let see: your "other" cars - Page 3 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
10Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 98 Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 PM

Pray the 4.5/4.9 Cad motor doesn't lose a liner o-ring. That's got an aluminum block with cast iron heads and free floating liners. And external head bolts. A disaster in the making.

The coolant HAS to be changed at least every 2 years, with 2 flats (12 tabs) of GM coolant sealer cookies put into it. And add 1 flat of coolant cookies to it in between changes.

True, the Northstars aren't any better, but they made that thing MOVE.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Advertisement

post #32 of 98 Old 12-12-2012, 07:42 PM
6th Gear

Hey Fred, good to see you back on! I know the 4.5/4.9s fairly well, but have never heard of that issue...are you sure you're not referring to the earlier 4.1 (HT4100) version of this engine?
I did, however, know about the cooling system and the tablets. My parents had a 1990 Coupe De Ville (4.5) that they drove for about 10 years and 150k miles... the only major problem that they ever really had with it was the throttle position sensor. The 4.5/4.9 engines are very highly regarded on the Cadillac forums... they are notorious for going 200-300k+ miles reliably.

I won't touch a Northstar with a 10ft. pole, regardless of how fast they are when they run right... even the Northstar fanatics will tell you to stick with the 4.5/4.9s if you just want a reliable cruiser. I prefer the low end "off the line" power of the 4.5 anyway.

accordexlv6, that is a VERY nice SUV!! Congrats! Infiniti hasn't made an appearance at the Orlando auto show in recent years, so I haven't really gotten a chance to see their latest vehicles. How is the Pathfinder treating your son? My girlfriend and I have been looking at a 2003 Infiniti QX4 (Pathfinder clone) with the 3.5 V6 and 88k miles as a replacement for her Maxima. I have always admired this generation of the Pathfinder/QX4s.

1990 Honda Accord LX coupe
130,XXX miles

1989 Honda Accord LX sedan
186,XXX miles

1998 Lexus GS400
170,XXX miles

1992 Cadillac Allante
70,XXX miles

2013 Kia Optima LX
8,xxx miles
post #33 of 98 Old 12-13-2012, 11:29 AM
*KindaFondaHonda*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
What's that thing get about 10mpg city?
Gotta say though, I'd rather have an Escalade. Manly exhaust rumble unmatched by the Nissan engine and 100 years of GM truck-building behind it, the drivetrain will go on for as long as you care to own it.
Itís rated at 14/20 (thatís with a 400+ hp V8). Interestingly, our Pathfinder (240hp 3.5 V6 and some 1500lbs lighter) is rated at, I think 16/20, maybe 17/20. We got about 18 with the a/c continually on from May to November each year, a little higher when the a/c is off and the windows/moonroof open (November to April). If our QX56 gets 16 or 17, that might be about right.

On our list (wifeís list, mostly) of importance, mileage landed next to last, right before overtly loud/manly exhaust note. While we never considered a domestic product, I do know from a neighbor 2 houses down that his very new Yukon (big long one) has the third row seat bolted to the floor and does not fold up/down electrically into the floor (must be removed and stored). We will rarely ever use the 3rd row, so itíll be folded flat all the time, but if the need were to arise, the seat is always there in a pinch. Also, reliability is much poorer for a GM SUV product. We just really like Japanese made Infiniti products, their amazing service, and the dealer/salesman weíve bought from twice (in Sarasota). But to each his/her own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaHonda View Post
How is the Pathfinder treating your son? My girlfriend and I have been looking at a 2003 Infiniti QX4 (Pathfinder clone) with the 3.5 V6 and 88k miles as a replacement for her Maxima. I have always admired this generation of the Pathfinder/QX4s.
My wife mainly drove the Pathfinder up until about 2009 or so, and it was not nearly flawless, but completely flawless. My son, who is now in grad school, had also been using it during his undergrad years. It has continued to be flawless, needing only the 100K mile service a year or so back. EVERYTHING was changed/serviced that could be serviced, including differential fluid, but no timing belt (the 3.5 has a chain!).

To this day it starts, drives, and runs like it did when we bought it new. It probably now has about 112K+ miles, I donít know exactly since my son officially owns it (gifted it to him for his graduation present). There isnít a single squeak or rattle, and every feature still works. And it has never had a check engine light. I do know my son is driving it a lot less gingerly than we did, and not taking quite as good care as I did (hey, itís his car now, and his full responsibility). Still, itís a little painful to see it dirtier and not OCDíd upon. Will be interesting to see how it does solely in his care.

The only thing I would look out for on a used Pathy/QX4 (1996-2004) is a serious rust problem in the front left wheelwell that can occur. There is a serious recall. Our Pathfinder has never seen nothiní but Florida sunshine, and there isnít a single rusty nut or bolt on the car. When I looked underneath the whole SUV this past summer, the exhaust is still like new, and even the heat shields are solid as a rock. Gotta love Florida (non) winters!

But if a Pathy or QX4 has been driven up north in salty conditions, rust through is very likely, and the results are disastrous. So bad, that if you take the car in to the Nissan dealer to have it checked, and they find it rusted through, the car is immediately impounded, and a settlement is then tendered through Nissanís law firm. Some of the stories Iíve read online are not pretty. Go to NicoClub or do a search of the problem. If the Pathfinder has been a Florida/Sunbelt car, itís all good. Our Pathfinder wheelwell is spotless. But if the used one you might find is from a snowbird (Carfax its location history), check BOTH front wheelwells very carefully. Since youíre in Orlando, chances are good the car is fine. Just a heads up.

But as far as the VQ35, the transmission, AC, ESC, or any other mechanical bits on our Pathfinder, I canít be any more pleased after 10 years. Even the exterior and interior styling is timeless. Also, it tows up to 5000lbs and is set up to do so from the factory.

And it was built in Japan (next to the Maxima).

Good luck in whatever you two end up getting.

DA Member Since 2005
Current Original Owner(s) of:

-- 2010 Infiniti M35 -Advanced Tech. Liquid Platinum Pearl (Mine) --
-- 2013 Infiniti QX56 Touring/Theater/Tech. Dark Currant Mica (Wife's) --
**2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan. Desert Mist/Ivory (Now Our "Extra" Car)**
___ and... ___

-- 2013 MINI Cooper Countryman Turbo S. Blazin' Red/White (Daughter's) --
-- 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE. Merlot Pearl (Son's) --

------------
Our Westie is smarter than your "Honor" Student!

post #34 of 98 Old 12-13-2012, 12:42 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordexlv6 View Post
Also, reliability is much poorer for a GM SUV product. We just really like Japanese made Infiniti products, their amazing service, and the dealer/salesman weíve bought from twice (in Sarasota). But to each his/her own.
I don't think this is necessarily true for the full-size GM SUVs, which have long-standing reliability, right there with the Silverado trucks they're based on. My family has put about a million miles on full-size GM trucks and never once stranded (except for maybe the old beaters my dad had back in the 70's).

I think people give Japanese brands a pass on things, where with the same problems with a Ford or GM, they swear off that brand forever.

That said, like you, I tend to go with what I'm comfortable with, although occasionally I step out of my comfort zone. I bought a Honda for the first time, but I've owned other imports including VW, Toyota and Mazda. Yet, most of my vehicles have been GM, including my last one (a Chevy Colorado truck), and they've been incredibly reliable. My 2000 Camaro Z28 never once went in for any warranty repair of any kind, even after beating the heck out of it on the drag strip.

I tend to evaluate cars individually rather than by brand reputation, and I don't think that being built in Japan is a guarantee of better, although I have no issues with a Japanese-built car. Before this Honda I was strongly considering a 2012 Mazda3, which is built 100% in Japan and costs under 20k well-equipped!

Enjoy the ride!

2011 Accord EX-L (A5, Polished Metal Metallic) - Daily Driver
2001 Mustang GT (A4, Mineral Grey, factory Bullitt wheels, Flowmasters, CAI) - Weekend Cruiser
post #35 of 98 Old 12-13-2012, 04:13 PM

The 4.5/4.9 ARE longer stroke HT4100 engines. The blocks are identical. If you look from below, you'll see the head bolts running outside the block. They share all the same issues the 4100 did, just not quite as often.

I've never seen any of that generation of engine go more than 100k without liner, head gasket or intake gasket issues. And they leak oil like crazy. At least they didn't wipe main and rod bearings as often.

I worked at a Limo company with both fwd and rwd Cads of that era. These cars were run an average of 17-20 hrs a day, at 120k or more a year. All the fwd cars had engine swaps about every year and a half. (4100) The 4.5/4.9 maybe every 2 to 2.5 years.

The best thing GM ever did was put a small block in the big rwd cars. We never had a single failure of one of those.

The northstars, with their weak block castings that lose bolt threads, have all their own issues, and they used to leak oil like the Valdez. The whole sealing issue was fixed by Cad/GM dealer techs who got sick of pulling powertrains for lower engine block/bedplate reseals. GM then came out with a "procedure" to stop the oil leaking. But, unfortunately nothing stopped the thread pulling issue. GM has a very bad rep with anything they build with overhead cams.

On the unibody pathfinder issue, it's both front strut tower/wheel houses that have the issue up here in the rust belt. I've seen both where you can see though to the motor. The problem with these thing is, they rot from the inside out. So outside is not a good indicator. If it sees constant moisture, combined with dirt that can get into the cavity at the base of the strut tower area, the rust begins. I've seen Nissan's "fix" it's a joke, spray it with some plastic undercoating. We've had 4 customers lose strut towers through the hood. When the left one lets go, it jams the steering shaft, and you can't steer.
I've found them, reliability wise, better than the cars with the VQ engine, why they go nearly the life of the vehicle on timing chains, where the passenger cars (Alt/Max) eat chains and guides, is puzzling. 40,000 mile full chain jobs on the cars isn't uncommon. To do one properly the powertrain comes out from below. I've also seen a ton where they drink oil like it's going out of style. Usually at a rate of 2-3 qts a day, with NO smoke and no leakage. (again, only in cars and things like the Murano).

GM SUVs here, lose brake lines and fuel lines within 3-5 years in a 2002-2005 model. In 2006, they decided to fully armor coat the brake lines, but left the plain steel fuel lines.

The last 2002 Tahoe we did where I work, with all it's other issues, rust related brake and other safety related rust issues cost a customer just under 8000 to do. To do the brake lines the body comes off the frame.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

post #36 of 98 Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 PM
4th Gear

We don't have those rust issues here in Texas, but it's good info to know. You have a ton of knowledge!

2011 Accord EX-L (A5, Polished Metal Metallic) - Daily Driver
2001 Mustang GT (A4, Mineral Grey, factory Bullitt wheels, Flowmasters, CAI) - Weekend Cruiser
post #37 of 98 Old 12-13-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
You have a ton of knowledge!
This is an understatement. Fred is an invaluable member here.

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M
post #38 of 98 Old 12-13-2012, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

The M3 garage queen
Name: ImageUploadedByAutoguide1355459738.515213.jpg
Views: 934
Size: 55.5 KB
Name: ImageUploadedByAutoguide1355459750.053577.jpg
Views: 922
Size: 75.1 KB
Name: ImageUploadedByAutoguide1355459763.494861.jpg
Views: 912
Size: 65.6 KB
Name: ImageUploadedByAutoguide1355459772.578590.jpg
Views: 918
Size: 52.5 KB

The Accord and Pilot
Name: ImageUploadedByAutoguide1355459986.123855.jpg
Views: 947
Size: 68.4 KB

Not pictured is a 09 CR-V

Used to have an AP2 S2000...had it for three years and sold it with less thank 7k miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using

'05 BMW M3
'07 Honda Accord EX-L V6
'08 Honda Pilot EX-L Navi
'09 Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
post #39 of 98 Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Honda Racing Evolution

Quote:
I don't think this is necessarily true for the full-size GM SUVs, which have long-standing reliability, right there with the Silverado trucks they're based on. My family has put about a million miles on full-size GM trucks and never once stranded (except for maybe the old beaters my dad had back in the 70's).

I think people give Japanese brands a pass on things, where with the same problems with a Ford or GM, they swear off that brand forever.

That said, like you, I tend to go with what I'm comfortable with, although occasionally I step out of my comfort zone. I bought a Honda for the first time, but I've owned other imports including VW, Toyota and Mazda. Yet, most of my vehicles have been GM, including my last one (a Chevy Colorado truck), and they've been incredibly reliable. My 2000 Camaro Z28 never once went in for any warranty repair of any kind, even after beating the heck out of it on the drag strip.

I tend to evaluate cars individually rather than by brand reputation, and I don't think that being built in Japan is a guarantee of better, although I have no issues with a Japanese-built car. Before this Honda I was strongly considering a 2012 Mazda3, which is built 100% in Japan and costs under 20k well-equipped!

Enjoy the ride!
I think that Japanese brands have been soooo reliable for years that one or two cars that turn out to be unreliable won't hurt their reputation. Nothing is guaranteed in life, with that being said cars build in Japan are better and there many reason as to why they are better.

"I live my life in the fast lane"

"Put your two cents in, and get a dollar back"
post #40 of 98 Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
Pray the 4.5/4.9 Cad motor doesn't lose a liner o-ring. That's got an aluminum block with cast iron heads and free floating liners. And external head bolts. A disaster in the making.

The coolant HAS to be changed at least every 2 years, with 2 flats (12 tabs) of GM coolant sealer cookies put into it. And add 1 flat of coolant cookies to it in between changes.

True, the Northstars aren't any better, but they made that thing MOVE.
I was told in my yute that deionized water is essential on aluminum/cast iron matings to prevent the corrosion that takes place because the two surface materials don't play well together.

Regardless, those Allantes were pretty. More buttons than the space shuttle too.
FY0323 likes this.
post #41 of 98 Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 PM
6th Gear

I've definitely had a different experience with the 4.5s, but I understood the risk involved with buying a 20 year old car and am prepared to deal with any problems that may come along. For now, she runs very strong and smooth! The car has quite an extensive service history with a thick stack of service documents. Everything works (including the original factory CD player), though I think most of the problems that I might have with this car will be with the electronics moreso than the engine. In any case, I don't plan to use it as a daily driver... just a nice well preserved and rare piece of American automotive history to cruise around in occasionally on nice days with the top down. As much as I love and appreciate Honda's quality and reliability, I grew up as a young car buff in a primarily "GM" family... my parents and grandparents wouldn't buy anything but Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs (and a couple of Fords). My mom bought her very first "import" in 2006 when she purchased her Honda CRV. I believe that my attraction to them has a lot to do with the fact that they were such a significant part of my childhood. I learned how to drive in my parent's 1990 Coupe De Ville, so I definitely have a deep nostalgic connection to the Cadillac (which explains why it was probably the most money I've ever spent on such an impulse purchase). I will say that although I love the car for what it is, I wouldn't agree that it was worth the MSRP when new. There are a lot of nice details, materials (such as the Recaro leather seats) and an overall level of build quality that is many levels above what was typical for GM products during that time, but I don't think the car is as "nice" as it could've/should've been for the incredible premium that they were asking (especially towards the final years). I don't like how the convertible top operates... it's a manual top and overly complicated. Apparently, the competitors had a similar set-up. I also think that by the early 1990s, the car was long overdue for at least an interior update. They finally added a cup holder to the 93 models, but the dash design/layout, electronics and guage cluster still screamed 1980s... very "knight-rider" Kitt car esque. The rest of the Cadillac line-up had a much more modern theme by that time for a hell of a lot less money. Nevertheless, it's still a very well made and sharp looking car that has been a pleasure to drive...arguably one of the "coolest" Cadillacs ever made. I've been getting a kick out of people staring at it and trying to figure out what kind of car it is... I usually can't leave the gas station or a parking lot without getting stopped and asked about it.

130,XXX miles

186,XXX miles

1998 Lexus GS400
170,XXX miles

1992 Cadillac Allante
70,XXX miles

2013 Kia Optima LX
8,xxx miles
post #42 of 98 Old 12-14-2012, 05:31 PM

Look at that dash! Boy, that's a look way back. I worked for Pontiac/GMC/Buick at the time they were around.

You're very lucky everything works, hope it all stays working.

I'd bet it wouldn't have listed for so much back then if they weren't flying parts and bodies on 747s from here to Europe and back.

It looks like it's in remarkable shape for its age. Pretty much nothing survives up here that long unless it's unused and garaged.

post #43 of 98 Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 PM
6th Gear

<<<<Look at that dash! Boy, that's a look way back. I worked for Pontiac/GMC/Buick at the time they were around.>>>>

GM certainly had a lot of nice concepts back then... I remember the old Toronado/Riviera twins and the Reattas from that era. I believe the Riviera even had a full computer on the dash that integrated the radio/HVAC controls in a very similar fashion to a modern automotive navigation system. The digital guage clusters were also always pretty neat. These always seemed to be GM's experimental cars...the Cadillacs were never quite as fancy or 'techy' (and I think that is what I miss in the Allante). It's a shame that they just couldn't have built them better.

<<<You're very lucky everything works, hope it all stays working.>>>

You and I both! I'd much rather have to deal with mechanical problems than electrical... but so far, so good. Most of the electrical quirks were apparently ironed out by the early 90s, but it's still a 20 year old car with a lot of digital displays and buttons!

<<<It looks like it's in remarkable shape for its age. Pretty much nothing survives up here that long unless it's unused and garaged>>>

The car was originally bought and owned in Oklahoma. It was definitely garage kept most/all of it's life... but it does have 70k miles of normal (minor) wear and tear. It could use a good professional exterior detail, but is in otherwise mint condition. The original owner also owned the 93 Allante, but that one only had 32k miles.

ZeroTX, I've been utterly impressed with the LS-series V8 engines. We have a 2003 GMC Savana company work van with the 5.3L and that thing has been quite the work horse. I had to order a water pump for it recently, but it is approaching 250,000 miles. The driver has driven it since it was purchased new and he claims that it has never let him down. It still cranks right up and runs like new. My sister had a 2001 Tahoe with the 5.3L also and it was still going strong at 152,000 miles when it was totaled. My brother is still driving his 2001 Trans Am WS6 with the LS1 and just the fact that he hasn't yet blown the engine in it blows my mind. He has somewhere in the neighborhood of about 140,000 miles on it now, put on a quarter mile at a time. That poor TA has been ridden HARD and put away wet...and has been the only car able to hold up to it. He regularly drives it down here to Orlando from North Carolina to visit and it gets him here and back every time. He's also driven it from NC to Washington state (in record time I might add, lol). Early LS1s did have issues with piston slap and oil consumption, but were supposedly resolved by 2002. I've even heard of some isolated engine failures with the 5.3s... but not sure what that was all about. Maybe Fred can chime in on that. Very sharp Mustang, btw! The only Ford product I've owned was a 1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 (30th Anniversary) with the SOHC 4.6L V8. Had it not been rear ended and totaled, I may have very well still had it today... I have really missed it. I only had 114k on it, the 4.6 wasn't even broken in yet. But, then I would have never bought my 96 Accord and been introduced to the wonderful world of Hondas...

130,XXX miles

186,XXX miles

1998 Lexus GS400
170,XXX miles

1992 Cadillac Allante
70,XXX miles

2013 Kia Optima LX
8,xxx miles
post #44 of 98 Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaHonda View Post
I remember the old Toronado/Riviera twins and the Reattas from that era. I believe the Riviera even had a full computer on the dash that integrated the radio/HVAC controls in a very similar fashion to a modern automotive navigation system.
I remember my dad bought a 86 Riviera with the computer screen. Had the bose radio and vogue tires on it. It belonged to the dealer's owner and had a few thousand miles on it. Back then it was $28k. That was the last GM he owned. Not because of problems but because of the low resale. Tried to work a deal on a 92 Park Avenue and the trade in value on the Riv with 75k miles was $4k after 6yrs. It started to make a whining noise when accelerating and I thought maybe the trans was ready to die. He dumped it for a 92 SE V6 sedan Camry which had a very stiff ride compared to the Riv. The LE's have a much softer ride. Now my dad has a similiar computer screen in the 12 Camry and has had new Camrys every 5 yrs.

I was trying to talk him into a 93 Legend red coupe but noticed some bodywork on the passenger door by looking down the side of it. The dealer admitted it was at the bodyshop after scraping it while pulling into the showroom.

I remember in the early 90's my economics professor bought a new Allante. Prior to that he had a bunch of 911's and he grew tired of the long option list. He thought it was nickel and diming on the car. My friend and I asked him why he didn't get a NSX instead. His reply was he never heard of those before. I think he paid more for the Allante than what the NSX's were going for.
post #45 of 98 Old 12-15-2012, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

lovin' the clean analog look of that caddy. thanks for posting pics.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.