Fog lights (H8 to H11 mod) - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Fog lights (H8 to H11 mod)

I had an extra set of H11 Siverstar Ultra's laying around so decided to see if I could modify them to replace the H8's in the fog light housings. This ended up being easier than I expected. They fit perfectly with only a slight modification -- and the difference in brightness was well worth the small effort.

The H8 bulbs are 35 watts with an unimpressive 712 lumen rating. The H11s are 55 watts with a 1250 lumen rating. Initially I was concerned about the wattage difference possibly causing the wiring or the fixtures to over heat. So I did a very low-tech test of running the lights for 30 minutes and then feeling around the back of one of the fixtures for hot spots. It was warm, but by no means hot. I now feel comfortable running these as I don't believe they will cause any harm to the vehicle. However, I'm open to advice from people who know more about automotive lighting than I do.

Below are a few pics that illustrate the process. I'll try to keep it short & sweet.

Name: 01.jpg
Views: 50066
Size: 298.5 KB

The top tab on the H11 needs to be ground down to match the width of the H8. The plug ends are identical so no mods needed there.

Name: 03.jpg
Views: 36934
Size: 191.2 KB

Use a crescent wrench to gauge the width of the top tab on the H8 bulb.

Name: 04.jpg
Views: 29940
Size: 189.3 KB

I used a vice with urethane jaw inserts to hold the H11 bulb. A Dremel with a small grind stone makes quick work of the tab alteration. Remove the rubber gasket to avoid damaging it, but remember to put it back on before installing the bulb!

Name: 05.jpg
Views: 27561
Size: 137.8 KB

Use the crescent wrench that you set earlier to confirm the width.

Name: 06.jpg
Views: 34729
Size: 275.3 KB

As usual the picture does not do it justice -- but you can tell that the H11 is quite a bit brighter.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BTNTX For This Useful Post:
BLouIsGod (02-04-2014), c-limaccord (10-03-2014)
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 04:12 AM
on2
banned

You can also perform a similar modification to a HIR bulb if you want to upgrade your high beams and stay with halogen.

post #3 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 04:36 AM
Out of Control

Two safety concerns with your increased fog lamp output:

1. When using the fog lamps in normal night driving (e.g., no fog), the increased light in the foreground causes your pupils to constrict, which limits your distance vision.

2. The increased glare from higher output fog lamps (particularly if not properly aimed) adversely impacts oncoming drivers' vision.

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM

post #4 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 04:41 AM
on2
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycar View Post
2. The increased glare from higher output fog lamps (particularly if not properly aimed) adversely impacts oncoming drivers' vision.
Except for these fog lights (sedan) and others due to optics. Many on here have tried HID kits which of course have light coming from a different point on the bulb/capsule and yet there is no glare. Not to mention the much higher lumen rating. So needless to say, the halogen mod the OP did will not cause glare.

The coupe is a different story and will cause glare.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 AM
Out of Control

55W is the same as the low beam. My MDX fog is 51W stock and a huge improvement over the 35W Honda Fogs. Nice mod. My question is was the additional 20W socket warmer than the stock socket? If taking a road trip for 8 hours would it get hot enough to be an issue-some air cooling while in motion would help.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #6 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by on2 View Post
You can also perform a similar modification to a HIR bulb if you want to upgrade your high beams and stay with halogen.

Thanks for the info. I've been curious about the HIR bulbs for a while. I may try this mod soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
55W is the same as the low beam. My MDX fog is 51W stock and a huge improvement over the 35W Honda Fogs. Nice mod. My question is was the additional 20W socket warmer than the stock socket? If taking a road trip for 8 hours would it get hot enough to be an issue-some air cooling while in motion would help.
Good question. I don't think there is a way to compare the two once the driver's side fog light is reassembled. As you well know, getting to the lamp on that side is a major operation. However I did compare the wiring to that on our Pilot, which uses H11 fogs. The wire gauge and connections appeared to be identical. I'll keep monitoring the connections and post an update in a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycar View Post
Two safety concerns with your increased fog lamp output:

1. When using the fog lamps in normal night driving (e.g., no fog), the increased light in the foreground causes your pupils to constrict, which limits your distance vision.

The gospel of Daniel Stern. Lots of good info there. This mod will not increase the light output to the point of being dangerous or obnoxious. In my opinion it just corrects a bad call by Honda and makes the fog lights more usable. There are also more bulb options for H11 than there are for H8.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 02-12-2017 at 03:00 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 AM
2nd Gear

can i ask what is the easiest way to replace ur fog bulb?

both from the wheel well? i've serach and read the air box gets in the way from driver side, how u overcome that?

thanks
post #8 of 15 Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznSupastar View Post
can i ask what is the easiest way to replace ur fog bulb?

both from the wheel well? i've serach and read the air box gets in the way from driver side, how u overcome that?

thanks
It can be a little intimidating the first time you do it. After you learn how the things are put together and held in place it's easy breezy. The passenger side is no problem. There are a couple of plastic pop rivets directly below the fixture on the underside of the bumper that hold a little flap shut. Remove them and just reach up and grab it. The drivers side (where the air box obstruction is) is a little more complicated. I did it exactly as the manual states and loosened the screw that holds the trim piece in place, then removed the assembly. This requires raising the front end a little via ramps or jack stands so you can get under the car to see what you are doing.

I've heard of other people partially removing the front clip to get to them. I wasn't comfortable doing that for fear of breaking something.

Hope this helps.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 PM
2nd Gear

thx i will give that a try. i miss the good old days like my 1990 accord where u don't need a 3 years old's hand to squeeze in to change a light bulb!
post #10 of 15 Old 04-24-2013, 12:51 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTNTX View Post
I'll keep monitoring the connections and post an update in a few months.
Any updates? I plan to convert the H8 fog lamps to amber H11 lamps on my 13 LX. I am curious to see how things worked out for others before I pull the trigger on this mod.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-09-2013, 03:12 AM
5th Gear

damn .. i really want to do this now. im trying to put some phillips extreme vision in my fogs.

2013 White Orchard Pearl EX-L V6 Coupe
post #12 of 15 Old 07-09-2013, 04:30 AM
1st Gear

If you really want to improve what you see in fog dump the white and go to a yellow bulb. The yellow color may drive the people in front of you crazy as they can be seen in day light at a very long distance but they light the road better than any white light with out all the glare you get from a white light bulb.

I have run a set of piaa h8 plasma ion yellow in some add-on fog lights for years on my motorcycle. can't be beet when you turn a corner and run into fog. Not cheap but work well and get your 70 watts output rateing from a h8.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-09-2013, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddman View Post
Any updates? I plan to convert the H8 fog lamps to amber H11 lamps on my 13 LX. I am curious to see how things worked out for others before I pull the trigger on this mod.
I have had no issues at all. I put in a set of LEDs for a few days to match the HID low beams. They made the fogs absolutely useless. I switched back to the H11s and with will be ordering a set of yellow PIAAs soon.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-09-2013, 12:41 PM
5th Gear

i hear PIAAs were a POS though :/ i thought about going this route as well with the yellow fogs. but i just ordered my yellow overlays.

2013 White Orchard Pearl EX-L V6 Coupe
post #15 of 15 Old 02-04-2014, 02:00 PM
2014 CBP CR2 6MT

Nice. I have some h11s laying around that I'll swap in. Thank you.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.