have enough output voltage at the headphone jack to run an AUX input and most are quite a bit lower in volume than the radio or CD. You may very well need a booster such as:

Sound Shocker

FiiO

Boostaroo

Just Google “portable headphone amp” and you’ll find more information than you care to read.

BTW
The only reason to use the Headphone-to-AUX connection is a matter of convenience. You can plug any device with a headphone output into your radio/amp. Line output is going to be better sound quality and digital out is better yet. However both of those require dedicated accessories for each player type (model).
post #10 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

is your aux cable a "stereo" cable or mono? that will make a large difference. If you went to radio shack and bought the cheapest patch cable available you probably have a mono cable.. how many black rings on the connector plug in end?

2007 Accord Sedan EX-L V6
15% Tint all around
Wing Spoiler
Nokya Hyper Yellow Fogs
Led interior
35w 5000K Raptor HID Kit

Palm Bay, Fl
post #11 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Reverse Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Quite a few mp3 players simply do not have enough output voltage at the headphone jack to run an AUX input and most are quite a bit lower in volume than the radio or CD. You may very well need a booster such as:
Very true. When I use my iPod via proper connection it is loud and clear, but when I use my bold 9700 for pandora with a regular jack it is not loud at all, plus the quality is not there ether.

Just the nature of the beast.

2004 Accord CPE EX-L, k24a4 5-speed -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 MB C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan, M271 6-speed - CURRENT
post #12 of 25 Old 08-04-2010, 07:24 AM
1st Gear

Those with low sound from the new Sony walkman MP3 players lined into aux jack- I found a solution by accident. These MP3 players are known to have excellent sound quality with headphones. They have great sound chips with robust customization. But the sound is very poor when lined into the Accord's aux jack. Somethimes I have to place the car's volume from 30 through 40 to hear the music when driving in the freeway!?!?

I was driving home from work messing with the EQ on my E series Walkman MP3 player while my eyes where on the road. I went through defaults like jazz, rock, classical, custom, ect. ect. Anyhow I had the car volume on about 20 (sounding low) when all of a sudden the music became loud and clear Turns out I accidently choose "none" in the EQ settings. So now my car volume at 15 is better and more clear than before at 30. So those with Sony Walkman MP3's- switch your EQ to none or off and enjoy the music.

Tip: I turned off EQ on my MP3 player and used car's treble and bass instead.

2010 2.4L LX-P
post #13 of 25 Old 10-06-2010, 08:46 PM
3rd Gear

Sr to bump this thread, and being a little bit off topic, but I don't want to create a new topic...
I have a bit problem with the stereo when listening to the radio. Normally, I can listen to mp3 CDs at 10 pretty clear. However, when I switched to radio, and turned volume up to 20 but the sound still really weak. So my questions are: Am I the only one experienced this problem? Where is the radio antenna so maybe I can do something to improve it?
Thanks
post #14 of 25 Old 10-07-2010, 06:39 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitandthink View Post
So my questions are: Am I the only one experienced this problem? Where is the radio antenna so maybe I can do something to improve it?
Thanks
No, you're not the only one. Mine does the same thing when I listen to FM.
The level that the MP3s were recorded at has a lot to do with it plus probably more signal/voltage from an internal source vs signal coming in from a distance.
The AM/FM antenna is in the back window glass on our cars.
post #15 of 25 Old 10-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Wisdom Born of Age

I had the same problem when trying to use my iPod from the headphone jack. Picked up an $8 adapter on eBay that both powers the ipod and has an audio out, sounds like a CD now.

2008 Honda Accord LX-P Sedan Taffeta White
  • XB35 4500K Morimoto HID
  • Morimoto H1 Retrofit
  • Ultra Racing Upper Strut Bar
  • TSX Rear Sway Bar
  • Spyder LED Tail Light w/Tubes
  • PUTCO LED Dome Light Kit
  • Chrome grill overlay
  • Odyssey Lower Grill
  • Stainless steel door sills
  • Crosstour Leather Shift Knob
  • EX-L "Wood" Interior
  • Llumar High Performance 35% Tint
  • Rear Lip

Squirrels ...............nature's speed bump
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.