2014 Sport - Swapping HU for premium touchscreeen - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
50Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 158 Old 05-26-2016, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Acoustics BSEE

2014 Sport - Swapping HU for premium touchscreeen

I will use this thread to detail the process of swapping the stock non-touchscreen head unit from a 2014 Sport with the touch-screen model out of the EX-L.

I will include wiring diagrams for both, photos of both, and instructions on what fits and what has to be changed.

I picked this up as a salvage unit for $210.

2014 Accord Sport
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Accord EX V6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Electrical basics and Car Audio (click links below):

--

--
---
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keep_hope_alive For This Useful Post:
keyun21 (05-28-2016), Xclimation (05-27-2016)
Advertisement

post #2 of 158 Old 05-26-2016, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Acoustics BSEE

The first step to wiring up the new HU is figuring out what the hell it came from.
Actual part number is 39101-T3W-A830-M1 from a 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid

Lucky for me, the main 24 pin harness is identical.

The rest of the harnesses vary with being useful with the following differences:
Harness B isn't needed - it has audio I won't use (has sub out)
Harness C has HandsFreeLink and external AUX audio.
Harness D has HandsFreeLink
Harness E goes to the external FM Tuner - so I lose FM unless I adapt and feed my Alpine DVA-9861.
Harness F only has ground and power but the Navi model adds a few other cables.
Harness G has the lanewatch camera, and I need to check the harness against the base model because the harness includes the rear view camera.
Harness H is i-Mid and the same
Harness J is HandsFreeLink
Harness K is the USB port

I referenced several schematics to figure out the connections.

A 2013 Accord with Premium and Navi schematic

A 2015 Accord with Premium w/out Navi schematic

2014 Accord Sport

2001 Accord EX V6

--

--
---
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keep_hope_alive For This Useful Post:
Broo0d (05-27-2016), grumpy_audio (07-13-2016)
post #3 of 158 Old 05-26-2016, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Acoustics BSEE

This is the schematic for the 2014 Accord Sport non-touchscreen that I will be replacing

After comparing the schematics, it seems the only wire that I have to manually re-configure is the HFL steering wheel controls - assuming they will even work with the new HU directly since that wire routes to the HFL Controller on the premium model.

2014 Accord Sport

2001 Accord EX V6

--

--
---

post #4 of 158 Old 05-26-2016, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Acoustics BSEE

I'm also curious if bluetooth will work since the premium model has an external HFL module.

i'm not sure if the schematic diagram is such that connections that align are related to each other or maybe pass-through.

I should probably take the premium unit apart so we know what they look like inside...

2014 Accord Sport

2001 Accord EX V6

--

--
---
post #5 of 158 Old 05-27-2016, 12:45 AM
2nd Gear

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but quick question... Does anybody know if that ex-l hu's subout mentioned in this unit would support a dedicated aftermarket sub amp? And if so, how would it compare in sound to an aftermarket hu?

I hate using LOCs.. i never get the bass I want when with em. I hooked an LOC to my boys bmw and it wasnt hitting certian lows like how it would in my pathfinder with a $150 amazon boss double din hu. I took my subout lines out of my amp coming from my aftermarket hu and connected them to his amp to test and we saw a huge difference in sound while playing the same song via aux cable from both cars. That experience turned me off from using anytype of hi-low converters and now I've got myself sitting with all my old hardware out my pathfinder but im hesitant to install without more knowledge how this will work.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
post #6 of 158 Old 05-27-2016, 03:12 AM
3rd Gear

Very interesting, def will keep looking into this thread. Hope it works out

Current: 2016 Accord EX MSM
No more 2013 LX BRP II (poor lil tink tink)
Mods: (Coming eventually)
------------------
post #7 of 158 Old 05-27-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Acoustics BSEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmurdera View Post
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but quick question... Does anybody know if that ex-l hu's subout mentioned in this unit would support a dedicated aftermarket sub amp? And if so, how would it compare in sound to an aftermarket hu?

I hate using LOCs.. i never get the bass I want when with em. I hooked an LOC to my boys bmw and it wasnt hitting certian lows like how it would in my pathfinder with a $150 amazon boss double din hu. I took my subout lines out of my amp coming from my aftermarket hu and connected them to his amp to test and we saw a huge difference in sound while playing the same song via aux cable from both cars. That experience turned me off from using anytype of hi-low converters and now I've got myself sitting with all my old hardware out my pathfinder but im hesitant to install without more knowledge how this will work.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
It's not the LOC but the DSP and crossovers in the factory speaker signal.

I am also curious how the sub level outputs behave. I can test them for the group, but I won't personally use them in my system since I have the Alpine PXA-H800

Rich V.

2014 Accord Sport

2001 Accord EX V6

--

--
---
post #8 of 158 Old 05-27-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Acoustics BSEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelockh View Post
Very interesting, def will keep looking into this thread. Hope it works out
It will work fine, only hiccup may be HFL, initially

Rich V.

2014 Accord Sport

2001 Accord EX V6

--

--
---
post #9 of 158 Old 05-27-2016, 03:28 PM
9th Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
I will use this thread to detail the process of swapping the stock non-touchscreen head unit from a 2014 Sport with the touch-screen model out of the EX-L.

I will include wiring diagrams for both, photos of both, and instructions on what fits and what has to be changed.

I picked this up as a salvage unit for $210.

Great project. I am more interesting in knowing how you will hook up after market amp with this audio. I believe you will be tapping into 24 pin wires . I want to see what wires you will pick. Pic will help a lot. I have posted some scheme on my other post . Also I am still kind of afraid to put after market amp with this audio. I went to audio express today to check their thoughts . He said even after unplugging anc will not deactivate it. First it does not make sense but now I am thinking might be possible because audio need conti input from sensor . If anc sensor are un plunged then audio might not produce good sound quality as it needs a functional anc. I am thinking of connecting after market amp directly to my smart phone . It is much easy and by pass every thing and still will produce quality sound . And if I want to sell this car after few years I will take out amp and speakers and this way I do not need to modify stock premium sound system.
So I am leaning to a different project where source of audio will be my smart phone which will provide feed to after maker amp. I will use some nice graphic app for my smart phone and stick it infront of the space ( where usb is ) . It will look like a 3rd screen
Thanks for you help
post #10 of 158 Old 05-27-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Acoustics BSEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub786 View Post
Great project. I am more interesting in knowing how you will hook up after market amp with this audio. I believe you will be tapping into 24 pin wires . I want to see what wires you will pick. Pic will help a lot.
Keep in mind what all I have going on. I will be taking the low level audio out into the AUX in on my Alpine PXA-H800. I don't have a factory amp so I will be adding RCA jacks on the low level cables coming out of the head unit. The H800 can handle balanced inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub786 View Post
I have posted some scheme on my other post . Also I am still kind of afraid to put after market amp with this audio. I went to audio express today to check their thoughts . He said even after unplugging anc will not deactivate it. First it does not make sense but now I am thinking might be possible because audio need conti input from sensor . If anc sensor are un plunged then audio might not produce good sound quality as it needs a functional anc. I am thinking of connecting after market amp directly to my smart phone . It is much easy and by pass every thing and still will produce quality sound . And if I want to sell this car after few years I will take out amp and speakers and this way I do not need to modify stock premium sound system.
So I am leaning to a different project where source of audio will be my smart phone which will provide feed to after maker amp. I will use some nice graphic app for my smart phone and stick it infront of the space ( where usb is ) . It will look like a 3rd screen
Thanks for you help
smart phones are low quality sources, so that's your call.

you don't need to unplug the HFL module, just unplug the microphones. that way you don't have cancellation issues. the ANC system just runs in parallel with the audio output. Removing the mics is an effective bypass.

i have high expectations for the premium head unit ran directly out to an amp.

2014 Accord Sport

2001 Accord EX V6

--

--
---
post #11 of 158 Old 05-27-2016, 08:42 PM
3rd Gear

So I was trying to read and pay attention, just noticed the unit you're using from an EX-L is just standard touchscreen without nav?

I'm going to assume the Nav version wouldn't work since it would need other connections that don't come standard in factory wiring harness for models without nav, gps antenna etc or it would be more work than its worth.

Regardless still is a great mod swapping out standard unit for touchscreen nav or not may have to take up this task later down the road.

Current: 2016 Accord EX MSM
No more 2013 LX BRP II (poor lil tink tink)
Mods: (Coming eventually)
------------------
post #12 of 158 Old 05-28-2016, 03:24 AM
4th Gear

Just wondering where did you pick up the salvaged unit? Did you happen to get the stereo security code?

-Mike
post #13 of 158 Old 05-28-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Acoustics BSEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelockh View Post
So I was trying to read and pay attention, just noticed the unit you're using from an EX-L is just standard touchscreen without nav?

I'm going to assume the Nav version wouldn't work since it would need other connections that don't come standard in factory wiring harness for models without nav, gps antenna etc or it would be more work than its worth.

Regardless still is a great mod swapping out standard unit for touchscreen nav or not may have to take up this task later down the road.
You can see the schematic for a 2013 Nav unit and see the connections/pieces. The main addition would be the lower control unit that goes in place of the pocket, and the nav antenna and harness (which would be a grand)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog270 View Post
Just wondering where did you pick up the salvaged unit? Did you happen to get the stereo security code?
seller on eBay. I haven't powered it up yet, the touchscreen models on 9th gen have a security code? the non-touchscreen models don't. i thought they stopped doing codes with 9th gen.

2014 Accord Sport

2001 Accord EX V6

--

--
---
post #14 of 158 Old 05-29-2016, 02:15 AM
4th Gear

Lucky! Cheapest one I found without the plugs is $334.
keep_hope_alive likes this.

-Mike
post #15 of 158 Old 05-29-2016, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Acoustics BSEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog270 View Post
Lucky! Cheapest one I found without the plugs is $334.
It had been on ebay for over a month at $280 and I was watching and waiting...

Rich V.

2014 Accord Sport

2001 Accord EX V6

--

--
---
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.