Smart Key Programming - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 03-17-2016, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Smart Key Programming

I obtained a blank (no key, genuine Honda) and want to get it programmed for our car, keeping it as a spare.

Is there any way that I can program a spare smart key fob (for a 2013 EXL) myself (some double-secret process)? I assume the answer is no, but I thought I would check - just in case there really was a process.

And, as a second question; would anyone know of a source in the Dallas Tx area that can program the remote for a reasonable price. I already called a couple of dealers and they range from $80 to $100 for literally 5 minutes of work.

Last edited by wb5dx; 03-17-2016 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Added for clarity
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-17-2016, 06:39 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
If it's anything like the 6th gen transponder key, no, there's no easy/cheaper workaround for programming the key. I called a dealership and they "couldn't program an aftermarket key", so I'd have to pay $80 to program it, plus "whatever the price of a key is". Yeah, no.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #3 of 3 Old 03-17-2016, 12:23 PM
4th Gear

I bought a compelete key (blank metal key + fob) from eBay for about $60. My dealer cut the key and program the fob for $82. They asked me to bring all 3 fobs to them. It's probably easier to program all the fobs at once (similar to "re-keying" a lock) than to program just one additional fob.

I later saw a "lock & key" kiosk at a shopping mall. They told me they could have done it for $60.

I know it is a 10 minute job. But I guess someone has to pay for the initial cost of the programming machine.

I work for a hi-tech company, providing software for other software companies. The cost of our software can be several hundred thousand $.

Adding a new licensee costs us very little. In some cases, only a few hours of work, mainly for logistic, and we ship the same software we've been shipping to other licensees. But we still charge several hundred thousand $.

No customer has ever said to us, "It's only a few hours of work...."

My latest Honda: Modern Steel 2015 V6 Touring Accord.
My first Honda: Blue 1976 Accord ("Blue" is redundant because that was the only color it came in).
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.