My Install Of JL Audio C2-650x 2013 Accord Sport - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-20-2016, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

My Install Of JL Audio C2-650x 2013 Accord Sport

Hi all, I just want to give you my impression of the JL C2-650x speakers I'm installing in my 13 Sport.

First off, I've only installed just one front for now as I had to wait for the adapters from Crutchfield and it arrived too late in the day for me to do the drivers side.

I have no intention of changing the head unit. I just wanted crisper, cleaner sound. And YES, these speakers deliver.
They don't give you the artificial boomy bass the stock speakers do, instead you are rewarded with a nice tight realistic bass.
As for the mids and highs, wow, I was surprised at the good sound quality the stock radio can supply.

For my test music I played track 3 from Cristina Aguellera's Stripped album..Walk Away.
And I put all sound to the front speakers and balanced between the stock speaker and the JL Audio.

I've read somewhere where someone said the stock speakers were the best...that's just plain crazy talk. The JL made it sound like Cristina was in the car with me. Much brighter and clear, not the muddled sound of the stockers.

If you're looking for bass that people can hear the plastic rattling off your car three blocks away you'll need a sub woofer. But if you want a 100% upgrade in sound the easy way, get these speakers. You won't be disappointed.

To mount them I bought the Scosche SAHC635 adapters from Crutchfield. They were supposed to fit the 13 Accord Sport but they required some easy modification.
I can go into that if anybody needs help with it.

Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-20-2016, 03:42 PM
J35

Ive been thinking of doing this on my 2016 sport. How hard is it to take off the door panel?
Im sure its pretty much the same for the 2013 and 2016. Someone correct me if im wrong.

All i would need is cable adapter and the scosche adapter?

post #3 of 21 Old 04-20-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knxwledge View Post
Ive been thinking of doing this on my 2016 sport. How hard is it to take off the door panel?
Im sure its pretty much the same for the 2013 and 2016. Someone correct me if im wrong.

All i would need is cable adapter and the scosche adapter?
Assuming the 16 is the same as the 13...

That adapter is just a round spacer. The factory speakers are a one piece plastic thing which incorporates the spacer.
The stock speakers have two plastic tabs on the bottom which hook into two square holes and there is one bolt that holds the top. Easy.
The problem is, the adapter bolt hole doesn't line up with the nut.
So what I did is take the captive nut out then took a pair of tin snips and made the hole taller so I could slide the nut up a little higher. It takes about 30 seconds to do and works well.

I canabalized the factory speakers with a diagonal cutter to take the factory jack off of it so I could solder it to my JL speaker. This way I didn't have to cut the factory harness. This is not necessary but the supplied Stakons were a size too large for the factory wires and I didn't have the proper ones on hand.

Also, as for the Phillips bolt. You have to countersink it into the spacer. I used a bench grinder to shrink the head of the flange bolt from about 7/16 of an inch diameter to about 1/4 inch diameter so my countersink hole could be smaller.

Ther are videos on YouTube which show how to take the panels off. I suggest you watch them so as not to break any tabs.
I'm a pretty fair mechanic but figuring out the sequence of those panels is a mystery to me. And some pieces are like a secret panel.The first door took about a half hour after I watched the video. The second dor will take well under ten minutes.

A good idea is to go to a chain auto parts place and for $15 you can buy a set of plastic trim levers which will make this job 10 times easier. Those trim panels are super soft, you can scratch them with your fingernails and especially with a flat blade screw driver.

This may all seem like a lot of work but it's not really. Just watch a few YouTube videos. It's worth it. Hope this helps.

post #4 of 21 Old 04-21-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I installed both front speakers and door panels now.
WOW.
I'd say I just went from a LOW quality system, good for listening to news and background music to a VERY GOOD quality system I can enjoy.
I have JL 6x9 triaxials on the way that I ordered a few days ago for the rear but to be honest, had I known the improvement the fronts would give I would have let the rear be. Or at least have just gone with the 6.5 inch again to brighten things up.
I can borrow a very expensive metal punch that will very cleanly enlarge the holes in the rear deck.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-21-2016, 07:58 PM
6th Gear

Garage
There shouldn't be a huge improvement in sound between a 6.5" and a 6x9" so the modifying of the rear deck wouldn't be necessary. Stick with 6.5's and be happy with how they sound.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-21-2016, 08:17 PM
Out of Control

Garage
I'll second Lashlee here. Not only won't the difference between 6x9 vs 6.5 make the effort of cutting the rear deck worthwhile, the rear speakers aren't actually contributing much to the experience. Front door speakers are critical. Rears not so much. In fact there are several members who simply eliminate them altogether and go with 2 fronts and a sub.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 21 Old 04-21-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
There shouldn't be a huge improvement in sound between a 6.5" and a 6x9" so the modifying of the rear deck wouldn't be necessary. Stick with 6.5's and be happy with how they sound.
Too late. They're arriving Saturday.
They are triaxials as opposed to the coaxials I put in the front so I'm expecting them to be a little brighter.
If it was 1980 again I'd get a pair of 4x10 Jensen triaxials and call it a day but I'm afraid they're not around any more, and ...it's not 1980.

Is there a way of bypassing the circuit that decreases the power to the rear speakers?
post #8 of 21 Old 04-21-2016, 08:40 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Too late. They're arriving Saturday.
They are triaxials as opposed to the coaxials I put in the front so I'm expecting them to be a little brighter.
If it was 1980 again I'd get a pair of 4x10 Jensen triaxials and call it a day but I'm afraid they're not around any more, and ...it's not 1980.

Is there a way of bypassing the circuit that decreases the power to the rear speakers?
No No NO. Not Jensen Triax. Jensen Triax II! You just took me back to 1979!

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

post #9 of 21 Old 04-24-2016, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

OK, fully installed and buttoned up .

Was it worth the effort to install the 6x9 triaxials in the rear deck? I don't know because I have nothing to compare but if I knew then what I know know I would have installed the same 6.5 inch coaxials in the rear. Much easier, the 6x9 was a royal PITA to do right.

My impression now is this..this stereo sounds fantastic.
The factory head unit IS definitely worthy of upgraded speakers.
There is PLENTY of bass for normal listening, even plenty for songs with digital bass tones. The highs and mids are crystal clear. But as I said before, if you want eardrum bursting bass you need a powered sub. Outside of that, people who have been in my car assumed I added an amplifier.

I don't understand why people who have made this change claim there isn't any bass. There is.

The rear, due to power limiting, is easily brighter and the bass response is improved but you have to listen for it.

I say do it. I garauntee you'll be happy.
I would rate these speakers five stars.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-25-2016, 06:59 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post

I disagree. 6x9" speakers have an easier time reproducing lows that a coaxial 6.5" speaker would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMVB View Post
I'll second Lashlee here. Not only won't the difference between 6x9 vs 6.5 make the effort of cutting the rear deck worthwhile, the rear speakers aren't actually contributing much to the experience. Front door speakers are critical. Rears not so much. In fact there are several members who simply eliminate them altogether and go with 2 fronts and a sub.

I disagree. There isn't a set way to listen to music in a car. Personally, I enjoy the sound a set of rear speakers produce when they're cranked. If you're not planning on running subwoofers in a car, a 6x9" speaker will give you enough lows to satisfy the lack of a sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 21 Old 04-25-2016, 07:06 AM
5th Gear

My Install Of JL Audio C2-650x 2013 Accord Sport

OP:

1. The fact that you listen to Christina Aguilera made me throw up in my mouth.

2. The effort to install 6x9" speakers in the 9th gen Accord is pointless. While there are benefits in running 6x9's, there's just too much modifying that has to take place which makes the upgrade not worth it.

I would've taken a different route and bought one of those alpine bricks that you can install behind the radio to power up your speakers and put a pair of 6.5" subwoofers in the deck running off that little amp.

Also, best-kits sells the speaker adapter that works in this car and comes with a counter sunk hole for the screw and fits like a glove. No modifications necessary.

Lastly, Crutchfield and other retailers sell adapters that will plug into the factory speaker plugs of the doors and the other end has bare wires that will accept spade connectors to plug into your aftermarket speakers.

Mutilating and butchering harnesses just to integrate wiring shouldn't have to be done when there are options available at low cost.

post #12 of 21 Old 04-25-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
OP:

1. The fact that you listen to Christina Aguilera made me throw up in my mouth.

2. The effort to install 6x9" speakers in the 9th gen Accord is pointless. While there are benefits in running 6x9's, there's just too much modifying that has to take place which makes the upgrade not worth it.

I would've taken a different route and bought one of those alpine bricks that you can install behind the radio to power up your speakers and put a pair of 6.5" subwoofers in the deck running off that little amp.

Also, best-kits sells the speaker adapter that works in this car and comes with a counter sunk hole for the screw and fits like a glove. No modifications necessary.

Lastly, Crutchfield and other retailers sell adapters that will plug into the factory speaker plugs of the doors and the other end has bare wires that will accept spade connectors to plug into your aftermarket speakers.

Mutilating and butchering harnesses just to integrate wiring shouldn't have to be done when there are options available at low cost.

Just hold on a second jb, this was the younger skinnier Cristina.
But it's good music to test the system and I..um..errr..ahh..found the CD on the ground. Yeah, I found it.
Besides, I couldn't figure out how to play my Led Zeplin albums in the car.

I'll admit I'm behind the times with car audio but I know good sound when I hear it.

As for the 6x9 in the deck, I have access to a hydraulic punch so enlarging the hole was no problem but due to the lack of power to the rear they are largely going to waste.
I'll have to look into getting more juice to them. Alpine Brick???

I'm aware of the adapters. I didn't touch the factory harness. I cut the plug off the speaker itself and soldered it to the JL speakers.

My main point is that the factory system in the Sport is more than capable of putting out great sound. Maybe not window shattering power but loud enough to make you go deaf.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-25-2016, 03:41 PM
5th Gear

This is the brick I was talking about (I believe JL makes one too)

post #14 of 21 Old 04-26-2016, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I'm going to adjust to my current system and see how I feel about it.
It was fun modifying I have to admit.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-26-2016, 11:38 AM
Mean Sixteen

Am I correct that this install was done on the base system?

If correct, I wonder if similar improvement would be noticed on the premium system. Does anyone know how different the speakers are in the two systems?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.