Major flaw in 2016 Accord HandsfreeLink outgoing call operation - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-19-2016, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Unhappy Major flaw in 2016 Accord HandsfreeLink outgoing call operation

There is a major flaw IMO in the 2016 Accord HandsfreeLink outgoing call operation. When you make an outbound call from a handset of Bluetooth connected phone, it does not automatically transfer onto vehicle's speakers system so you can hear the call progress ringing until the called party answers. When the call is answered the screen shows a "transfer" soft key option to transfer the call onto vehicle's speaker system. This is totally different from the way my 2011 EX and earlier Accords operated. I understand that Honda designed it this way to try to keep people from using the handset to dial while driving and instead use the speed dials and voice tags in the car system to dial. Although an admirable goal, unfortunately many people are more familiar with their phones for speed and regular dialing and don't want the added complication of programming the car bluetooth system to mimic all their phone speed dials. I would argue trying to use the Honda touchscreen while driving is even more distracting than using your smartphone.

Wish I had my 2011 EX back...a much simpler audio system to use.

Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-19-2016, 05:37 PM
4th Gear

They call it "Private Mode"...And people are not supposed to use their handset while driving. In fact the dialer can be accessed with Display Audio in phone, Android Auto, and CarPlay while driving.

post #3 of 24 Old 05-19-2016, 06:13 PM
Out of Control

Garage
I think you're missing the point of where Honda, Apple and Google are going. With a 2016 you have both CarPlay and Android Auto. Whichever one you chose to use is largely irrelevant as they offer similar functionality. You don't need to transfer speed dial numbers or any other numbers. Plug your phone in and use voice command inherent in AA and CarPlay to make calls. "Call Susie mobile" is all you need to do.

This assumes you're using CarPlay or AA. If you're using Honda's native functionality - I agree with you - it's very cumbersome to use.

Bottom line - use CarPlay or AA (depending on you phone). Which really means use your voice, not the touchscreen.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old 05-19-2016, 06:19 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMVB View Post
I think you're missing the point of where Honda, Apple and Google are going. With a 2016 you have both CarPlay and Android Auto. Whichever one you chose to use is largely irrelevant as they offer similar functionality. You don't need to transfer speed dial numbers or any other numbers. Plug your phone in and use voice command inherent in AA and CarPlay to make calls. "Call Susie mobile" is all you need to do.

This assumes you're using CarPlay or AA. If you're using Honda's native functionality - I agree with you - it's very cumbersome to use.

Bottom line - use CarPlay or AA (depending on you phone). Which really means use your voice, not the touchscreen.
So I guess us blackberry guys are just SOL.

Likely my next blackberry will have an Android OS, so there might be hope for me yet. I had noticed the OP's issue also and it is very annoying. It will even do it when the car is in park which is the only time I will go into the phone and call. Otherwise, I use voice commands. Don't think I've tried a dial by voice yet on my 16, so not sure if that works or not.

Current:
2016 EX-L V6 w/ Navi/Sensing Sedan Black/Ivory
2013 EX-L V6 w/ Navi Sedan Black/Ivory *TRADED*
2016 Acura RDX w/ tech pkg White/Parchment
2003 EX-L V6 Sedan Black/Tan
2008 CRV EX AWD Black/Black

Previous:
1999 EX-L 4 Cyl. Sedan
1997 EX-L V6
post #5 of 24 Old 05-19-2016, 06:26 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDMaccord View Post
So I guess us blackberry guys are just SOL.

Likely my next blackberry will have an Android OS, so there might be hope for me yet. I had noticed the OP's issue also and it is very annoying. It will even do it when the car is in park which is the only time I will go into the phone and call. Otherwise, I use voice commands. Don't think I've tried a dial by voice yet on my 16, so not sure if that works or not.
It's not just you blackberry folks that are SOL. Windows Phone and Apple Newton are as well.

Almost forgot - Palm Pilot folks are SOL as well.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

post #6 of 24 Old 05-19-2016, 08:06 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMVB View Post
It's not just you blackberry folks that are SOL. Windows Phone and Apple Newton are as well.

Almost forgot - Palm Pilot folks are SOL as well.
You said palm pilot. That's a blast from the past.

Fortunately (well maybe) I think the rest of blackberry's handsets will have an Android based OS. I actually love bb's OS but the lack of apps ultimately killed the brand's software side I think. I can actually load android apps from the Amazon store and there is a way to get the Google Play store also, which I have gone through the process and installed. The apps don't always work though. Haven't tried AndroidAuto yet to see if it works on my phone.

Current:

Previous:
1999 EX-L 4 Cyl. Sedan
1997 EX-L V6
post #7 of 24 Old 05-20-2016, 02:51 AM
6th Gear

The Blackberry still exists? I thought that dinosaur became extinct as soon as the iPhone came out nearly a decade ago...
post #8 of 24 Old 05-20-2016, 12:49 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82801BA View Post
They call it "Private Mode"...And people are not supposed to use their handset while driving.
Mmm, with all due respect, I think that's both incorrect and also just your opinion, and here's why....

Private mode is a mode on the phone itself, and simply indicates that the call has been disconnected from whatever BT-enabled device it was connected to. In order for that to happen, it would have to be connected in the first place, beforehand. Which means the phone was BT-connected to the car and should have made the call via the car.

This issue is NOT standard behavior actually and certainly isn't by design ---- it was an obvious --- you'd press dial on your phone, and instead of switching to the bluetooth system, it would instead ring on the phone until the other end answers, at which point the call would be switched to the car -- meaning that the first 1/2 sec of call (the person going "hello") would get cut off. This was an Android bug, not a Honda bug, and was fixed before 6.0 was released.

Based off this, I find it very hard to believe that this behavior is anything but a bug, and the idea that Honda intentionally did things this way seems pretty far-fetched. I've certainly been wrong before, but I feel pretty damn confident this is not a design issue. Because if it was intentional, it would clearly be a safety issue, not feature.

2013 Accord Sport | Obsidian Blue Pearl
Mods:
  • TRS 5500K HID Bulbs
  • Zenex Ballasts
  • Image Dynamics CXS-62v2 Components
  • Soundstream TN5.950D amp
  • Audison Bit Ten DSP
Previous: 2004 Jeep Liberty 4x4
post #9 of 24 Old 05-26-2016, 03:19 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH23 View Post
The Blackberry still exists? I thought that dinosaur became extinct as soon as the iPhone came out nearly a decade ago...
Indeed. However, for the physical keyboard user, there is none better. Two new handsets being released this fall, but could be the last 2 if they don't do well. They blew it with the PRIV pricing themselves way outside the market. And it initially didn't work well with the Android OS.

many would be surprised to know that BlackBerry is one of the top car software companies (QNX) recently replacing Microsoft as Ford's infotainment software. They do a horrible job of marketing the company on all fronts.

Current:

Previous:
1999 EX-L 4 Cyl. Sedan
1997 EX-L V6
post #10 of 24 Old 06-23-2016, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
Private mode is a mode on the phone itself, and simply indicates that the call has been disconnected from whatever BT-enabled device it was connected to. In order for that to happen, it would have to be connected in the first place, beforehand. Which means the phone was BT-connected to the car and should have made the call via the car.
I've seen the same behavior in my 2016 EX with multiple phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 running Android 5.1.1, Note 5 running Android 5.1.1 and then 6.0.1, Nexus 6P running 6.0.1, and an iPhone 6s Plus running iOS 9.3. I found that when making a call from the phone, even if you hit the Bluetooth button on the phone right after dialing, it still doesn't go through the car speakers until the call is answered. (Which also means that if it's busy, you never hear the busy signal.)

My wife has a 2015 Fit LX. In her car, when you dial from the phone, it connects immediately to the car; it doesn't wait for someone to answer. Same was true of my previous car, a 2002 Accord EX with an aftermarket Alpine head unit with Bluetooth. In addition, in both my old 2002 and my wife's fit, even playing a voicemail (from the visual voicemail app) will go over the car speakers. Not in my Accord; the only way I can hear voicemails is to play them with the phone's speakerphone on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
This issue is NOT standard behavior actually and certainly isn't by design ---- it was an obvious --- you'd press dial on your phone, and instead of switching to the bluetooth system, it would instead ring on the phone until the other end answers, at which point the call would be switched to the car -- meaning that the first 1/2 sec of call (the person going "hello") would get cut off. This was an Android bug, not a Honda bug, and was fixed before 6.0 was released.
I spoke to someone at Honda's technology support line, and they actually told me quite the opposite: It IS by design. She suggested that if enough people complain about it, they might offer a software update that will change the behavior.

By the way, there's also an identical complaint over on Piloteers.org. I found it when I was searching for Bluetooth issues on the Accord. So apparently, it's not just us.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 02-17-2017 at 07:30 AM.
post #11 of 24 Old 02-16-2017, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

I have the same trouble on my 2017 Accord. First and last Honda I will buy if this is not fixed. No other car I have driven forces you to use the 'Transfer' button AFTER the person answers. I also cannot use the Google Voice to text feature if my phone is connected to the bluetooth of the car. This is simply dangerous. The Android Auto does work better, but it makes my phone unusable in any other way.
JA
The Following User Says Thank You to goneboating For This Useful Post:
pete949 (09-30-2017)
post #12 of 24 Old 02-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneboating View Post
The Android Auto does work better, but it makes my phone unusable in any other way.
JA
That's the point.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

post #13 of 24 Old 02-16-2017, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
I have the same trouble on my 2017 Accord. First and last Honda I will buy if this is not fixed. No other car I have driven forces you to use the 'Transfer' button AFTER the person answers. I also cannot use the Google Voice to text feature if my phone is connected to the bluetooth of the car. This is simply dangerous.
So apparently, they haven't addressed this for 2017. I wonder if anyone has come up with any way to hack the system...

Quote:
The Android Auto does work better, but it makes my phone unusable in any other way.
I tried Android Auto and found it cumbersome. Also, I have my phone mounted on a stand next to the upper screen. It's actually much easier to manipulate the map on the phone screen when navigating than it is to try to manipulate it on the lower screen -- and safer, too, since I don't have to take my eyes off the road. Looking down at that lower screen would be dangerous. My car doesn't have factory navigation; I just use Google Maps.
post #14 of 24 Old 02-17-2017, 05:40 AM
5th Gear

I'm confused by this whole thread. I'll speak about iPhone here as that is what I use, could translate to Android also:

People are confusing features, IMO. There is CarPlay and there is Siri Eyes Free. Whether you use CarPlay is irrelevant. However, if the phone is connected to BT, Siri Eyes Free is still operational. What this feature lets you do is LONG HOLD the BT button (not just press it, which invokes car's BT functionality) and then Siri is invoked, just like as if you were using CarPlay. Then you are able to tell Siri to call whoever you want and no transfer is needed. That way, you bypass the whole Honda BT implementation and go straight to your phone, as if you were using CarPlay. You never need to load contacts / address book into the car (I don't).

My assumption is that long press on BT will also invoke Google assistant and / or Cortana but I did not try either of those.

And yes, this will interrupt any other input you are on currently.

Oh yeah, on the phone you need to enable Siri (but Hey Siri does not need to be enabled) and also you need to allow access to Siri when phone is locked.

2017 Accord EX I4 w. Sensing Sedan
2005 Accord LX I4 Sedan > the one with a $2500 transmission rebuild
post #15 of 24 Old 04-17-2017, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

My iphone and S6 can't use the stereo at all for calls or it breaks the radio until you restart the car, so if you can use it AT ALL, be happy

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.