TrendGear Fogs, ASM 8th Gen Sedan LX - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-22-2014, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
No lifetime fluids!

TrendGear Fogs, ASM 8th Gen Sedan LX

Finally got around to putting the fogs from TrendGear in my car. For the record, this is a 2009 ASM LX Sedan.

I was originally going to paint the bezel/trim body color but actually like the black. I think it breaks the front up a little. Being that the bezel is close to the ground, I think the black looks good. Higher up and I may think otherwise.

I ran all of the wiring next to existing wiring behind the bumper cover. Everything is super neat and secured with zip-ties. I did NOT use the wiring harness that came with the TrendGear kit. IMO it was a pile of garbage and I think may start an electrical fire when exposed to WNY winter weather.

For parts, I used:
(1) LightWerkz Morimoto Single Xenon Wiring Harness - Some have used LightWerkz harnesses, but have used the custom relayed ones that retail for $75. This one costs $35 and will work just as well with some modifications.
(2) Dorman H11 Headlight Socket
(1) TrendGear fog light kit for 8th Gen Sedan
(2) Sylvania XtraVision H11 bulbs -
I hate the blue coated crap that came in the kit and I don't want HIDs.

And Some Miscellaneous Tools/Parts
Misc. Wiring
Solder
40 watt soldering iron
Heat shrink tubing
Electrical tape

I cut the 9005/9006 connectors from the ends of the harness I received from LightWerkz. I then soldered H11 connectors in their place and made good connections with heat shrink tubing, electrical tape and plastic wire loom.

I have yet to complete the wiring, but I will be using an OEM fog light switch straight from Honda. This switch is the fog light switch that comes on the Honda Fit (waiting for parts to come in). I will also be using a piece of a fog light wiring harness that comes on the fog light kit for the Fit (basically the connector and wiring to the switch). It will sit next to the VSA switch using the provided TrendGear dash bezel - identical to how the TrendGear switch is mounted. I choose to use an OEM switch because the TrendGear switch has some real screwy circuitry. In that switch there is no difference between the 'night time' dash light illumination and 'fogs are on' light illumination. The switch just glows for both. The OEM switch will differentiate between the two (different illumination circuits) and should look a lot better.

There is more to come!
-I will probably tap into the VSA light 'dash light' illumination circuit to power the 'dash light' on this switch.
-I will probably supply power to the switch via a fuse tap which will allow me to turn the fogs on and off anytime the car is on. I could probably even run it from the same fuse tap that handles my radar detector. The switch doesn't really use much power. It is just being powered to then send an on/off signal to the relay.

I will put up some more detailed information, photos and diagrams when I complete this. Stay tuned!

'09 LX 5MT Sedan - ASM/BLK
V1, OEM splash guards, leather wheel,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'87 Regal with an LSx
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-24-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
No lifetime fluids!

First, I just want to say... It is a good idea to make sure your wiring is neatly ran and SAFE! The best way to go is solder and heat shrink. Wire loom too. It is good practice to run the wiring next to the OE places. Zip ties are your friend.

I did a 'trial run' of the fogs. I loosely twisted wires and taped the connections just to make sure the fog lights worked properly. Success, they worked great! I unhooked my rigged setup and went ahead and finished the wiring. Below is my wiring diagram. A nice thing about using this wiring harness from LightWerkz (besides the obvious quality advantage) is that each light is on it's own relay. In the event of relay failure, you would still retain the use of one light.

The Honda OEM switch I used is from the Honda Fit (for fog lights). I also bought a wiring harness that is used on the Fit. I only used a little portion of the harness (pigtail and connector) but I wanted a clean and detachable connector so I bought it.

The part number for the switch is: 08V31-SMA-0M035
The part number for the harness is: 08V31-TK6-10030

The pin out for the switch above is 100% CORRECT. Honda makes a few different switches that are similar. From what I've found, they are all a little different. So to re-iterate, this is the pin out for the 08V31-SMA-0M035.

Some notes or rambling on the LightWerkz harness.
When you buy the $35 harness from LightWerkz, you will have to do some modifications to make it work. But, they aren't bad and will save you some $$$. The stock harness is designed to run HIDs, so you will have two 9005/9006 connectors (one per light) that will need to be replaced with H11 connectors. You will also have a female 9005/9006? (I believe it's a 9005/9006 or possibly H11... it's the only female connector on the harness) connector. In a HID setup, this would connect to one of your headlight socket connectors to send an 'ON' signal to the relays (to then power HIDs) when you turn on your headlights. You will want to cut off this connector. The blue wire is your signal wire and the black is your ground. Besides that, the rest is cake. The fused wire is your positive wire that goes directly to the positive lead of your battery. Each fog light is grounded individually. You will see other cables grounding behind the bumper cover on each side. You can ground here. Other than that, its pretty straight forward.

The Switch
The switch is a nice touch for a clean install! If wiring the switch is a bit confusing, I'll go through on how to wire it. The Fog Light 'ON' Indicator Light Positive (+) should be wired to something that comes on with the key, this way, if you leave your fogs on and are oblivious to light... they will go off and not kill that 51R that you probably think is great . If you have a fuse tap in for a radar detector, you can put it on the same circuit. This needs some sort of positive. You could even run it straight from the battery's positive lead, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The Signal to Relay wire should go right to the signal wire of the relay. The Fog Light 'ON' Indicator Light ground should go to the closest ground.

For the Dash Light Illumination Ground and Positive (+), I'd recommend tapping into the wires that are currently feeding your VSA switch light. This way the dash light LED in this fog light switch will only come on when you turn your parking/headlights on and the switch should dim. I'll put a pin out up when I get some time to make another diagram.

So that's it. I hope this is clear and makes sense. PM me if you have questions. Now for some pics.

It's ALIVE!

Super messy and probably dangerous wiring test.

Switch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'87 Regal with an LSx
post #3 of 7 Old 06-21-2014, 06:05 PM
1st Gear

Can I get a pinout on the VSA switch? Copying this set up in my v6 bumper swap fog conversion

post #4 of 7 Old 06-25-2014, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
No lifetime fluids!

Update: My fogs are in and working great! I actually had to order another set from eBay and change one of the lights already thanks to a stone cracking the lens. Man these things are fragile. However, this time around, I wrapped them in 3M/Scotchguard film.

Here's how you hook the switch up to have night-time/dash light illumination.

If you bought the Honda Fit wiring
Connect the Red of the Fit to the Red of the VSA
Connect the Gray of the Fit to the Gray of the VSA

If you're just connecting/soldering pins
Looking at the back of the switch, with the indicator light at the top:
Connect the 4th pin to the Gray of the VSA
Connect the 5th pin to the Red of the VSA

Also, College Hills Honda shipped me my 3-hole bezel and blank a couple of weeks ago. Good job CHH, so stoked that it came.

Also, by trial and error, you cannot connect your gray/"ground" wire to a common ground. That will not work.

'87 Regal with an LSx
post #5 of 7 Old 04-07-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
No lifetime fluids!

Worth noting, if you're using a OEM Honda switch and want to keep your VSA switch, you will need to order the three bezel trim panel from a Crosstour. The Trendgear one will only fit one OE width switch as the Trendgear foglight switch is narrower.

'87 Regal with an LSx
post #6 of 7 Old 05-03-2015, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
-I will probably tap into the VSA light 'dash light' illumination circuit to power the 'dash light' on this switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat
If you're just connecting/soldering pins
Looking at the back of the switch, with the indicator light at the top:
Connect the 4th pin to the Gray of the VSA
Connect the 5th pin to the Red of the VSA
First, great write-up, very helpful, and it's the only post I could find online with a wiring diagram for this specific switch. Second, I drive a 2012 Civic Si, so don't hate too much (I used to have an Accord if that helps! haha)

My car doesn't have a lighted switch for the VSA, its just an on/off button.. Do you have any suggestions for how I could wire the illumination light since I can't tap into the VSA wires? Even if it doesn't dim, that would still be fine. I could probably splice it to the same fuse as the fog light 'ON' indicator, but then the illumination would always be on, even with headlights off.

Thanks!!

I'm looking to make my factory fog lights independent from the headlights so I can use them instead of the high beams as my DRLs.

Last edited by smitkea; 05-03-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added info.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-05-2015, 11:04 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitkea View Post
My car doesn't have a lighted switch for the VSA, its just an on/off button.. Do you have any suggestions for how I could wire the illumination light since I can't tap into the VSA wires?
I lied.. just went for a drive and noticed the VSA light is illuminated, just really dim so I hadn't noticed it. I'll be following this thread almost to a T then! Thanks again!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.