2016 Sport: Morimoto HID vs OPT7 LED Comparison - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
5Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 06-26-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

2016 Sport: Morimoto HID vs OPT7 LED Comparison

I just wanted to share some pictures and info from my experience in case some people were still on the fence over whether to go with LED or HID headlights. Maybe this will help decide which one would be best for you.

Let me first say that I had no plans on altering or retro-fitting my projectors at this time (to the disdain of many hardcore HID enthusiasts), I just simply wanted to improve the overall lighting of the car. So I kept the stock halogen projectors and opted for a plug-and-play solution and made sure I wouldn't be blinding oncoming traffic.

OPT7 LED:

I originally went with the (it's 6000k) because of the simplicity of the setup and I figured it would be a good match for the car. While they were an excellent temp/color match for the LED DRL's and fog lights, they didn't really impress me much under driving conditions. In the driveway they looked great but once I hit the road it was apparent they were not quite up to par. The "throw" and visibility down the road from these lights actually decreased from the stock halogens. Although they looked great I just couldn't justify sacrificing overall visibility for looks.

Morimoto Elite HID:

After a good bit of research I decided to go with the (with CANBUS) from The Retrofit Source. Now I say "good bit of research" because I knew what I was getting myself into... For those new to HID's, to get the most out of these systems you would need to alter the stock headlight housing and switch out the halogen projectors for HID projectors - meaning ones that are specifically made to project light emitted from HID bulbs.

That being said, for being in a halogen projector these lights look great and serve their purpose. I went with the 6500k bulb because I figured it would match a little closer to the DRL's and fogs and they are a pretty close match (I have not personally tested out color match of the 5500k, but you WILL get more usable light from a 5500k bulb - I just rather the look of a slightly more blue-ish/white tint). They provide a much further line of visibility while driving than the LED's and a better overall brightness also.

Side-By-Side Comparisons:

HID Mounting:

After everything was tested I cleaned up the install by mounting the ballasts, igniters, and CANBUS to tidy up the install and to prevent the components from bouncing around under the hood. I just used some 3M Heavy Duty Mounting Tape and gave the ballasts a bit of extra security later with some white zip-ties. Just in-case I needed to troubleshoot or swap anything out, I put all of the connections within easy access so I can still disconnect any part of the system and remove the bulbs without having to physically remove anything.

2016 Accord Sport Sedan | White Orchid Pearl | CVT | Sensing
Llumar CTX Ceramic Tint 50/35/15
Morimoto Elite HID System XB35/6500K
Katzkin OEM Style Leather
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BP668 For This Useful Post:
cashstar (09-21-2016), MackDaddy (06-27-2016), UNLTD1487 (06-26-2016)
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-26-2016, 11:36 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 30 Old 06-27-2016, 03:50 AM
1st Gear

Awesome, thanks for the time doing the comparison. Are you interested in selling the LEDs?

post #4 of 30 Old 06-27-2016, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javage View Post
Awesome, thanks for the time doing the comparison. Are you interested in selling the LEDs?
Not a problem. I actually just sent them back to Amazon last week though!

post #5 of 30 Old 07-07-2016, 03:29 PM
My First Post

Garage
Great! Ive ordered some OPT7 55W 6000K HID's. Do you think 55W is too much? I wasn't sure what one was better. Hows your experience on the road? anyone high beaming you? I definitely dont want that haha.
post #6 of 30 Old 07-07-2016, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBA View Post
Great! Ive ordered some OPT7 55W 6000K HID's. Do you think 55W is too much? I wasn't sure what one was better. Hows your experience on the road? anyone high beaming you? I definitely dont want that haha.
From the research that I did, I found that 55w would be overkill. There's pros and cons - yes the light would be brighter, but you go through bulbs more quickly and have a greater chance of damaging the housing from the higher temperature. The 35w setup that I have is plenty enough light for me and a definite improvement over halogens.

Experience on the road is definitely improved over the stock halogens (plus it looks way better with factory LED's). Like you, I was mostly worried about blinding oncoming traffic, but I still have yet to be flashed with high beams from anyone.

post #7 of 30 Old 07-07-2016, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

I completely agree. My HIDs wouldn't fire up one night, so I ordered some Opt7's. Although they look great, they don't throw light as far as my HIDs did. I also have Opt7's flexbeam park/turn signal installed in the lower half of my headlamp.
I may go back to HIDs in the future.
It should be noted that I had to adjust the beams accordingly for each different bulbs that was installed. Reg bulbs, HID, and Opt7's all needed a different angle to work best. HIDs give the best light output but please adjust the beams.

*edit: looking my avatar pic I need to update my photo.
post #8 of 30 Old 07-10-2016, 10:26 AM
1st Gear

Great write up and comparison. Better than the one I did. Starting to see these LED vs. HID tests all over and it seems the HID's are always the preferred choice. The sales guy I worked with at the Honda dealership drove a 2016 Touring and he said that the factory LED's were not as good as the halogens on the lesser models.
I also installed the Morimoto HID kit, but went with the 5500K, as you mentioned it suppose to have more useable light and be pure white vs the bluiesh tint which I did not want. They look great in my opinion and in another post, I made the comparison to my Acura that has factory HID projectors and I can't see any difference. The new Morimoto kit is actually brighter than the Acura factory HID's.
I do not follow all the car manufacturers, but it seems most are moving away from HID's and going to LED's. A guy I know at my local gym just got a top 3 series model BMW. Probably close to $50K and it has LED's. They look great, but I do not know how well they perform.
post #9 of 30 Old 07-17-2016, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Great post, answered most of my questions regarding LED..... But you know new Corolla has LED and they look damn bright and always make me turn head in wonder which car just passed by ...... So if most car manufacturers going with LED then I guess this is the way to go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10 of 30 Old 07-17-2016, 08:22 PM
2nd Gear

TO OP,
I ordered the same Morimoto kit that you have but I did not go with the CANBUS instead I went with the HD relay. I wanted to ask you if you went with the CANBUS because you were certain you would get a "light out" indicator on the dash as mostly it is the German manufactured cars that have the problems with the after-market HID kits.
Do you feel I need to contact Morimoto and get the CANBUS harness or will I be alright?
I also plan on going with the same kit as I was originally going to post a question as to which? The Morimoto HID kit for the Driving Lights or the Morimoto XB LED lights for my driving lights.
I would greatly appreciate your input.
Thanks,
David

2015 San Marino Red V-6 Accord Coupe
Complete HFP Body Kit
RV6 J-pipe
KTuner
25mm H&R wheel spacers Rear
20mm H&R wheel spacers Front
H&R Sport Springs
Progress Auto 22mm RSB
Ultra Racing Front Strut tower bar
3M Clear Bra entire front + complete hood instead of 30% leading edge
Morimoto 6500K HID headlights
Weather Tec Floormats
OG Member of the "No Feet Hands Only" Driver's Club

Last edited by F1wheels; 07-17-2016 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spelling
post #11 of 30 Old 07-19-2016, 12:37 PM
radio-pro.ru Sponsor

Nice review. I agree about HID vs LED (we sell both as well).

Steve

Use our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tool to find the right lighting for your Accord, and the most up-to-date Honda Accord lamp replacement guide!

1-877-522-2701 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 30 Old 07-24-2016, 05:35 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1wheels View Post
TO OP,
I ordered the same Morimoto kit that you have but I did not go with the CANBUS instead I went with the HD relay. I wanted to ask you if you went with the CANBUS because you were certain you would get a "light out" indicator on the dash as mostly it is the German manufactured cars that have the problems with the after-market HID kits.
Do you feel I need to contact Morimoto and get the CANBUS harness or will I be alright?
I also plan on going with the same kit as I was originally going to post a question as to which? The Morimoto HID kit for the Driving Lights or the Morimoto XB LED lights for my driving lights.
I would greatly appreciate your input.
Thanks,
David
Canbus is not needed for our cars at all. I wasn't sure and confirmed this with TRS and they said it is unnecessary. HD relay by itself will be fine. I've been running 50w morimoto kit with HD relay for 6+ months with no issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to patman530 For This Useful Post:
F1wheels (07-29-2016)
post #13 of 30 Old 07-24-2016, 06:44 PM
2nd Gear

Did you guys use the relay included?

2013 Alabaster Silver Metallic Honda Accord Sport CVT
- Morimoto Elite H11 6500K
- LEDs interior and exterior (license plate, parking strip, foglights)
post #14 of 30 Old 07-25-2016, 05:25 AM
radio-pro.ru Sponsor

It really depends on the ballasts that you are using. Some ballasts have a higher starting draw, which would benefit from the use of a relay harness.

Steve

Use our
tool to find the right lighting for your Accord, and the most up-to-date Honda Accord lamp replacement guide!

1-877-522-2701 |

post #15 of 30 Old 07-29-2016, 11:24 PM
5th Gear

OP which bulb did you get h11 or h11b.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.