what happens if a bulb in the LED DRL strip goes out? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
15Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

what happens if a bulb in the LED DRL strip goes out?

im talking about the LED strip in the v6 accord. Hypothetically, if one of the LEDs busted, could it be fixed? I read somewhere the LEDs are permanently attached, but not sure about that.... what do you guys think? does anyone know anything about this?

Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 09:05 AM
2nd Gear

I feel like if it goes out your SOL unless you're under the 3 yr 36k bumper to bumper. I thought about the same thing when I took my headlights apart. The way it looks, if you're out of warranty range and one burns out you might have to attempt it yourself by taking the headlight apart and try soldering

post #3 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyyu View Post
I feel like if it goes out your SOL unless you're under the 3 yr 36k bumper to bumper. I thought about the same thing when I took my headlights apart. The way it looks, if you're out of warranty range and one burns out you might have to attempt it yourself by taking the headlight apart and try soldering
would honda be able to fix it, given I pay for it? not 100% sure yet but ive been thinking about buying out my lease and just keeping this as my long term car, i really like it. but the thought that one day one of my LEDs might go out and be impossible to fix just sends shivers down my spine

post #4 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 09:13 AM
1st Gear

I would guess they replace the whole assembly.
post #5 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 09:16 AM
6th Gear

The led's are configured in parallel. If one burns out, the rest will continue to work. To repair, the entire light strip would likely have to be replaced.

If you have access to SMD soldering equipment you can probably replace just the burned out element.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #6 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
The led's are configured in parallel. If one burns out, the rest will continue to work. To repair, the entire light strip would likely have to be replaced.

If you have access to SMD soldering equipment you can probably replace just the burned out element.
that is specifically my worry though- i would happily replace the entire strip if one bulb went out, but my worry is will that exact strip still exist on the market? that is my only concern. i would hate to have the money to replace the strip, only to find out theres no way to get the strip because honda doesnt make them anymore?
post #7 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 10:22 AM
6th Gear

^^Valid concerns. I take back what I said about them all being in parallel. Looking up specs for some of the leds used in other cars, appears they're rated at 2-3V (per led) depending on application. So chances are there several in each bank. Meaning if one burns out, the entire bank is out.

I'm sure parts will be readily available oem or aftermarket for many years to come. Led tail lights are just starting to become standard equipment.
Honda Forever likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to GPz1100 For This Useful Post:
Honda Forever (05-13-2015)
post #8 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 10:24 AM
4th Gear

Interesting question! But, thinking about it more, I haven't seen any LED strip with a burnt out bulb on any vehicle yet. So, it's probably not worth worry about.

That's just my experience and opinion, yet it is still a interesting question. With that said, I'd probably replace the whole strip if a bulb blew.
Honda Forever likes this.

2018 Accord 4-Door 2.0T Touring [Color TBD - 10th gen] (Future)
2014 Accord 4-Door V6 Touring [Crystal Black Pearl - 9th gen] (Mine)
2010 Accord 4-Door EX-L V6/NAV [Bold Beige - 8th gen] (Hers)

Previously Owned:
  • 2002 Accord 4-Door EX-V6 [Noble Green - 6th gen] (Sold)
  • 1992 Accord 4-Door EX [Granada Black] - 4th gen] (Sold)
  • 1984 Accord 4-Door LX [Graphite Gray - 2nd gen] (Traded)
post #9 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyboard View Post
Interesting question! But, thinking about it more, I haven't seen any LED strip with a burnt out bulb on any vehicle yet. So, it's probably not worth worry about.

That's just my experience and opinion, yet it is still a interesting question. With that said, I'd probably replace the whole strip if a bulb blew.
Here is something to think about though- you havent seen a burnt out LED bulb so far because the time hasnt come for them to burn out- they have a very long life, but WHEN they do burn out... is when things could start getting real ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
^^Valid concerns. I take back what I said about them all being in parallel. Looking up specs for some of the leds used in other cars, appears they're rated at 2-3V (per led) depending on application. So chances are there several in each bank. Meaning if one burns out, the entire bank is out.

I'm sure parts will be readily available oem or aftermarket for many years to come. Led tail lights are just starting to become standard equipment.
I hope this is the case and they have the parts for years to come, but my paranoia about it will probably lead me to buy set or two of entire OEM headlight assemblies for my car and store them in my garage somewhere. I would have already got them but the money situation is too ugly for me right now to be spitting a thousand dollars on a spare set of headlight assembly
post #10 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 11:11 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Forever View Post
I hope this is the case and they have the parts for years to come, but my paranoia about it will probably lead me to buy set or two of entire OEM headlight assemblies for my car and store them in my garage somewhere. I would have already got them but the money situation is too ugly for me right now to be spitting a thousand dollars on a spare set of headlight assembly
^ Wow, just wow.
TMVB likes this.
post #11 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond-007 View Post
^ Wow, just wow.
most people couldnt understand how deeply i care about headlights haha....
post #12 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Yes, I'm a girl.

When I have a bulb go now, I replace both of them... so if I had one LED go, I'd probably replace the strip on both sides. I figure the bulbs are the same age and it's just a matter of time before they're all going to go anyway.

~Jen~
2008 EX-L V6 Coupe - BBP
2004 EX-L V6 Coupe - SMR - RIP :(
post #13 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Out of Control

Garage
Honda Forever - it's been quite interesting reading your posts. And at the risk of offering unsolicited advice, given that you're paying $490 a month to lease of an Accord, and that you tell us that 80-90% of your income is going to the car, I might gently nudge you towards a rebalance of your priorities.

I get it - you're obsessed with the V6 and the lights. We all obsess over lots of things and on this forum its not uncommon to see obsession about wheels, lowering, LED lights, audio etc. So not criticizing you for your LED V6 obsession but at some point it might be better to learn how to dampen it.

And worrying about the availability of factory OEM parts for you new car is just misplaced concern. First of all, they're making millions of these things. It's not like you bought a '65 Shelby Cobra.

Sorry if I'm preaching and for perhaps poking my nose where it doesn't belong.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMVB View Post
Honda Forever - it's been quite interesting reading your posts. And at the risk of offering unsolicited advice, given that you're paying $490 a month to lease of an Accord, and that you tell us that 80-90% of your income is going to the car, I might gently nudge you towards a rebalance of your priorities.

I get it - you're obsessed with the V6 and the lights. We all obsess over lots of things and on this forum its not uncommon to see obsession about wheels, lowering, LED lights, audio etc. So not criticizing you for your LED V6 obsession but at some point it might be better to learn how to dampen it.

And worrying about the availability of factory OEM parts for you new car is just misplaced concern. First of all, they're making millions of these things. It's not like you bought a '65 Shelby Cobra.

Sorry if I'm preaching and for perhaps poking my nose where it doesn't belong.
no worries haha im already used to people telling me i made a moronic decision leasing a car that takes up 80% of my salary.. but the ultimate goal is to land a better job to be able to more comfortably afford this car. Also, I got this car specifically because I knew it was going to be the last model year of the 9th gen original design, and I already had a psyhcic feeling they were gona ruin my beloved individual LEDs and make them a single uniform strip. Very happy with my decision. The 2016 touring headlights look incredible though im not gona lie. 9 LED projectors on each side... unbelievable, its a shame how the DRL LED strip became a single strip though... imagine the 2016 touring low beams with the 2015 LED DRL... not even in my dreams lol
post #15 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 12:04 PM
6th Gear

It's good to know there's others that share in OCB (obsessive compulsive behavior). As I've gotten older, I care less and less about things that would make me down right paranoid in my younger years. To the OP, if you think the car is a money pit, wait til there's a SO in the picture...

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.