Extend Factory Head Unit to the Trunk - A Tutorial - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
24Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 71 Old 04-24-2017, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Garage
Extend Factory Head Unit to the Trunk - A Tutorial

Finally was able to pull off what I had been wanting to do all along - extend the factory head unit somewhere else in the car so that I can add an aftermarket head unit, and keep the factory connected to power the upper display. This way my backup camera, MPG screens and settings remain intact.

So many have said that this can't be done, I didn't want to risk damaging some of the cables so I buried it inside the dash underneath the climate controls. Not an ideal solution.

Thanks to timeshifter who found an audio shop in California that had done this. A couple of phone calls and email exchanges and I learned everything they had done. Turns out this is a lot easier than people were thinking.

I made a tutorial video that should answer all questions and that's posted here:

Here's what the final product looks like with it mounted inside the trunk.

Attached Images

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TMVB For This Useful Post:
fighter1313 (04-30-2017), Gearhead82 (10-30-2017), Merc6 (07-26-2017), sm753 (04-25-2017), VincentA (04-26-2017)
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 04-24-2017, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Garage
This is what the factory video cable looks like. The one everyone was worried about cutting. It's just a simple, two connector, shielded cable. I used microphone cable to extend. Solder both connectors, and solder the shields together and it works great.

Attached Images

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMVB For This Useful Post:
fighter1313 (04-30-2017)
post #3 of 71 Old 04-24-2017, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Garage
Here's my connector graphic and the three cables that I made to extend the head unit. Again, full details are in the video.
Attached Images
sub786, arempee26 and pinzg35 like this.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMVB For This Useful Post:
fighter1313 (04-30-2017)

post #4 of 71 Old 04-24-2017, 12:32 PM
4th Gear

Great writeup and useful info. Not sure if you chose the best place for the factory radio but I will certainly follow your steps if I happen to buy a model without navi.
post #5 of 71 Old 04-24-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Garage
Extend Factory Head Unit to the Trunk - A Tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRac View Post
Great writeup and useful info. Not sure if you chose the best place for the factory radio but I will certainly follow your steps if I happen to buy a model without navi.

Thanks. The car I was using as an example had it mounted in the center facing rearward. I didn't like that. Took away too much room.

Spent hours in the trunk trying different options. For such a small box there are surprisingly few options. But if you do it I will look forward to seeing what you chose.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

post #6 of 71 Old 04-25-2017, 10:37 AM
5th Gear

Thanks so much for doing this and documenting it so well TMVB !! I've had my Accord for 3.5 years and for the first time there is a solid, reasonable solution for adding an aftermarket head unit to my Accord. Well done.
TMVB likes this.

2014 Accord Hybrid EX-L in Obsidian Blue Pearl

post #7 of 71 Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Looks great! Thanks for posting it!

post #8 of 71 Old 04-29-2017, 07:03 PM
1st Gear

Terry, amazing work! Great presentation. I am considering to do the same and would highly recommend everybody to go this route. Metra is questionable even with all the firmware updates and who knows if the Axxess black box would last.
Appreciate you time and efforts very much.
post #9 of 71 Old 04-29-2017, 07:20 PM
CVT

Looks good! Should you take it a step further and install the head unit into a basic custom housing.

2017 Accord Coupe | Touring | MSM
post #10 of 71 Old 04-29-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighter1313 View Post
Terry, amazing work! Great presentation. I am considering to do the same and would highly recommend everybody to go this route. Metra is questionable even with all the firmware updates and who knows if the Axxess black box would last.
Appreciate you time and efforts very much.
Thanks! Until someone comes up with a reliable and decent looking set of screens for the upper display, I think this is absolutely the way to go. iDataLink makes some really nice stuff and they've said they're working on an RR Maestro solution for our Accords. But nothing yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
Looks good! Should you take it a step further and install the head unit into a basic custom housing.
Good suggestion. From here there are really two ways to go. Make a custom housing as you suggest. Or figure out how to extend the faceplate from the head unit box. Doing that would allow mounting just the faceplate inside the cabin where it's more accessible. I'm going to play around with the faceplate connector and see what's possible.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

post #11 of 71 Old 04-30-2017, 07:48 AM
1st Gear

Do you think that harness of your design can be made by somebody as competent as you in numbers and sold at eBay or at craigslist? I am interested in buying one!
post #12 of 71 Old 04-30-2017, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighter1313 View Post
Do you think that harness of your design can be made by somebody as competent as you in numbers and sold at eBay or at craigslist? I am interested in buying one!
No idea if this would be worthwhile for someone to take on. The market size would be pretty small I suspect. I mean how many Accord owners would want to do this? My guess is only a handful. Lots want to go aftermarket so if Metra can pull their heads out of their backside or if iDataLink ever solves it, there will a large market for adapter kits that keep the upper display but don't require you to keep the factory head unit connected. But for now not many would want to extend their factory head unit to the trunk.

I'm certainly not interested in making this for others. I did it for myself and am willing to accept my substandard soldering skills. And if anything goes wrong in the future, I only have myself to blame. I wouldn't want someone to buy this from me and have it go south and they end up feeling like they didn't get what they paid for.

One of the reasons I was so explicit in the video and went step by step on how to do this, was to give those that are interested the confidence to try it themselves. If you're still not there yet, take my video to your local audio shop and show them what you want. Maybe they would be willing to do it for you provided that you picked up the used head unit.

Edit: But if you decide to tackle this, PM me and I can answer any specific questions, provide my wiring schematic, and help if you get in a bind. One thing to keep in mind is that I already have another harness that connects my steering wheel control, Kenwood head unit, and the factory 24 pin harness. So if you were going to start from scratch, you would need to either build that harness first, or just build a single one that accomplishes both objectives (tie in aftermarket and SWC and extend cables to the trunk.) Again, PM me if you have questions.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

Last edited by TMVB; 04-30-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Add clarification.
post #13 of 71 Old 04-30-2017, 04:53 PM
1st Gear

You have answered my question and I am PMing you for a detailed info.
I personally like the OEM interface of the iMID and I do not like the Metra's one. With Metra's we will not be able to see full Settings or Diag screens and this is even on the condition if everything else will work without glitches.
For the beginning, I would like to have a list of materials (other than an aftermarket unit of choice itself) to complete this project from scratch and to place the OEM HU to the right upper space of the trunk as in your car. This so far is the best option, and you should deserve a praise from everyone on this forum for developing the algorithm of doing that.)
Thanks again
post #14 of 71 Old 04-30-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Out of Control

Garage
If you're going to start from scratch, it will be slightly easier. Not much, but slightly. You won't have to buy as many Metra A harness connectors (70-1729 and 71-1729).

The hardest part will be sorting out how to connect the following:

A1 (Chassis Ground) to the Aftermarket HU, Factory HU and SWC.
A3 (12V Constant) to the Aftermarket HU, Factory HU and SWC.
A24 (Acc) to the Aftermarket HU, Factory HU and SWC.
A11 (SWC Ground) gets disconnected from Factory HU and joins Chassis Ground (A1).
A22 gets disconnect from the Factory HU and connects to SWC ONLY.
C9 gets disconnected from Factory HU and connects to SWC ONLY. This is the only factory wire that has to be cut. Unless you want to build a C Harness extension by harvesting the female C connector from the donor HU.

Oh and you should still connect the Aftermarket HU Illumination/Dimmer wire to the middle grey wire in the Climate Control harness.

If you use the attached wiring schematic, you can't go wrong.

As for a shopping list, here you go:

Get 2 of these. One for G and one for D.

Get one of these for H harness.

Get one of these for A harness.

Get 2 of these - one becomes a pin donor.

Get 1 of these.

I didn't include solder, heat shrink, electrical tape and a couple other odds and ends.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Sport Wiring Aftermarket Updated.pdf (39.6 KB, 221 views)

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

post #15 of 71 Old 04-30-2017, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

Thank you! I have not seen this reply and kept firing PMs. It will help a lot.

More items for the list?

You did not mention in your shopping list a "donor HU" for harvesting male connectors. As a newbie, I do not see the whole picture yet...((( Do we need another OEM HU to harvest male connectors for A, D, G and C? Which type of cable should be used for a C-harness? Plus we need to by a SWC harness.
Head is already spinning! And this is just the beginning...

Last edited by namegoeshere; 05-05-2017 at 07:14 PM. Reason: merge
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.