Remote Start Install - Astrostart RS-625 + DBALL2 - 2011 Accord Sedan EX-L - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 03-16-2015, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Lightbulb Remote Start Install - Astrostart RS-625 + DBALL2 - 2011 Accord Sedan EX-L

Hey everyone, I just completed my remote start install on my 2011 Accord Sedan. The install went very smoothly following the instructions in the DBALL2 Install Guide for Type 1 (found here: )

Remote starts have been covered elsewhere so I thought I'd just give a brief overview and some tips and gotcha's I encountered. Full disclosure: I am NOT a professional installer, though I have installed several of these over the years.

Preparation
  • Spend a healthy amount of time going over your wires and your wire locations
  • The12Volt.com is a great resource for technical questions (thought some people can be condescending) and has a great list of wiring diagrams for almost any car:
  • I spent an evening cutting the wires I knew I wouldn't need, taping the ends and bundling wires that would be going to the same locations in split loom. It makes you install MUCH cleaner to do this before hand and it's easier route everything when it's bundled instead of a big mess of spaghetti
  • Learn how to do a splice without cutting the wire. Split the wire open after removing insulation from the middle and wrap your new wire through the hole: ()

Tools
  • I HIGHLY recommend soldering all of your connections, the thicker gauge wires take a little longer, but it's worth it IMO. I use a Weller/Portasol butane iron. It's cordless and ESD safe, heats up fast and can do the thick gauge ignition wires with out too much trouble. This is the specific Iron I used:

• Scotch Super 33+ electrical tape wraps all soldered connections and secures everything in place. The super 33+ tape also holds up well in cold weather without becoming brittle.
  • A SHARP utility knife. Splicing the wires and removing the insulation in the middle of the wire takes some practice and sharp blade. Sometimes the wires are too small of gauge and a regular stripper won't work.
  • A headlamp. Being upside down under the dash for a while while looking for a location to mount everything isn't fun, get a decent headlamp to illuminate things!

Gotcha's/Tips
  • My particular remote starter had 2 12v inputs. I assumed (incorrectly) that the second one was for Accessory 2 support which I didn't want/need. Without this connected, plugging in the DBALL2 resulted in no programming LED and also had the side-effect of just making my parking lights go on solid and having that annoying ding go off all of the time.. Turns out, on my remote start, this 2nd rail of 12v provides power to the DBALL 2 (among other things). As soon as I connected the secondary 12v (to the thick guage yellow wire by the driver's knee behind the dash) everything worked as it should.
  • Disconnect your negative battery terminal during the installation. It's pretty hard to screw up the car, but this is cheap insurance.
  • Practice your soldering skills on spare speaker wire, and try some thicker guage wires to get an idea of how long it will take to heat up the ignition wires in the car for solder to flow - it's longer than you think. I'm thinking the ignition wires in the car are 10ga, possibly 8ga
  • Trim all unnecessary wires, leaving about 2-3" at the brain just in case you end up needing the wire later. Wrap them in tape
  • Use 3m double sided padded tape to secure the bypass to the top of the brain. Pay attention to cable orientation as well so that any connections to/from the bypass to the brain make sense.
  • Tape your fuses in place! I've seen these little bastards wiggle their way out slowly over time (10 years) and then meltdown instead of blowing as the resistance increases as they wiggle out of their socket.
  • Here's a quick shot of my install prep (before the split loom was added to the main wire runs.

Keep things tidy!

Again, this isn't meant to be a DIY, just some pointers from some of the installs I've done. I'm happy to answer questions too, but I hope someone finds this info useful! Thanks guys.

Advertisement

Tags
electrical, parking lights, remote start, solder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.