Speed sense wire for aftermarket navigation - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-04-2015, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Speed sense wire for aftermarket navigation

For anyone with an aftermarket in-dash navigation, connecting the speed sense wire is not a necessity. However it does assist in providing more accurate navigation directions/location.

The Metra 99-7804B interface utilizes the CAN-BUS to interpret and create a speed sense (VSS) signal. Well we all know the reliability of that component.

So with my aftermarket navigation I need to directly access the VSS wire. I have a 2014 coupe EX-L V6 premium/non-navigation factory system.

All of these wires were tested while doing laps around my block with a fluke multimeter set to auto-range volts AC. The AC volts will increase as vehicle speed increases.

According to Honda tech schematics the wire is located in the factory stereo harness, 18 pin plug F, pin 10, red wire. Only in the factory navigation equipped vehicles.

According to DirectWire it can also be located below dash fuse box, white 28 pin plus, pin 10, red wire. All models, not there either.

According to Honda tech schematics the wire is also located at the PCM under the hood, connector A 51 pin, pin 49, red wire. With my vehicle there is only an empty location, no wire. I added a pin and tested the signal, not a VSS.

My last attempt was the output shaft speed sensor. Tested all three wires, no VSS signal. But our speed sensor is a three wire (Hall Effect). A three wire sensor is externally powered. So with the three wires you should have a positive 5v, ground, and output sensor. Those wires are blue, brown, and black. No-Go, another fail.

Normally when looking for this wire you would go to the gauge cluster which I don't have a schematic for or the cruise control module. No separate cruise control module in our vehicles.

So now I'm running out of options. For our tech/electrical savy members, any other suggestions?

-Mike

-Mike
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-04-2015, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Here's a pic of the three pin output shaft speed sensor plug for reference.

Name: ImageUploadedByAG Free1446639158.013337.jpg
Views: 329
Size: 51.3 KB

Sent from

-Mike
post #3 of 7 Old 11-04-2015, 08:25 AM
Blinded by the light

I'm pretty sure the vehicle doesn't have a dedicated VSS wire. Everything is done through F-CAN into the cabin. Even if you did I'm not sure how the aftermarket head unit would know how to interpret it.

Are you sure the reason they want to wire the VSS is for GPS accuracy, and isn't to legally protect themselves from moving and changing the navigation legal stuff that Honda does?

EDIT

You're right, pin F10 is a dedicated vehicle speed cable which the PCM sends pulses through.

I am pretty sure that the gauge cluster uses F-CAN data for the gauges (at least speed). I'm surprised that the stereo doesn't use that also.
Attached Images

2013 Accord Coupe V6
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

-

-

-

2013 Triumph Street Triple
-Doesn't need any mods...

post #4 of 7 Old 11-19-2015, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Ok, found the speed sense wire. I went to the sensor at my transmission. It's a three wire but I tested it and the middle wire which is light brown worked.

Sent from

-Mike
post #5 of 7 Old 11-19-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr14 View Post
I'm pretty sure the vehicle doesn't have a dedicated VSS wire. Everything is done through F-CAN into the cabin. Even if you did I'm not sure how the aftermarket head unit would know how to interpret it.

Are you sure the reason they want to wire the VSS is for GPS accuracy, and isn't to legally protect themselves from moving and changing the navigation legal stuff that Honda does?

EDIT

You're right, pin F10 is a dedicated vehicle speed cable which the PCM sends pulses through.

I am pretty sure that the gauge cluster uses F-CAN data for the gauges (at least speed). I'm surprised that the stereo doesn't use that also.
Where did you get that diagram???

Would you be willing to send it to me? And any other's you may have?

-Mike
post #6 of 7 Old 11-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Blinded by the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog270 View Post
Where did you get that diagram???

Would you be willing to send it to me? And any other's you may have?
PM Sent

2013 Accord Coupe V6
-

-

-

-

-

-

2013 Triumph Street Triple
-Doesn't need any mods...
post #7 of 7 Old 03-27-2016, 06:32 PM
1st Gear

Where can the VSS wire be accessed from inside the car? Or does it need to be tapped at the 3-pin harness pictured above? I'm installing Tein EDFC Active Pro and I need to tap into it. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.