Using aha radio via Hondalink - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Using aha radio via Hondalink

It's taken me a bit to figure this out so I thought I would share what I know - the manual is pretty sketchy on this.

You need to download the hondalink app. Once downloaded you launch the app and click on the aha button. You'll need to sign up for an aha account - it's free. aha radio will launch with some stations already loaded - you can delete these if you wish. Scroll down to the bottom and click "add a station" to pick from the list of internet stations available.

Next - in order to get the stations to show up as presets on your audio console you have to touch the star to the right of the station name - it turns blue when selected and you should see it listed at the top of your phone under the "stations list.

Now to get it working with your car you need to launch the Hondalink app and select aha BEFORE PAIRING YOUR PHONE WITH THE CAR - otherwise it will not work right. At least that is my experience - I get a "loading" message that never goes away if I launch the app after the device is paired, and the presets never show up.

Once the car pairs with your device select aha as the source and Presto Magico you should be able to access all your starred (up to 16) stations as radio presets. You can access the list by pressing the menu knob and selecting station list too. You now have a full blown Internet Radio in your car - pretty cool!

Hope this helps - let me know I need to clarify anything.

Name: dash1.JPG
Views: 7797
Size: 166.7 KB

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdreibelbis For This Useful Post:
ducatiman (11-29-2013), internalaudit (11-08-2013)
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 10-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Out of Control

Great post and write up- I imagine data rates apply like Pandora.

I just got the iphone 5 and my grandfathered unlimited data plan went kaput when I did the upgrade-I now have 2G per month. Can always buy more gigs but if that is the case, FM will have to do. right now I use 0.8-1.0 so I have a big cushion to get to 2gig.

post #3 of 37 Old 10-04-2012, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
Great post and write up- I imagine data rates apply like Pandora.

I just got the iphone 5 and my grandfathered unlimited data plan went kaput when I did the upgrade-I now have 2G per month. Can always buy more gigs but if that is the case, FM will have to do. right now I use 0.8-1.0 so I have a big cushion to get to 2gig.
We're still grandfathered into the unlimited data plan but we don't stream much video (or audio up till now) so we hardly use much. It's nice to know it's not an issue going forward.

I just looked at the aha app and it shows I've streamed 72 megs since I started using it ( a week and a half) so I think you would have to listen to it quite a bit to really have any usage issues.

post #4 of 37 Old 10-05-2012, 04:45 AM
3rd Gear

Are you on ATT?

I just upgraded with 3 Iphone 5's and they grandfathered all my unlimited plans.
post #5 of 37 Old 10-07-2012, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

Not playing well with iphone 5

Ok I seem to have a problem with mine. I cant get pandora to load or aha at any random time, sometime neither will load. I can NEVER switch between aha, pandora, and iPod without having to unplug it or shut the car off and plug it back in. Sometimes I will play the iPod,by pressing the ipod button, and aha or pandora will play through it. Is anybody else having these issues?
post #6 of 37 Old 09-14-2013, 04:03 AM
1st Gear

AHA & Bluetooth don't work together

According to the Honda Audio techs AHA will only work with iPhone 5 with iOS Version 6. You must dedicate the USB port in settings. In order to load 16 radio station presets (stations selected in Hondalink) you must do the following:
Turn off Bluetooth
Connect Hondalink
Plug in USB cable to phone
select AHA app on phone
Select AHA in source on interface
Presets load and are selectable on radio. If you don't have an unlimited call plan be prepared for a large data bill.

I asked the tech why I can't pair Bluetooth in order to dial/receive phone calls. As soon as you pair Bluetooth to the car, AHA drops out and doesn't work while Bluetooth is selected. This defeats the whole purpose of hands free driving and listening to AHA at the same time.
Honda is waiting for iOS7 upgrade next week and will go through it to make any changes. They said customers will be notified when they access Hondalink online.
AHA is a good idea, but it seems to be a dark horse not being compatible with Bluetooth. Honda needs to fix this. They also have to get the Dealer sales reps up to speed how to work all this stuff. My Dealer people knew nothing about setting up AHA. They weren't aware that iPhone 5 w/ver 6 iOS is the only phone that will work from Apple.
post #7 of 37 Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
My Dealer people knew nothing about setting up AHA. They weren't aware that iPhone 5 w/ver 6 iOS is the only phone that will work from Apple.
Why are you surprised? They are salesman and not technical experts. My salesman pointed out the radiator overflow tank and complained that the make ready people didn't fill up the windshield washer fluid. They know just enough to get you to buy the car. And on delivery they know just enough to get you out of the dealership. They work on commissions and that's the only thing that they are interested in doing.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #8 of 37 Old 09-14-2013, 06:43 AM
4th Gear

Has anyone had any issues loading AHA in the last few days? Can't connect any longer and Pandora still works. Running Android 4.3. They never update the app. Maybe they nixed it and gave up...

Went from 13 Accord Coupe V6 Tiger Eye Pearl to
16 Accord Coupe V6 Orchid White Pearl. The difference is night and day. Well, the colors are.
post #9 of 37 Old 09-14-2013, 06:52 AM
Rhymes with Mick & Quick

Quote:
According to the Honda Audio techs AHA will only work with iPhone 5 with iOS Version 6.
Admittedly, I haven't tried this in a while because AHA is pretty crappy, but my 4S with ios 6 worked just fine over BT.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L I4 Sedan CVT MSM/Gray
All stock.

2018 Honda Civic Type R 6MT
All stock, more or less.

Other Cars: BMW 335i xDrive, BMW 550i, BMW M3, Infiniti QX4, Honda Pilot EX-L, Nissan Maxima SE, Nissan Sentra SE-R, Honda Prelude Si, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic Si, Honda Accord EX-L V6
post #10 of 37 Old 09-14-2013, 08:00 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
According to the Honda Audio techs AHA will only work with iPhone 5 with iOS Version 6. You must dedicate the USB port in settings. In order to load 16 radio station presets (stations selected in Hondalink) you must do the following:
Turn off Bluetooth
Connect Hondalink
Plug in USB cable to phone
select AHA app on phone
Select AHA in source on interface
Presets load and are selectable on radio. If you don't have an unlimited call plan be prepared for a large data bill.

I asked the tech why I can't pair Bluetooth in order to dial/receive phone calls. As soon as you pair Bluetooth to the car, AHA drops out and doesn't work while Bluetooth is selected. This defeats the whole purpose of hands free driving and listening to AHA at the same time.
Honda is waiting for iOS7 upgrade next week and will go through it to make any changes. They said customers will be notified when they access Hondalink online.
AHA is a good idea, but it seems to be a dark horse not being compatible with Bluetooth. Honda needs to fix this. They also have to get the Dealer sales reps up to speed how to work all this stuff. My Dealer people knew nothing about setting up AHA. They weren't aware that iPhone 5 w/ver 6 iOS is the only phone that will work from Apple.
Yesterday Honda told me to ONLY use Bluetooth never USB-->IDIOTS don't have a CLUE.
post #11 of 37 Old 09-14-2013, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

I've had nothing but issues with Aha for the past week. It doesn't connect at all or, if it does connect, it cuts out completely in the middle of a song, usually after about 10 minutes. The system is pure crap!
post #12 of 37 Old 09-15-2013, 12:41 PM
2nd Gear

Been having good luck with aha. iPhone 4S i4 touring sedan Canada. Have to make sure you pick your station list on the honda link app prior to connecting in car. Been using bt, but it annihilates the battery, so have to plug in charger. Never tried USB. Data use is minor.

Sent from
post #13 of 37 Old 09-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Don't hate on my color!!

I've used by iPhone 5 with Aha and gotten a phone call while streaming Aha and connected via Bluetooth and everything was fine. The call came right through.

I changed my data from 2G to 4G in order not to go over because of using Aha when I first got the car. I was going to cancel my XM and stream music on my phone, but XM have me 3 free months so I didn't yet.

Also, my iPhone asks me if I want Aha to be opened when I push the Aha button on the screen. Same with Pandora.

-Paul

PRESENT: 2014 Champagne Frost EX-L V-6 sedan

OEM remote start/ OEM Acura TSX cargo organizer/
OEM trunk mat/ OEM all-weather floor mats/ horn upgrade/ 3M clear-bra protector/ 35% Carbon XP tint

PAST: 2013 Obsidian Blue EX-L sedan
post #14 of 37 Old 09-15-2013, 09:04 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via MSN to andres0603 Send a message via Yahoo to andres0603
I have a galaxy 4s and I can say that aha app is junk
.my phone also overheats like no other.

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6
mods done:
17" Chrome-Look Alloy Wheels
OEM Illuminated door sills
white LED back-up lights
exLED 6K interior lights

2006 Honda Accord EX-L V6
mods done:
white LED interior lights, stage II
OEM foglights
tint 35% all around
post #15 of 37 Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 AM
6th Gear

I've said it before & it's worth repeating ➽ When using AHA the sound is superior to every other format available in the Accord.

My Sub acts like a Sub should, at times almost too much Low End (Sub & Bass +5) other formats act as though they are choked with a filter (Maybe overly compressed on some) Try "Absolute Blues Hits (1.FM TM)" radio station for about 30 minutes and you'll see/hear what I'm talking about.

I leave Honda Link on all the time on my I5 (App shows as AcuraLink in the picture but is displayed as HondaLink) I'm not having problems Hooking up with AHA.

A few odd things though, the Album Art Screen with song information does not change when the next song plays, but I discovered, hitting the Thumbs Up Icon changes it to the correct information.

Another odd thing I discovered, to change to the other AHA stations, with the Steering Wheel controls, I have to push & hold either, Left ◀ or Right ▶ button for a few seconds until it changes to the next station, but it's no big deal because the stations are great with excellent sound.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Husker For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (11-08-2013), towerboy (10-21-2013)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.