New member and first Accord/build thread - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
10Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 10-12-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

New Accord owner here. Name is Will.

Picked up my favorite bodystyle Accord, a 96 F22 SOHC/5spd, for $300.

Runs and drives, all gears work, needs a little TLC like any used car but I got a steal here.

Blown head gasket, BUT a "JDM" imported 55k mile engine is $300. It's got 223xxx on the clock, but I'm going to pull the head to see if it's warped, along with the block first.

I'm going to get the engine anyway, I'm not interested in swapping to a different engine. This is going to become the new DD so I can take my turbocharged 89 Camaro off DD status and finish mods and make new ones.

Bringing it home.

After a wash.

With the current DD.

The first repair.
Oil in the spark plug tubes.

Second repair.
Found after removing heat shield upon hearing the exhaust leaking.

So far so good. Going to take the head off next.

I'll post up a link to the Camaro build thread for those interested. I do just about everything myself.

Camaro build link below

Stay tuned for plans for the Accord. Super Stoked to have one for myself. I've worked on a 93 Accord with the same engine so it's familiar to me. That one is my Moms.

versedispersed likes this.

Last edited by wchiarizzio; 10-12-2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Link to Camaro build thread added.
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 10-12-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Here we go.

Got that 4th spark plug out. I discovered it was seized once you got about 4 turns on it. After that I discovered one lonesome new plug in the glovebox. Poor thing has had 3 plugs changed at least twice since that plug got stuck.

So I made a thread cleaning plug in the hopes I'd get lucky.

I did. While it did pull a good amount of thread out, it pulled the top side out and left the bottom somehow. I don't quite get it.

So I got it started, felt it cutting in, and it grabbed the lower half of the thread. I backed it out, cleaned it off (I put antisieze on it to grab the metal shavings), put it back in and it seals.

Cheap is the word as another engine is getting picked up in a few days hopefully.

There are a whole lot of funky things going on with this engine that try to steer me away from thinking it's a head gasket.

I mean don't get me wrong, crank it with the cap off and you get a geyser; clear indication of head gasket failure.

But there is no coolant flow. No air or coolant from the bleeder, the temp switch for the fans doesn't kick (replaced switch when I jumped it and the fans came on and still no dice). Air in top hose and bubbling (like overheating, or head gasket) in it as well. No bubbling into the resivior either. No heat, and no fans when AC requested. The temp door cable may be off, the knob doesn't work properly.

I'm thinking clog, stuck tstat, something along those lines.

Waiting for it to cool off and I'm going to drain it and do tstat and pull that housing off to check the bleeder.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

post #3 of 36 Old 10-22-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Got a used tail light on ebay for $29.

post #4 of 36 Old 10-22-2016, 04:42 PM
8TH GEN BELIEVER

It cleans up pretty good. Let us know about the JDM engine, I bought a transmission for my 03 Accord from them and it's good.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #5 of 36 Old 10-29-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Got a trunk full of goodies and more.

Going to pull the head soon and see if this engine is worth doing a head gasket for the time being.

enne likes this.
post #6 of 36 Old 10-29-2016, 06:54 PM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Good work so far. Looks like you've got everything under control.

If you ever wanna sell that Camaro, let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #7 of 36 Old 10-30-2016, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

The Camaro is my first car, so I'll probably be buried in it LOL. I'd take 10k for it. Honestly I've never sat down to figure it out, but I've got more in it than that I'm sure lol.

Thanks for the comments guys, good to have a second vehicle now. I like a little motivation to get me going so I like to see people popping in

Time to get some Call Of Duty in to unwind after work. I'm on ps3 and ps4 if anyone plays. PSN JusTokenII (ii)

Also, forgot to note.

I pulled the hvac panel to see why the temp knob didn't work properly. Once I pulled the cable end off the heater valve it worked properly, so I bought a new heater valve to put on.

Between working on the current DD, the job, and the girlfriend, I'll get to that head soon lol. I mean, it's not terribly difficult to pull at all, just need some ambition lol.

Plus I just had a thought.

The reason for lack of coolant flow, and the heater valve being screwed, could be clogs on the tstat and valve from head gasket sealer. I know it was used on the car for sure.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 10-31-2016 at 02:29 PM.
post #8 of 36 Old 10-30-2016, 06:29 PM
Cruisin'

Garage
wchiarizzio - Hmm what will get you motivated to pull the head?
How about: You can do it, we believe in you and we are eagerly awaiting your next steps! We are in suspense and encourage you to keep on going!
post #9 of 36 Old 10-31-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

The motivation is greatly appreciated.

The plan for tomorrow is;
02 Camry rear struts and radiator, and hopefully when that's done I'll at least get everything ready to pull the head.

Depends how I feel after moving around 1300 brake rotors today.

post #10 of 36 Old 11-03-2016, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Well here is how far I got lol.

Though for the record I had to fix the harness, hood release cable, and washer pump line in that wheel well cause the PO ran something over.

I discovered that what they ran over also took out the drivers side rack boot and the rack is leaking from that seal. The support to the quarter panel is also shredded.

I'm finding the little things as I go along and fixing them as I see them.

I ll start ripping some stuff apart on the top end today when I get home from work.

post #11 of 36 Old 11-04-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Well, slight progress and major motivation today. Title in hand and car is now in my name.

So the last thing holding me off from doing anything major is now taken care of. Now I can get moving!

Got the front coolant temp switch a new connector as the old one was MIA. Just the wire connectors on the prongs.

post #12 of 36 Old 11-09-2016, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Well the good news so far is that I just have to unbolt the intake, drain fluids, pop the belt off the cam gear then I can pull the head.

I'm finding all kinds of stuff. Like missing bolts and NO oring on the distributor. Pretty sure that's where all the oils coming from. You can see where it runs down the block.

More pics soon.

post #13 of 36 Old 11-11-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Well went to drain the coolant, pulled the pet**** out, and nothin. So clogged with sealer. Going to have to flush the hell out of it before I yank the head.

I'll do a standard flush, but I'll just pull the thermostat out so it doesn't have to be up to operating temp. I'll also use a really heavy concentration, or a really potent cleaning agent.

We will see what happens over the next few hours.

post #14 of 36 Old 11-12-2016, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Ok so it all added up. Picking up the JDM engine from Orlando Tuesday.

Also ordered an all aluminum rad and some new oem stock headlights.

That means I should have plates on it and be driving it within the next 2 weeks.

enne likes this.
post #15 of 36 Old 11-15-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

UPDATE!

98 f23a purchased. Sub 50k mile JDM.

Also got some goodies in the mail today XD

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.